Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
JVig
Mouseketeer

I'm an ADR HOARDER:( help me decide

Ok-first time Disney World trip for aug18-24. And I've gone crazy with ADRs.

We are not doing the dining plan (neither my husband nor I are dessert people, for one thing) and its three of us (me, husband and daugher, who will turn 5 the week we arrive)

I have the following set (I think):
Tusker house breakfast at 8:05 on AK day
CRT at 8:05 on one of our 2 MK days
Be our Guest for dinner at 7:30 on our second MK day

Here's where I'm struggling:
I have TWO ADRs (yes, I said I'm hoarding...sorry!!) for 'ohana. These are the same day as the CRT breakfast. One is for 5 pm. I was pretty happy with that, but then today I was rethinking it and maybe we'll want a nice break back at the resort that day? So I looked for a later Ohana ADR, and grabbed one for 9:15. Now I'm hanging on to both (just until I decide what to do!) because I just don't know! Will my 5 year old be able to handle being up that late? I've read you can view wishes from ohana-will 915 work for that? Which time is better? Will getting back to AoA suck that late at night?

And the second hoarder situation requires me to decide whether I want to do mama melrose fantasmic package. It will mean 3:45 lunch/dinner(?). So I have a Hollywood and vine breakfast scheduled for that day. But I also reserved a Hollywood and vine lunch in case I decide to cancel the fantasmic package. (My daughter is a disney jr fan so she will love this character meal). So the question here-is the fantasmic package at mama melrose worth it out of pocket?

Ay advice/tips?
My other ADRs are Le Cellier (I'm on the fence on this one too--is it more expensive than its worth?) and coral reef (those are for our two epcot days). Otherwise, we would do counter service. Does my overall plan seem okay?

Thanks for reading this novel!!
JVig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
rainynight
Mouseketeer

I can't imagine eating at Ohana's that late, especially with a young child. I would keep the earlier appt. Sorry but I can't help with the second question. Good luck deciding :-)
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
jpessa
Addicted to Disney

Have you actually done your calculations? Based on what you are saying I'm pretty sure the Dining Plan would SAVE you money. There is a great thread on here with a free spreadsheet that calculates all your costs for you based on where you want to eat and compares the cost of the DP vs OOP. It's located here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050182
jpessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynight View Post
I can't imagine eating at Ohana's that late, especially with a young child. I would keep the earlier appt. Sorry but I can't help with the second question. Good luck deciding :-)
I agree. Too late for Ohana's....keep the earlier ADR.
I wouldn't pay oop for the MM Fantasmic package, especially since you aren't dessert people. Plus if it rains (like it often does in August) Fantasmic could be cancelled.
Disneylover99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

You know your 5yo best but I know my kids could definitely not hang that late. My kids are tired after a long day of Disney and usually end up going to bed earlier than usual.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
cinderella'smommy
Mouseketeer

I agree with the PP; I think you should keep the 5 pm 'Ohana's. Especially since you will be at CRT that morning at 8 am--that is a really long day for a 5 year old. And, yes, getting back to AoA at that time will suck---you will have to head back to MK, then board a bus to AoA.

I would also skip the Mama Melrose Fantasmic package. personally, I think that the Fantasmic show is a bit overrated; plus intense for younger children. We went for the first time this January, and I can say that I will never go back and see it again. It just didn't do anything for me. So, if you know that your child will enjoy the Disney Jr. characters, I would stick with that, and skip Fantasmic altogether.

With respect to Le Cellier, I had an ADR for that one too on our trip this past January. We were not on the dining plan, and I ended up cancelling it b/c I thought it was too expensive. There are so many nice options in the World Showcase. If you are having doubts about spending that kind of money on that restaurant, you can rest assured that you will be able to have a great meal somewhere else for less. We have enjoyed Via Napoli, Les Chefs de France and Nine Dragons.

So, those are my opinions, FWIW! Ultimately, you need to do what is best for your family, and only you know the answers to that!
April 2012 at the Dolphin
January 2013 at the Swan

FIVE trips in four years!

cinderella'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #7
Neesy228
DIS Veteran

I'm going to agree with what others have said...go with the earlier ADR for Ohana. 9:15 is way late, especially with a 5 year old. You'll be stuffed and exhausted and trying to sleep on a full stomach. No fun.

I am also of the opinion that the fantasmic packages are not worth it. I've never experienced a situation where I could not get a seat to it - but we do go at slower times, so YMMV. I certainly wouldn't pay to try get into it. And like a PP mentioned, it can be intense for young children. My DD was terrified of it when she was 4, and not overly thrilled with it (until the princesses showed up) when she was 5.

Have a great time on your trip! Our first trips with our kids are some of our favorite memories.

ETA: I also wouldn't pay OOP for Le Cellier or Coral Reef. The food at Le Cellier is good, but not worth the prices. Coral Reef is my least favorite restaurant on property, but again, YMMV. Excellent recommendation from PP to definitely check into the value of the dining plan for your family. You may find it's a good value for all that you are trying to experience.

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever. ~ Walt Disney

Me DH DS DS DD
Neesy228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

We had a 9 pm Ohana ADR June 2012 & everyone kept saying oh it will be fine!! It was our worst Ohana experience food was over cooked and dry service was horrible & our seating was the worst we ever had.. Granted someone has to sit there but we had never experienced it before so coupled with the bad food, horrible waitress( we had to call for manager who comped our Lapu Lapu & Piña Colada) we won't be back for a few yrs & not that late for sure!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
Reese D
Mouseketeer

On our last trip, my kids were 3 and 5. We had 1 late-ish dinner (I think it was at 8pm). It was misserable. The kids were exhausted and misserable and so were we. No one enjoyed it. On top of that, we got back to the hotel late and everyone was still tired the next morning.

We've found early breakfasts and early dinners with a light lunch or just snack in between works well for us. If everyone still has some energy after dinner - great. If not, we can turn in early.

We made all of our dinners for our upcoming trip (kids are now 7 and 5) for between 4pm-6:15pm.
Reese D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
nfggirl5454
Mouseketeer

I had an Ohana reservation back in December for like 7:45 or 8. We waited around 40 minutes for a table for three people, but we wound up with a window table, so we had an excellent view for Wishes. I was with my nephew, who turned two in February, and he did okay with the late time. However, it was our arrival day at Disney, so he wasn't overly tired from a park day, and he doesn't have a set bed time. If you think your child can handle being awake that late and you'll take a nap earlier, go for it, but it does seem like Ohana frequently runs behind their reservation times, so that's something to think about. The 5pm reservation sounds good, you'll be at MK early enough to get a lot done and then you'll be back at AoA early enough to swim and relax.

Like others, I would skip LC, it's too pricy for us out of pocket, although we did enjoy lunch there in the past. I haven't tried Coral Reef, as I don't like seafood. For dinner at Epcot, have you considered Garden Grill? I haven't been there yet (have a reservation in July though!), but it seems to have a lot of fans, and your daughter might enjoy the characters.
nfggirl5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

We had a 5:15 pm reservation for Ohana with a 5 and 3 year old and it worked out great. We saw Wishes after dinner by going back to the park.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
JVig
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
I probably will go with the earlier reservation. My daughter is frequently up at 9 pm or later (on weekend nights anyways) so I thought she could handle it, but I hadn't really factored in that we will have been at MK all day, and it will be Day 3 of theme parks, so it may just be too much.

I'll re-do my math on the dining plan too, but I'm pretty sure where we won't be doing desserts it doesn't work for us. If I do decide dining plan, I guess then it would make sense to keep the fantasmic package.

So Hollywood and Vine .... better for breakfast or lunch?
JVig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVig View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
I probably will go with the earlier reservation. My daughter is frequently up at 9 pm or later (on weekend nights anyways) so I thought she could handle it, but I hadn't really factored in that we will have been at MK all day, and it will be Day 3 of theme parks, so it may just be too much.

I'll re-do my math on the dining plan too, but I'm pretty sure where we won't be doing desserts it doesn't work for us. If I do decide dining plan, I guess then it would make sense to keep the fantasmic package.

So Hollywood and Vine .... better for breakfast or lunch?
I concur with the others on the late dinner. I'd opt for the earlier Ohana meal.

As for H&V and MM/F! I'd do the H&V breakfast since that's the only character meal there. The rest of the time H&V is just a regular buffet with no characters. MM is a nice restaurant and the late lunch/early dinner isn't bad. We did that on our last trip with a H&V/F! at 3:30. I thought it would be too early but it turned out well. My kids were 7 & 4 when we saw F! and they liked it, but everyone is different of course.

The wear and tear factor on kids at Disney is pretty incredible. DD2 is 4 and is on the go ALL the time. She's routinely up at 6am when I go to work and we have a hard time putting her to bed at 8pm. Even after we put her to bed at 8 she usually stays awake until nearly 10. Then she runs all day long and never slows down. A day at Disney though wears her right out. The last trip we took she was asleep at lunch, dinner and passed out right when she got into bed in the room. I wish we had that kind of touch on her at home!

And don't feel bad about being a hoarder. I've got half a dozen ADR's right now and I'm not even sure I'm going to use them. Depends on what promotions get announced.

You'll love AoA to stay at and you've scored some great ADR's at CRT and BOG!
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynight View Post
Me too...with kids I always try to eat early. Never know when they might crash.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
faindrops27
I love free DDP but love going on cruises too! My favorite cruiseline is RCCL. But will be sailing NCL for the first time Breakaway 13'

First off let me give you some tips..

If seeing wishes from Ohana' is important to you please remember wishes is shown on different dates/times. Take a look at the park calendar on Disney' website for dates/times. Then, book your ADR at Ohana' an hour ahead of the wishes showtime. Also, when checking in ask to be seated by a window.

Personally, with children that young. I would keep the earlier reservation watching wishes in the park after dinner.

Personally I love the fantasmic show I would highly recommend seeing it at least once. But, to me there are much better eateries than Mama Melrose. I would suggest an early dinner at one of the Resort Hotels for easy transportation to/from HS. After dinner, head back to the park and line up at least an hour early for the fantasmic show. You will still score great seats with an early line up.

Have a great trip!

faindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: