Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
brertoad
DIS Veteran

OKW is nice, it's probably the most comfortable place for us. The room is nice because of the size and 2 queen beds. I usually try to book near the HH area.

We've only used the main pool and hot tub. The pool is heated, we had gone swimming in December, which was nice. The main hot tub is pretty large.
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

For us OKW is the BEST. Larger rooms & Olivia's make OKW our first choice. Of course, during the Wine & Food Festival, BCV becomes our 1st choice.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

I absolutely love OKW. We stayed here for our honeymoon in a one bedroom last year. I've stayed at the Poly, WL, POR, AKV Kidani, CSR, and AS Music and I would have to say OKW is a very close second (only to the Poly because we stayed here a lot when I was a kid and I have such nostalgic memories).

Pro's:
  • I know you're staying in a studio, but I've heard they're some of the largest in any of the DVC resorts. Our one bedroom was HUGE and we loved it.
  • Walking around the resort is so peaceful, quiet, and romantic.
  • THE BUS SYSTEM!! I am not a fan of taking the bus at WDW. After many issues at POR and other resorts, I dreaded taking WDW busses. Time after time at OKW we would leave a park at closing and all the other resorts would have huge lines waiting. OKW never did. We would always just hop right on a bus or only have a few minute wait. We never had to stand or be crammed into a bus with a million other people. It was so refreshing. And I like all the stops at OKW. You're never very far away from a bus stop.
  • I love that all the rooms balconies/patios open up to the back so you only see parking areas and traffic when you come out of your room.
  • I love that each building has a little parking lot with a few spaces. Easy to get stuff out of your car (if you drove or rent one) and when you come out of your room you don't have to see these huge parking lots like at other resorts.
  • The boat ride to DTD is nice (I think the one at POR/POFQ is better).

Con's:
  • The bathrooms are terribly outdated
  • We took DME back to the airport and bell services is always so busy that we couldn't get anyone to help us with all of our bags and our room was quite a haul from the main building. It was a little bit of a pain lugging all of our stuff up front, but not too bad (it helped that it was a nice day, we would have been drowned rats had it been raining)

I can't wait to stay here again! We had already booked BLT for our trip this September or else I would've booked OKW again. I plan on renting a Grand Villa in 2015 for our trip after this one!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

We have been to OKW many times to walk around and enjoy the resort. We have eaten there every trip.

We will be staying there this coming November.

Just an FYI for anybody who doesn't know, if you want a room close to Hospitality House you have to book that category. That is like their preferred rooms, close to the lobby and restaurant. It is HH booking category. If your room is not book in a HH category you will not be in the vicinity of HH.

So make sure when you are renting points you tell the broker or owner to book your room in HH category.

As far as Olivia's they have a good menu for all 3 meals and as far as prices go they are very low for disney.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
wishing4time
Earning My Ears

Question

My future (I hope) mother in law booked our trip. It is my complete 1st trip, and practically my boyfriends first. They went on a make a wish trip for his sister when he was 2 or 3 and all he remembers is getting lost and found by his old et toy. We are going back for his sister since miraculously we still have her, and now she has been diagnosed with cancer as well as her terminal illness. We booked OKW and being as she's in a wheelchair I assume we'll be in one of the buildings with elevators, but is there any special things we need to know to help her and us get around easier?
wishing4time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #21
leopardmickeyears
The Lost Princess

Love it! It's our home resort and we have stayed there EVERY time we go down since we became DVC members in 1994. Yeah, it is more spread out compared to other resorts but that's never seemed to be a problem for us. There are plenty of bus stops and pools. And the walk to them are so enjoyable with the gorgeous colors of the buildings. It does have a laid back feel...but it's a nice contrast after being in the parks all day. I love the atmosphere the steel drum music provides. I might be bias AND I don't really have any other experience to compare it to (minus 1 stay at All Star Sports once) but I really don't have any complaints I love OKW
leopardmickeyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

So glad to hear all these positive words about OKW! We just rented points to stay there for my birthday and I'm so excited!

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: