Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
agilekees
Earning My Ears

Toll Roads?

We are 30 days out from our trip to the World... however we are visiting St. Pete's Beach by St. Petersberg a few days before hand. Looking at our rental car information (Dollar) they have freaked me out by stating many of the toll roads have switched to a no cash lane. We are flying into Orland Internation Airport. Of course they want me to rent the "pass 24" for an additional fee... Can any of you shed come light on this for me. Have some of the tolls gone to a "pass" only system with no cash lanes? Thanks in advance...
agilekees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
tsme
DIS Veteran

I can't answer your question, but here's a website that might. https://www.sunpass.com/index
tsme is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

You might have better luck on the transportation board. I am interested too, as it has been 2 years since we rented a car in FL and our Oct. visit includes travel to northern FL for a wedding.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

There are no cash lanes in Tampa. Once a month they send us a bill in the mail (based on license plate). So I guess the rental company really wants you to rent a sunpass so they don't get a bill a month later.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
justustoo
Mouseketeer

There is quite a bit of information on tolls on the DIS Transportation board. I had many ?s on this topic for our trip next month as well, just today I ordered a Sunpass transponder for $25, and prepaid $25 in tolls.looking forward to hopefully not having to deal with the issue of convenience fees, rolls of quarters, and toll booth receipts!
justustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

I'd take a few minutes to use that toll estimator to find out if cash tolls are an option. I did, and found out that for my route, I can still pay cash, all of $5, and no transponder/minimum purchase business. I'm sure the Florida/SunPass folks would LOVE for you to buy a transponder and a slew of prepaid tolls for an amount you might never use Roll of quarters on hand and I'm golden.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
katallo
DIS Veteran

we recently drove to Tampa St Pete area and didn't have a problem paying with cash. We took tons of quarters for unmanned booths. Try transportation board
katallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Fatwallet is talking about it.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/trav...ssion/1176812/
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

This article also mentions rental cars and how the toll-by-plate is charged.
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/...-toll-collect/
Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
justustoo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist
I'd take a few minutes to use that toll estimator to find out if cash tolls are an option. I did, and found out that for my route, I can still pay cash, all of $5, and no transponder/minimum purchase business. I'm sure the Florida/SunPass folks would LOVE for you to buy a transponder and a slew of prepaid tolls for an amount you might never use Roll of quarters on hand and I'm golden.
This is true- do the numbers to see if buying a transponder will work for you. I did because we will be in FL 2 weeks traveling quite a bit, and will be back in Nov. and probably next spring. Also the minimum you can prepay if you buy a transponder is $10. there is also a mini transponder that is only $5, but can't be moved from one car to another, so might be best if only making one trip to FL.
justustoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: