Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #1186
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by love280mickey View Post
Ok, the coasters were chipboard 4" coasters puchased online, I think they were $15 for 100 and I think that included shipping. Chipboard is like a hard cardboard. They were white on both sides.

I used the blue "water paper" on each side, applying with Mod Podge. I used my Cricut and shapes from both Mickey And Friends and Mickey Font to cut out the shapes. I know the Mickey letter heads were cut at 3" and the others you just have to experiment with. Once everything was glued down with the Mod Podge, then it was a matter of two more coats of Mod Podge to each side.

Then they seemed sticky, so I read up on them at it said you should spray with a clear coat. So, I sprayed both sides. Waited a few days and put them into plastic gift bags. Guess what? A week later they were still sticking, so I took them all out and layed them around my dining room floor for almost a month. Sadly, they were still sticking on the cruise, so I took them out of the bags and pulled them all apart. At least they could be pulled apart and no damage done, I guess it's from humidity and heat?

They really were simple to make although time consuming with all the steps and drying time. If anyone knows of tricks to keep them from sticking, please post!

I was thrilled on the bus back to the car when one person said her favorite FE gifts were my coasters and the fabric holder I made for them as well.
Thanks so much, and yes, if anyone has any suggestions to prevent sticking, I'd love to know. We don't cruise until December, but I am thinking of trying to do most of our FE gifts while on summer break from school.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #1187
disneytheway
Earning My Ears

decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by silmarg View Post
for those who are looking for the DCL logo lady... I want to wait for her OK before I turn her email address over to 22 rabid disney fanatics!
My husband is bothering to ask you if it is possible to find out where you got the decal. Any help will be appreciated.

(me) :DH DS (9) DS (7)
disneytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #1188
disneytheway
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
All I can say is I hope not all of the people asking are on the same cruise, or people's cars are going to be more DCL logo-ed than the ships themselves! Super fun idea, though.
Hahahahahaha, that's funny!

Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #1189
disneytheway
Earning My Ears

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]My dd is going to put in a pic of all her shipboard friends for the photo mat.[IMG][/IMG]
Hi-2 questions: where did you get the beautiful pillowcase and is that a regular photo mat that you got? Thanks

Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #1190
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneytheway View Post
Hi-2 questions: where did you get the beautiful pillowcase and is that a regular photo mat that you got? Thanks
The photo mat is from Michael's and came with the silver pen.

I made the pillowcase myself.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #1191
chelseadawn22
Earning My Ears

I can't wait to share my FE gifts! But I can't yet - we sail May 4th... I don't want to ruin the surprise if anyone from that cruise is checking out this thread

I'm excited to pass them out!
chelseadawn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #1192
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I can share mine now!

Each cabin got a frame-the 2 shown are just samples-I had several designs. Younger girls got the duct tape bows and headband. Boys got autograph books and pens. Magnets with our cruise dates, some kids got custom zipper pulls and 1 teen boy got a funky wind up metal toy(sounds babyish, but it was REALLY cool!) I also gave each cabin Buttered RUm lifesavers and each child a "Design your own Pirate scene" sticker page with stickers.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #1193
disneytheway
Earning My Ears

Quote:
The photo mat is from Michael's and came with the silver pen.

I made the pillowcase myself.
Great job on the pillowcase it looks beautiful! To bad i am not that crafty
I will look for that photo mat. Thanks

Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #1194
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I can share mine now!

Each cabin got a frame-the 2 shown are just samples-I had several designs. Younger girls got the duct tape bows and headband. Boys got autograph books and pens. Magnets with our cruise dates, some kids got custom zipper pulls and 1 teen boy got a funky wind up metal toy(sounds babyish, but it was REALLY cool!) I also gave each cabin Buttered RUm lifesavers and each child a "Design your own Pirate scene" sticker page with stickers.
oooh, I love the idea of the butter rum lifesavers. Did you have to find each package seperately, or were they in the larger packages for you?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #1195
DisneyBelle99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can share mine now!

I am also " borrowing" your idea for the Butter Rum lifesavers ! I wrote it down in my little notebook I have by the computer as my head is filled with FE ideas!
DisneyBelle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #1196
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I found the buttered rum lifesavers at MICHAELS! The first batch I got they had the box out and there were 10 rolls, so I bought them all. A few weeks later, after they had restocked, I got 4 more rolls to finish off our FE group so each cabin got a roll. Each roll was $1 and has 14 candies.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #1197
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I found the buttered rum lifesavers at MICHAELS! The first batch I got they had the box out and there were 10 rolls, so I bought them all. A few weeks later, after they had restocked, I got 4 more rolls to finish off our FE group so each cabin got a roll. Each roll was $1 and has 14 candies.
thanks for the info, and it would've been great on my recent Caribbean cruise. Next cruise though will be Wonder to Alaska, maybe a "wintergreen" life saver?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #1198
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
thanks for the info, and it would've been great on my recent Caribbean cruise. Next cruise though will be Wonder to Alaska, maybe a "wintergreen" life saver?
Or Dentine ICE or Icebreakers gum
Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #1199
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Or Dentine ICE or Icebreakers gum
oooh, now you're thinkin'!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #1200
LvCruzin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MauiMama View Post
Hi! I been browsing this site all evening and here you are too! You and I seem to be the only ones begging for a FE group on our cruise. Hopefully a group will be put together soon. I want to start working on gifts but not sure how many to make
I know we don't have much time...I'm glad you started the process going and hope we can get enough. I think with what ever we get would be good, just to get into the spirit of giving...you know the "Aloha".

Hey PM me your name b/c we have so many relatives on Maui that we may even be related....lol
LvCruzin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: