Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #1636
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmh View Post
The stargazing conversation had me looking at the globe wondering what we'd be able to see where. For the first time, I noticed how short of a distance it is between Cartagena and the Panama Canal and it made me curious about the way our schedule is constructed.

It is roughly the same distance in terms of nautical miles from Cartagena to the Panama Canal as it is to go from Puerto Vallarta to Cabo. We sail from PV --> Cabo overnight, yet we have 2 nights and a full sea day between Cartagena and the Panama Canal.

Do we sail in circles to get from Cartagena to the canal? Just go really slow? Or will there be a period of several hours in the evening where we are basically sitting still waiting our turn to start the passage through the canal on the morning of the 12th?

I do a lot of timeline management for work, so it just has me curious.
I would say that we would be going slow. We will be at a holding area around midnight the day before our transit. DCL books, and pays a premium, a specific date and time to transit. I guess it's just one of those things. So it will be a slow lazy day at sea for our last day in the Caribbean.
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #1637
BoosGram
Better than a candygram....I tink, therefore I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
On past Panama Canal cruises I have been on, they did so stargazing. It was conducted by the navigation officer. He did it because DCL requires that officer to know how to navigate by the stars. He did come armed with a iPad with a really cool app that I should get and some really strong binoculars. Has he said it, only constellations that are in the northern hemisphere are seen north of the equator and the same for the southern ones. So I guess that means since we will not be crossing the equator, we won't be able to see those southern constellations.
According to ABC Science (http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...17/2929420.htm),

..."A lot of people think you can't see the Southern Cross in the Northern Hemisphere, but that's not actually true," says Watson.

If you're north of the equator but south of a latitude of about 25 degrees, which is around say Hawaii and parts of northern Africa, you can still see the Southern Cross.

"But unlike us in the Southern Hemisphere, you won't see it all year round."

"If you were in Hawaii and looking south in May/June, you would see the cross, standing upright and pointing towards the South Pole," says Watson.

BoosGram is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #1638
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosGram View Post

According to ABC Science (http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...17/2929420.htm),

..."A lot of people think you can't see the Southern Cross in the Northern Hemisphere, but that's not actually true," says Watson.

If you're north of the equator but south of a latitude of about 25 degrees, which is around say Hawaii and parts of northern Africa, you can still see the Southern Cross.

"If you were in Hawaii and looking south in May/June, you would see the cross, standing upright and pointing towards the South Pole," says Watson.
I don't know. I just am a armature start gazer. My cousin got me into it. The Nav officer I guess was wrong. All good to me. I just like looking into the depth of our universe.
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #1639
GoinPlaces63
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
On past Panama Canal cruises I have been on, they did so stargazing. It was conducted by the navigation officer. He did it because DCL requires that officer to know how to navigate by the stars. He did come armed with a iPad with a really cool app that I should get and some really strong binoculars. Has he said it, only constellations that are in the northern hemisphere are seen north of the equator and the same for the southern ones. So I guess that means since we will not be crossing the equator, we won't be able to see those southern constellations.
The app I use is called Night Sky.....
GoinPlaces63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #1640
GoinPlaces63
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosGram View Post

That s what I've been told... We will see it and can navigate by it.
GoinPlaces63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #1641
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinPlaces63 View Post

That s what I've been told... We will see it and can navigate by it.
Right on.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
Old 04-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #1642
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

Our last two PC cruises we stopped in Aruba which is further away from the canal than Cartagena. We went at top speed to get to outside the canal where we stayed for the night. I think like Alan that it will be slow this time. The last times we also took on fuel very early morning. It is amazing to see all the ships anchored just waiting for their turn. Some wait days for a slot. It is quite eerie actually seeing them all there.

DCL and other no doubt other cruise lines pay top money to transit at the best time so you will probably find we are moving very slowly when you wake up. It seems to take ages to get from when we anchor for the night to the first lock, a few hours. Plenty of time to get up and find a spot if you want. Drinks and pastries served on deck from the early hours.

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #1643
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Good Morning, happy Cruisers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzOle View Post
I am a Dooney Girl I have 10 of their non-Disney bags and can say nothing but good thing about of the non-Disney bags.The Cruise line bags are not of the same quality. I purchased the Fantasy satchel in October 2012 while on the Fantasy and in late Jan. 2013 the lining around the zippered pocket was ripped and frayed. I did not abuse the bag-I carry it every day from the time I purchased it. I sent the bag to Dooney expecting it to be replaced and was offered a credit of $117.50 to apply towards the full retail price of one replacement item valued at $235.00 or greater. Also $7.50 for shipping and taxes were to be paid by me. I declined the offer and the bag was repaired and returned to be. I am very unhappy with the repair job and will bringing the bag with me on this cruise to return it back to Disney Cruise Line. I would recommend a non-Disney bag in a split second. The cruise line collection has been nothing but a HUGE disappointment to me. I also purchased the Disney Parks Retro satchel in Nov. and I am hold my breathe as to how it will hold up.
Sounds like you got a dud! I'd be REALLY annoyed with Dooney, if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Okay, so I am debating getting a Dooney & Bourke satchel onboard. I have a wristlet from 2011 and it's held up very well, but I am more than a little wary because of the reports of bags coming apart that I keep seeing pop up every once in a while, especially when the response from D&B is anything less than a free replacement or repair.

So are they REALLY worth the money? I have never had a dependable, use every-single-day purse or bag that was an investment at this level. It would be a considerable chunk of my personal savings (especially after this cruise, LOL) and I know so many people who buy expensive things just for the brand with no regard for quality. DH and I are willing to invest $$$ in stuff that is well made and will last for a long time; I just don't know if D&B qualifies.

What has been your experience?
If you want an expensive bag that will last for EVAH, buy coach. They're real leather. Dooneys are made from some form of plastic/vinyl. They're cute, no doubt about that, but in the end, just another polymer bag made in china.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post
Oh my, what a kerfuffle over ladies getting together to drink champagne!

Who knew that offering to keep a simple list of ladies wanting to dress up and socialize over a drink would cause so many hurt feelings, angry posts and accusations of unreasonableness, arbitrariness and exclusivity?! . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
There is something I am having trouble wrapping my head around. Previous Champagne Girl groups have charged a fee collected in advance and included things like champagne, feather boas, etc. They have also reserved space via DCL prior to the cruise for their group alone.

I think I am missing something here - what is the point of "signing up" folks to meet in a space open to all cruise passengers, and if all are going to the bar (like other cruise passengers) in this public space?

Whether or not the Promenade has activities going on at the same time, it is a public area, not reserved by any one group. So theoretically can't anyone stop in and buy a drink during your meet?

. . .
Grumpy Grandma here. The thing you all need to remember is that the promenade lounge is in heavy use all day everyday after embarkation day, beginning fairly early in the morning with the cruise director's daily show. Among the activities held there are toddler dance parties, trivia, name that tune, crafts, dancing lessons, music and dancing, scavenger hunts begin and end there etc.

On the December PC, we had to move our "yankee swap gift exchange" from the Promenade to Preludes, in front of the walt theatre. Talk about uncomfortable!

I think your VOLUNTEER hostess on this event was very well intentioned and following a protocol often used in the past. It's unfortunate that her efforts were so misunderstood and criticized.

On a personal level, house selling is not going well at all. House buying is an adventure. But the weather and pleasures of family, outweigh all the headaches.

Happy Day, all!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #1644
Politzania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmh View Post
HA HA HA! Wow. Can you tell I'm tired and it's been a long day, or what? That's one of my better oopsies. So glad you corrected me! But now I have quite the mental image of someone in a turban out on deck providing us all with our star charts and predictions of our future. (Which might be better suited to Pirate Night, actually.)
Star charts & palm readings would be a great addition to Pirate Night - anyone know how to read a tarot deck?

Thanks for the confirmation on the Southern Cross - the bit of web research I'd done indicated it could be seen from Key West during certain parts of the year, so I assumed we'd be able to see it as well. We'll be at about 10 degrees north latitude between Cartegena and the Panama Canal - well south of the 25 degrees that BoosGram's link mentioned.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #1645
houseofduck
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post
I don't know if any of you have read the Kingdom Keepers books by Ridley Pearson. They are aimed at young teens but are a great read for Disney lovers.
Thanks for the suggestion. We just downloaded the first of the series for our children. We probably will get "Dark Passage" for the cruise. I wasn't sure if we had to read the first to understand the rest!
houseofduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #1646
Alexis Green
Mouseketeer

UPDATE ON THE MIXOLOGY CLASS!
Disney emailed me back! Since we have 56 people signed up we will have TWO classes. The 1st group will be on 05/15 at 2:00 pm in Diversions and the 2nd group will be on 05/16 at 2:00 pm in Diversions. The maximum capacity for each group is 40! The price now be $15.00 per adult. As long as we only have 40 people per group and there are open spots you may choose to attend both! Please let me know ASAP who wants to attend which date! I'll be posting this on the Facebook and sending out an email to those who already have signed up.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #1647
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Green View Post
Disney emailed me back! Since we have 56 people signed up we will have TWO classes. The 1st group will be on 05/15 at 2:00 pm in Diversions and the 2nd group will be on 05/16 at 2:00 pm in Diversions. The maximum capacity for each group is 40! The price now be $15.00 per adult. As long as we only have 40 people per group and there are open spots you may choose to attend both! Please let me know ASAP who wants to attend which date! I'll be posting this on the Facebook and sending out an email to those who already have signed up.
Sent you an email. The 15 th for us, please. Thanks
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #1648
Politzania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Please sign Scott and me (Tracey) up for the 5/16 2 pm class - many thanks!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #1649
Robin"D"
DIS Veteran

15th for Angel & Robin please. Cabin 6590 / thank you for doing this

Robin & Angel "D"

Quote:
Polynesian: 1992
Dixie Landings: 1993
Shades of Green (opening weekend): 1994
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004/ retired from U.S.Army
PO/ French Quarter: 2009 (became DVC owners BLT)Bay Lake Towers: 2010
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village: DW 1st MVMCP DEC 2011/1st stay@ SSR/ taking Mom to her 1st MVMCP NOV 2012
DisneyLand: 1st Visit "EVER" / GC/ April 2012/ VWL SEPT '13/Jan '14 GFV: Animal Kingdom 1BR/FEB'14 [before the Dream Cruise]

DCL:
EC/Magic: 2002 WC/Magic: 2009 EC/Magic: 2010
LA ~ Vancouver repo: April 2011Vancouver ~ Alaska (Maiden Alaska Cruise) May 2011 added pts. to SSSR
/
Hawaii Maiden Cruise APR 2012 / 4~day Bahama's "Wonder" Cruise May 2013/
WBPC May 6th 2013 Wonder/ EC & WC 1st & 2nd Cruise on "NEW SHIPS" Fantasy SEPT 7th & 14th
1st time as a Platinum member Cruise/ WC FEB 1st ~ 8th/ 2014 Fantasy FEB 9~13 1st time on the Dream/Completing the "Grand Slam Of DCL Ships!"
EBPC SEP 12-26 '14 bring the Wonder homeEBTA May 15th 2015, “our 25th" Wedding anniversary b2b Cruise/ Magic 1st N. Europe Cruise, May 30th 2015/ Magic
Robin"D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #1650
Brixton
Missing Maine, Substituting Mickey

Quote:
15th & 16th for us, please, I've never been to one! I don't have Facebook, but will send a PM. Thanks for organising this, I realise it's challenging with a group this large

WONDERful Land/Sea; WONDERful Pixar 2012; WONDERful WBPC 2013; WONDERful Bahamas 2014; WONDERful EBPC 2014; DL AP's since...forever

Last edited by Brixton; 04-10-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Brixton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: