Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #2191
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
I do have an Insider's tip About DHS. When grabbing a sandwich or dessert at Starring Rolls there never seems to be enough seats and they are outside in the heat or rain to boot. Aside from the "Cement Time Out Corner" (C-TOC) that Dee tried to popularize (UNsuccessfully!) last year, most people don't realize that you can hoof your tray a short distance over to the ABC Commissary and eat in Air Conditioned Bliss (ACB at the ABC!) at one of the tables there. Why heck, there are even TV's there to keep the kiddies entertained while you digest some of those wonderful Starring Rolls Desserts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
What? Not popular? You tell us this AFTER we took a family photo in Dee's Corner at Starring Rolls. I'll opt to sit in the corner, but will also admit that this is a great idea. There certainly ARE a lot of empty tables over at ABC . . . I like to stay positive, so I won't submit a detailed review of that particular CS location.

For those of you who may not be familiar with my "time-out" corner- here is a little background and snippet from my 145 Middle Schoolers- Wicked Awesome or Epic Fail? trip report.

We were on day 3 of our trip. My group consisted of 14 14 year-old-boys and 5 other chaperones. And NOBODY wanted to listen to my suggestions! Under the guise of getting FP for ToT (which I did), I snagged a solo lunch at Starring Rolls while the rest of the crew dined at the ABC Commisary. So glad I did NOT follow NM's advice to take my tray back there:

I didnt want to take up one of the tables all by myself, so I found a little corner to sit in and enjoy my alone-ness! I was so happy that I asked someone to snap a picture of my solo lunch.

Im-in-a-group-with-14-teenage-boys-and-I-escaped-and-Im-eating-all-alone. Will-you-please-take-my-picture?

The guy and his family were amused by my story.

And to get back to the original question- these are my fave CS meals:

EP- Sunshine Seasons, Tangierine Cafe (France and Japan are good too)

MK- Columbia Harbor House by a long shot, followed by Pecos Bill, but like others have said, Be Our Guest is extremely tempting if you can handle the wait.

AK- Tamu Tamu is our Go To Go To. Yes, it is really a place! Nobody knows it is there in Africa at the crossroads of the path to Asia. Yummy sandwiches and a cool seating area.

HS- What to say? Go to Starring Rolls, eat at ABC.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #2192
DisneyLifeMel
Mouseketeer

TeenaS ~ Your name (and the spelling) look so familiar... I know I must have met you at BCR at some point last week and didn't even realize it.
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #2193
DisneyLifeMel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
For those of you who may not be familiar with my "time-out" corner- here is a little background and snippet from my 145 Middle Schoolers- Wicked Awesome or Epic Fail? trip report.
Cute pic of your little corner... I understand the need to escape from 14 year old boys. LOL When we were at Starring Rolls last week during lunchtime, they had not put out the sushi trays. Don't be afraid to ask... the super sweet CM checked in the back and an extremely fresh tray had just been delivered. Yay!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #2194
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bkcs View Post
Where did you find the picture of my mom with a super soaker?
We were posted next to each other on The FBI's most wanted Bulletin Board. Did you know your Mom's nickname is the Bingo Bandit?

Quote:
What? Not popular? You tell us this AFTER we took a family photo in Dee's Corner at Starring Rolls. I'll opt to sit in the corner, but will also admit that this is a great idea. There certainly ARE a lot of empty tables over at ABC . . . I like to stay positive, so I won't submit a detailed review of that particular CS location.
Yep, the ABC commissary is not what too many would consider 'good eats'. Think of how jealous you can make everyone sitting there with their dried out burgers and Strawberry Parfait while you nosh on your Black Forest Ham Sandwich and Napoleon or Eclairs or Fresh Fruit Tart! Ooh la LA!

~NM
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #2195
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

Love the pics of the Concrete Corner of Fame. Starring Rolls treats look tasty

Getting a little nervous about doing the whole resort change thing. Arrive at AS Sports on Friday, just to sleep (dirt cheap) then 7 days at BC. Flights on Friday were $450 cheaper than Saturday.

Do we just leave the luggage in the room? Do we check out then check in at BC?

I appreciate all the info and smiles in this thread
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #2196
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLifeMel View Post
Cute pic of your little corner... I understand the need to escape from 14 year old boys. LOL When we were at Starring Rolls last week during lunchtime, they had not put out the sushi trays. Don't be afraid to ask... the super sweet CM checked in the back and an extremely fresh tray had just been delivered. Yay!
When I was there at lunchtime, I was maybe behind a dozen other people in line. One of the CMs announced that they ran out of sandwiches and it would be about 15 minutes before they would have more. I piped up "Do you still have sushi?"

They did, and I moved to the Front of the Line.

It was really a magical, happy lunch!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #2197
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

14 teenaged boys?! I think an escape into the concrete corner was totally justified! There is always a point at WDW when my husband sends me off for some alone time, too many days of one bathroom and family togetherness, well, Mom needs a few minutes of space. If it happens at HS, I might borrow your spot with red velvet cupcake in hand!

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #2198
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbDave View Post
Love the pics of the Concrete Corner of Fame. Starring Rolls treats look tasty

Getting a little nervous about doing the whole resort change thing. Arrive at AS Sports on Friday, just to sleep (dirt cheap) then 7 days at BC. Flights on Friday were $450 cheaper than Saturday.

Never fear Hubby dear! Here's how it works AND it's a breeze!

1) You don't actually have to Check out of a WDW hotel. They expect you to be out of the room by 11 am. *

2) When you are ready to leave, call bell services at the hotel you are at now and tell them you are transferring your luggage to the BC/YC/BCVillas. They will come to the room take your luggage, tag it and give you a receipt.

~Here is the KEY part to understand about luggage transfers between resorts!~

They will not even move your luggage from the resort you just stayed at until the afternoon... maybe say after 2 pm or later. They store it at Bell Services at the resort you just were staying at until it is time to move it to the next location.

WHY?? Because your room technically is not supposed to be ready until:
Resort Check In Time

After 4pm:All Value Resorts; All Disney Vacation Resorts

After 3pm:All Deluxe Resorts, The Cabins at Fort Wilderness

After 1pm:Fort Wilderness Campsites.

~~~SO, even if you did get into your room early at the new resort there will be a slight delay until after the above times when your luggage will finally be ready.

How do we deal with this?? We just put our swim suits in a back pack and went to the parks with them and anything else we needed like medication or sun 'scream'. You could also TAKE a suitcase or two or ALL for that matter and cab it/drive over to the next resort and have bell services HOLD it for you until your room is ready at the next hotel. I'm pretty sure they don't allow luggage on the buses that take you to the parks so it's either CAB/Bell Services or YOU drive it over to the next resort. If you're really cheap you could look for one of those 'unattended' shopping carts miles from the nearest supermarket and push it over yourself, but they are virtually impossible to find so it's not recommended.

We opted to use Bell services at POP to transport our luggage over to the BC when we stayed in December. We had valuables in the luggage like computers and ipads and video game crapola and we told bell services this. They told us they would lock up the luggage. We never looked back and everything was fine when we saw it in our room later. DH was there when Bell services brought it to out BC room. (not me)

After having this experience I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Yeah sure we were a little nervous but then after we handed the luggage over we never looked back. The one thing Disney really does right it the luggage service IMHO.

So just keep all of the above in mind and then you can rest assured, knowing that your luggage is in good hands and this is how the system works!

~NM

* if you are running late at check out the housekeeping staff has my cell number on speed dial and I come over with my fully loaded "Super Soaker" and roust you out of the room!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #2199
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
I'm booking ours tomorrow!

The trip never seems "official" until the airfare is booked! Once that happens then it's a done deal!

Now we can get excited!!

J
Yay! Thanks for sharing the excitement!

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #2200
HubbDave

Thanks NinjaMom! Great info. That makes total sense.

Excellent advice (as always) on the packing bathing suits, etc. in the daddy pack. My back can take it knowing that Sunken Treasures await.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #2201
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbDave View Post

We split stays all the time and it's really easy, especially because we book room-only reservations. I think how to transfer depends on three factors:

1) Where you plan to spend your transfer day.
2) Whether you need your luggage before the evening of transfer day.
3) How anxious you are to get to Resort #2!

If you plan to spend your transfer day in a park close to Resort #1 and don't need your luggage until the evening of transfer day, then I'd suggest taking it down to the lobby and Bell Services will transfer it for you. While it may arrive in the early/mid afternoon, I don't count on that to avoid disappointment.

If you plan to spend your transfer day in a park close to Resort #2 or need your luggage before the early afternoon, then I'd suggest taking a cab to Resort #2 in the early morning, checking in and if your room isn't ready, leaving your luggage with Bell Services at Resort #2.

We've done both and these are the factors that we consider. But if I were staying at an All Star and transferring to BC, I'd want to get to BC ASAP in the morning and start the day from there. (I felt that way last year transferring from POFQ to YC - so excited to get to YC and in a cab around 6am!) So in your situation, I'd spring for the cab, bring luggage along, check into BC, leave luggage with BC Bell Services if your room isn't ready, and start your day!

Quote:
When I was there at lunchtime, I was maybe behind a dozen other people in line. One of the CMs announced that they ran out of sandwiches and it would be about 15 minutes before they would have more. I piped up "Do you still have sushi?"

They did, and I moved to the Front of the Line.

It was really a magical, happy lunch!
Still makes me happy for you, thinking of that escape, the wonderful sushi and the yummy tart. Still too bad you weren't able to add a glass of wine to that combo. If we ever make it to WDW at the same time, I say that's on our list of lunch possibilities! Ninja, if you join us, we'll take it over to ABC!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL and CBR

Last edited by pixarmom; 04-10-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #2202
HubbDave

Thanks Pixarmom. More.good advice.
The taxi is a good idea.

I almost just added another day at BC. About a $175 difference.with our discounts, which was doable, but we are not going to a park that night. Maybe DTD or just slumming it at the Sports pool. It was also sort of a deal for our son because he wants to go on the astroturf field at Sports and throw the football. He forgets what Orlando in August is like. I think a football might melt.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #2203
Feckless
DIS Veteran

Thanks, all! I WILL make this work. It will be a dream come true for my kids. And I'm loving the room changing ideas since we might have a late night arrival and I'd hate to spend BC money for a place to lay our heads for one night.

Teena, are you away helping Jeanie for the last two weeks of August? Our projected dates are August 17th to 24th.

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748

SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #2204
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We were on day 3 of our trip. My group consisted of 14 14 year-old-boys and 5 other chaperones. And NOBODY wanted to listen to my suggestions! Under the guise of getting FP for ToT (which I did), I snagged a solo lunch at Starring Rolls while the rest of the crew dined at the ABC Commisary. So glad I did NOT follow NM's advice to take my tray back there:

I didnt want to take up one of the tables all by myself, so I found a little corner to sit in and enjoy my alone-ness! I was so happy that I asked someone to snap a picture of my solo lunch.

Im-in-a-group-with-14-teenage-boys-and-I-escaped-and-Im-eating-all-alone. Will-you-please-take-my-picture?

The guy and his family were amused by my story.

And to get back to the original question- these are my fave CS meals:

EP- Sunshine Seasons, Tangierine Cafe (France and Japan are good too)

MK- Columbia Harbor House by a long shot, followed by Pecos Bill, but like others have said, Be Our Guest is extremely tempting if you can handle the wait.

AK- Tamu Tamu is our Go To Go To. Yes, it is really a place! Nobody knows it is there in Africa at the crossroads of the path to Asia. Yummy sandwiches and a cool seating area.

HS- What to say? Go to Starring Rolls, eat at ABC.
Love it and Starring Rolls. Must try the sushi maybe in Aug? I'm always afraid to because we get such amazing sushi in my town.

I have to say, I've never tried Tamu, we seem to be stuck on Flametree (and their amazing seating areas) and Y&Y CS. So I think this may be the trip to branch out and try new things!

My new fav CS at Epcot is Mexico. love the Carne Asada tacos, yum. And during lunch you can go sit inside the TS, ESP nice in August.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #2205
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We split stays all the time and it's really easy, especially because we book room-only reservations. I think how to transfer depends on two factors:

1) Where you plan to spend your transfer day.
2) Whether you need your luggage before the evening of transfer day.
3) How anxious you are to get to Resort #2!

If you plan to spend your transfer day in a park close to Resort #1 and don't need your luggage until the evening of transfer day, then I'd suggest taking it down to the lobby and Bell Services will transfer it for you. While it may arrive in the early/mid afternoon, I don't count on that to avoid disappointment.

If you plan to spend your transfer day in a park close to Resort #2 or need your luggage before the early afternoon, then I'd suggest taking a cab to Resort #2 in the early morning, checking in and if your room isn't ready, leaving your luggage with Bell Services at Resort #2.

We've done both and these are the factors that we consider. But if I were staying at an All Star and transferring to BC, I'd want to get to BC ASAP in the morning and start the day from there. (I felt that way last year transferring from POFQ to YC - so excited to get to YC and in a cab around 6am!) So in your situation, I'd spring for the cab, bring luggage along, check into BC, leave luggage with BC Bell Services if your room isn't ready, and start your day!

Still makes me happy for you, thinking of that escape, the wonderful sushi and the yummy tart. Still too bad you weren't able to add a glass of wine to that combo. If we ever make it to WDW at the same time, I say that's on our list of lunch possibilities! Ninja, if you join us, we'll take it over to ABC!
I vote for the cab. That's what I always do with split stays. I prefer to check in early. Less lines for check in. We just stow luggage with bell service if room isn't ready then head to a park.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: