Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #196
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Found this post in the guest book on the Caring Bridge:

Written 36 minutes ago by Elisha Bailez

Hello Lykken Family:

We were there with you on the boat. At the pool. My three kids were in the pool at the time, and I gave Chase his first CPR. I have been reading, sending and saying prayers, and just now ready to say that I was there. Yesterday after school, I sat down with my three little ones (same ages as yours) and explained what I did and we just now really talked about it. And that was VERY VERY HARD. I'm glad I did it but wanted to reach out to you to say, you too will eventually be able to discuss it with your kids. And I know at your home hospital you will get some help as a family with this. One more thing I wanted to share: My oldest son was VERY involved that dreadful day and was haunted emensely on the cruise. One thing I said to him really helped. I said, "Son, I want you take all your sadness, sorrow, anger, and worry and put it all on me. Mommy will wear it for you, I am strong and I will take it off you and put it on me". We cried together but he was so relieved with that simple jesture. I even put out my hands and said, "give it to me honey". He made a motion and put it in my hands and then I took what he gave me and put it in my heart with my hands. I said, "good, now do it again and over and over until you think I have it all". I'm just a Mom, who was there, able to respond. I am not trained in child grief, but this did help. Both of us. I loved being able to do it. I know he still suffered but it helped a little bit and that's all you can ask. We prayed as a family for Chase and every night since then. Me....every moment. I feel connected to you, Chase and your family from this and I know from reading this many others are also very deeply attached with love. So Lykken Family...."Jesus wants you take all your sadness, sorrow, grief, anger, horror and give it to him. He is strong and he can hold it for you. Reach out your hands and let Him carry it for you, that is why He came. For you, right now, for us all." God Bless you and all your Family. With all our Family's Love, The Bailez's from Atlanta

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #197
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

I have a lot of friends who put their kids in ISR. It does work- it is to swim lessons what cry it out is to sleep. If I had an unfenced pool (which some of these friends have) I would do it in a second. But, we don't have a pool yet, so my son has been in gentler lessons since he was 6 weeks old (off and on, but more on than off). He can back and front float, jump in and swim back to the wall, get rings from the bottom of a shallow pool, swim about 10 feet by himself. He is sooooo close to getting the rollover breath, I am pretty sure he will have it by June, we took Oct-March off or I think he would have it now. He will be 3 in September. Children over age 3-4 should be able to swim the length of a small pool without any sort of flotation device, I agree. But there are many ways to get to this end goal. When I was in charge of a large well known swim lesson program, I had a LOT of kids who came to us at 3-5 years old who hated the water due to traumatic experiences with ISR. But, it does have it's place and like I said, I would use it if I had to, but we are choosing not to build our pool until my daughter is 3 and swimming on her own. But, of course, we will fence it and always be out there too... but we want that added layer of safety knowing she can swim, and really swim.

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #198
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlawn View Post
Anyone with small children, ISR lessons is a MUST! It is NOT "swim lessons", it is "Self Rescue". They teach your child, from 6 months of age and up, to "roll back" and float, until help arrives. It WORKS!!! Not saying, this would have helped poor little Chase, none of us have a clue what happened, but, it will teach your child, survival skills in the water, that will stick with them thru out their lives.
Infantswim.com

Prayers for Chase and Family +
Any certified swim instructor worth his or her salt will begin lessons by teaching "roll over and float." It should go no further until this skill is mastered. I paid a fortune for 1:1 lessons for my autistic son when he was 4 years old because he loved the water and had no concept of danger, so I felt he NEEDED to learn to swim properly, and his first 5 or so lessons were JUST learning to master this skill. At $40 per lesson, yeah, it cost close to $200 before he even mastered this skill! It is THAT important. It took another 25 lessons before he was "water safe" and able to swim 25 yards freestyle unassisted. It was worth every penny.

There is no reason to waste time and money on ISR training, when basic swim lessons should begin with this skill anyway.

For anyone who is going to be getting swim lessons for their kids, ask the instructor "What is the first thing you will be teaching my child." If they don't answer "roll over and float", find another swim instructor.
DLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #199
PIGLETSMOMMA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post

Hello Lykken Family:

We were there with you on the boat. At the pool. My three kids were in the pool at the time, and I gave Chase his first CPR. I have been reading, sending and saying prayers, and just now ready to say that I was there. Yesterday after school, I sat down with my three little ones (same ages as yours) and explained what I did and we just now really talked about it. And that was VERY VERY HARD. I'm glad I did it but wanted to reach out to you to say, you too will eventually be able to discuss it with your kids. And I know at your home hospital you will get some help as a family with this. One more thing I wanted to share: My oldest son was VERY involved that dreadful day and was haunted emensely on the cruise. One thing I said to him really helped. I said, "Son, I want you take all your sadness, sorrow, anger, and worry and put it all on me. Mommy will wear it for you, I am strong and I will take it off you and put it on me". We cried together but he was so relieved with that simple jesture. I even put out my hands and said, "give it to me honey". He made a motion and put it in my hands and then I took what he gave me and put it in my heart with my hands. I said, "good, now do it again and over and over until you think I have it all". I'm just a Mom, who was there, able to respond. I am not trained in child grief, but this did help. Both of us. I loved being able to do it. I know he still suffered but it helped a little bit and that's all you can ask. We prayed as a family for Chase and every night since then. Me....every moment. I feel connected to you, Chase and your family from this and I know from reading this many others are also very deeply attached with love. So Lykken Family...."Jesus wants you take all your sadness, sorrow, grief, anger, horror and give it to him. He is strong and he can hold it for you. Reach out your hands and let Him carry it for you, that is why He came. For you, right now, for us all." God Bless you and all your Family. With all our Family's Love, The Bailez's from Atlanta

This made me cry. Very heartfelt. I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through as well.

19 DCL Cruises 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014!

Fairytale Wedding 2001

47 WDW Visits,1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014!

3 DL visits - 1976, 2011, 2011

PIGLETSMOMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #200
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hello Lykken Family:

Wow. What an amazing woman. God bless her and her family. God bless the Lykken family as well.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #201
sherilynn
Mouseketeer

Along with most of you, I have prayed and prayed for this child and his family. I just don't understand how this could happen. I have sailed on all three ships except the Fantasy, and the pools are just filled with people at all times. I can't imagine how this child could slip under and no one notice. Can anyone tell me (without being mean or placing blame) how this could even be possible? It just breaks my heart for the family and everyone who had to witness this. I just continue to pray that Chase will improve and the his family will gain some peace.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #202
anna08
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hello Lykken Family:

Tears down my face. So nicely written. Feel for all involved.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #203
OMD13
Mouseketeer

Beautiful! How lucky for Chase that you were there. Your kids are very lucky to have such a very special mom.

OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #204
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

Okay crying now

RN_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #205
tcrowley
Mouseketeer

Crying so hard OMG. How beautifully written

tcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #206
chimpwars
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilynn View Post
Along with most of you, I have prayed and prayed for this child and his family. I just don't understand how this could happen. I have sailed on all three ships except the Fantasy, and the pools are just filled with people at all times. I can't imagine how this child could slip under and no one notice. Can anyone tell me (without being mean or placing blame) how this could even be possible? It just breaks my heart for the family and everyone who had to witness this. I just continue to pray that Chase will improve and the his family will gain some peace.
Hi, drowning is a silent killer. Drowning is not splashing, and yelling at all (it is NOT like the movies at all) People just go under silently. It sounds like the pool was so full that you can't see the bottom. I was a lifeguard and later swim instructor for 10years. Almost all drownings were silent ( a few were yellers as they just couldn't handle the wave pool)
But as a lifeguard you learn to scan the bottom of the pool, you don't look for screamers or splashers. Often kids slip under as if they were going to swim under water but in reality they can't stay above and no one notices they are not literally swimming or coming back up. And I know from a previous cruise you can not see the bottom of the pool at all. So scary!

Magic Cruise 1/13
chimpwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #207
Buckeye Gal
Beach Girl Deep in the Land

Tears will not stop flowing after reading the first responder's words of wisdom to not only her children, but also Chase's family. Wow. That woman has touched more people than she could ever imagine. God bless her and everyone who has been forever impacted by such a tragic event.

Prayers for all!

(Thank you, Silverfox97 for sharing.)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #208
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hello Lykken Family:

Thanks for sharing Emily

I had goosebumps while reading that. What an amazing woman and family and so fortunate to have been an angel that day.

I continue to pray for Chase and his family and I do believe in miracles and hope Chase can continue to improve and show us all!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013. Next: 10/2015 WDW/MNSSHP/F&W
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #209
sherilynn
Mouseketeer

chimpwars, thank you so much for educating me and possibly others. For the rest of my days, I'll be scanning the bottom.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #210
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilynn View Post
I've been thinking about this too. There must have been some parents, anyone, who WAS watching their children and the pool. I haven't heard if he was clothed, or in a swimsuit, but I just don't understand how he could get in without anyone seeing anything.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: