Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #211
Ksmith1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark

I've been thinking about this too. There must have been some parents, anyone, who WAS watching their children and the pool. I haven't heard if he was clothed, or in a swimsuit, but I just don't understand how he could get in without anyone seeing anything.
I was saying this exact thing to my husband today. Even if his parents weren't around how is it that NO ONE saw him. Surely there were parents right there watching, maybe even in the pool. It is very scary to me. We leave on our first Disney cruise Tuesday and I have a son who will be 4 in June. Don't think we will be gettin in the pool, sounds way too crowded.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #212
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksmith1 View Post
We leave on our first Disney cruise Tuesday and I have a son who will be 4 in June. Don't think we will be gettin in the pool, sounds way too crowded.
I'm sure you'lll be fine. There is a small play pool for the youngest children. And that happened at the peak of Spring Break, so I'm sure it was full capacity, whereas most families should be back at work and school so it shouldn't be as crowded.
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #213
Melissa R
Jamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksmith1

I was saying this exact thing to my husband today. Even if his parents weren't around how is it that NO ONE saw him. Surely there were parents right there watching, maybe even in the pool. It is very scary to me. We leave on our first Disney cruise Tuesday and I have a son who will be 4 in June. Don't think we will be gettin in the pool, sounds way too crowded.
I was at the pool with him son at the time - he was in the pool and I was on the edge. Chase was in a swimsuit when he was pulled out. I do think that a fully clothed child who wandered into the water would have caught my eye. But a child in a swimsuit - just doesn't catch your attention, because there are tons of kids there, and there's no way to know what kid belongs to what parent.

But like someone else said earlier, there most likely wasn't anything to see. He could have looked like a child dipping under the water to swim, only he never resurfaced. Unless there was someone specifically watching him, I think no one would notice a thing. Between the crowdedness and the color of the pool itself (its dark blue I think?), you can't really see down in the water.
Melissa R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #214
Ksmith1
Earning My Ears

Yes you're right, I can see where that could happen very easily. It is just so sad.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #215
Itinkso
DIS Veteran

The following was posted yesterday on another Disney message board; it was written by a relative of the family and is in response to the negative remarks that were on the thread. They do also give thanks to those who have been supportive:

Shame on you....shame on all of you who have passed judgment on people you don't know, and a situation you were nowhere near. I am a relative of this family and until now, I thought people like you were not worth the time and effort to give a response. This was a terrible, tragic ACCIDENT, that is all. Sorry to disappoint you and give you nothing to gossip about to others. Chase's parents are two of the most God-loving, diligent parents I know, who are deeply involved in every aspect of their children's' lives. Do you understand that if they were doing the things you accuse them of, such as drinking and not being watchful, that the authorities would have acted on this? If all of you are such avid cruisers as you claim, you would certainly know that when a ship leaves port, there are thousands of people on the upper decks, swimming, drinking, tanning, and taking in the whole experience. Chase was a sweet and active little four-year old boy who slipped away from his parents and got lost in the crowd. They didn't just "suddenly become aware" that he was missing when he had been pulled from the pool. They didn't allow him to go into a pool without them. They didn't leave the two older siblings to watch him. The truth is that they had been searching for him that ENTIRE time he was missing!!! Can you imagine the panic and fear any parent would feel during that time? Another item to point out, Chase was believed to have been underwater for 10-15 minutes and not a single person, staff or guest, noticed. NOT ONE!!! Does this not clearly point out the large number of people and commotion in that area at the time of the accident?? Chase fought for his life and survived. He now has a long battle ahead of him with a grim outlook. People like you are not helping the cause. I believe in the power of voicing opinions and the internet. You are entitled to your "opinion" but just as human beings, I beg you to be responsible about the things you say. I pray to God that they never see the horrible things posted on this thread. For those of you who supported them this last week, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/so-sad.862525/page-4
WDW 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean

Last edited by Itinkso; 04-10-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added link
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #216
robhawk
DIS Veteran

Thanks Jenny for posting this!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #217
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

I know that obviously everyone posting on the facebook and caring bridge page are not from DIS, but please do not go to those pages and post negativity and argue with each other. Regardless of what happened this child's family has enough to deal with without the drama and blaming! It comes back to the old tried and true adage of if you can't say anything nice please don't say anything.

Wonder 12/21/08
Dream 03/27/12
Fantasy 07/14/12
Dream 10/07/12
Dream 10/11/12
Fantasy 05/25/13
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #218
anna08
DIS Veteran

Again that pit in my stomach feeling as I read those details and know the chaos and commotion. There are really no words that can express my empathy for his parents, siblings, and also fellow passengers who witnessed the incident or were simply on deck. It will take a lot of time for all involved to get to a point of healing.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #219
kimgg
DIS Veteran

I agree with only posting positive support after such a tragic accident. Disney was created with love and any parent who takes the effort to plan such a vacation does so with love. Let's respond accordingly.

May/June 2010 - WDW - POR French Quarter

July/August 2011 - Disneyland/Legoland (Hotel Menage

2012 - possibly a non-disney year due to circumstances beyond my control

March 2013 - Eastern on the Fantasy!
kimgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #220
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

My heart grieves for this family. Life is very fragile and so precious.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #221
Fielhol
Mouseketeer

I feel nothing but pure compassion and empathy for the parents and the people who witnessed the accident. And poor Chase. What was supposed to be a happy time turned into something that has changed everyone's lives. I hope that a silver lining to come out of this, is that more people will be aware and a bit more attentive near the pools. I just ache for this family.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #222
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Oh no. He was under for 10-15 minutes?!?! Awww man...... (sigh)......

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Magic x2 - Mar Western, June Scandinavia ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/repo B2B ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #223
sherilynn
Mouseketeer

I can't imagine trying to assign blame after such a horrible, tragic accident. It could have happened to any of us. Knowing that the family was frantically searching for their missing child for so long, and knowing how this ended, absolutely breaks my heart. If there is a silver lining to all of this, perhaps each and every single one of us will be more aware and watchful near the pools.

It is clear at this point that the pool was just too full to actually see Chase. Is there a posted capacity limit in the DCL pools?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #224
4DisneyNUTS
Mouseketeer

Lifeguards should be at every pool. they are trained to spot children and people in distress. People on vacation are not trained nor are paying attention enough (focusing on their own kids) to spot a drowning. This cruise is a premium line that caters to young kids especially. To not have trained staff at the pool is absurd. No one should be on a Disney cruise and expect their child to get seriously hurt. I pray chase makes a full recovery and that his parents can put this behind them.

Our trips together since 1996 Dixie Landings.... Carribean Beach....Coronado Springs....Son's first trip.....Pop Century TWICE!...Purchased DVC....Disney Cruise Wonder...Saratoga Springs...Hilton Head...Saratoga Springs February 2005!...Sept 2005 Disney Wonder with Boardwalk Villas
UNIVERSAL May 2006 Stayed @ SSR baby!
1st trip to Disneyland Sept 2006 Grand Californian ...Universal August 2007 stayed at OKW .......Stayed at AKV Jambo House May 2009 baby Jason's first trip!
4DisneyNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #225
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

The letter is heart-wrenching, to say the least. That he was under water for 10-15 minutes and survived at all is a miracle in itself. What was to be one of the happiest and memorable times in their lives has now turned into a tragedy for the rest of their lives. I think about their pain throughout the day. Only their faith can get them through this. I am sure I have seen lifeguards on the ship, is it only near the slide and Aquaduck?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: