Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
herrmannpt
Earning My Ears

Will double stroller be looked down upon for GAC card?

We're going in October with our 3 year old autistic son and will-be 15 month old neurotypical daughter. We will definitely be getting a GAC card for our son and need the "stroller as a wheelchair" option. He gets very overwhelmed with crowds and does best in his enclosed space with his headphones on. The stroller he does best in is our Joovy Ergo Caboose because he can sit in the back facing me and the canopy sort of makes a tent for him to be in. Obviously this is a big stroller. Will it be ok to use? We're not looking for a free pass for our daughter to stay in the stroller, and I don't want it to seem that way. Really, it's going to be a huge hassle to get the stroller on and off of the buses. Umbrella strollers would definitely be easier to transport. I just know the bigger one will help keep meltdowns down and lead to a more enjoyable trip. Anyone have any experience?
herrmannpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

So far as I know, double strollers are allowed to be used as stroller as wheelchair. There may be a maximum width to the stroller but I am not certain what that maybe someone else here hopefully has the answer.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
csarenz
Dad to 3 Disney Princesses

We have used a double stroller in the past as stroller as wheelchair. We did not have any issues as long as the CMs saw the red tag on the stroller. A couple lines were tight turns but it was manageable.
2007 - POFQ
2008 - CBR
2010, 2011 - BCV
csarenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

The WDW website lists strollers larger than 36" x 52" as not allowed to be brought into the park.
If your double stroller is not longer than 48 inches, you will have an easier time.

According to the Joovy website, your stroller is 24 inches wide and 49 inches long, so it would not be much different than a manual wheelchair.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
SapphireMind
Mouseketeer

I had to use a double stroller as a wheelchair the first time I took my kids to WDW - DS had broken his leg 4 days prior to leaving :/ DD was 6 months old at the time.

We were given a hard time a few times, in spite of our tag and GAC, but mostly it was fine.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Jessicalynne
Mouseketeer

I have lots of time to figure this one out, but I should probably check my double strollers dimensions. You guys are so knowledgeable!

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordy...25730070799917
Jordyn's blog: www.triumphingoverall.blogspot.com
Jessicalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
christymarie
Mouseketeer

You could probably use the stroller just fine through the lines, however, if I could offer an alternative. Having two smaller strollers may give you more flexibility especially with your children's ages. If your younger child falls asleep you may want to park them in a quiet cool place to rest but your son may not tolerate that as well at WdW as he does at home. It's also next to impossible to get a double stroller onto trams and/or busses while two smaller strollers are much more manageable.

Just something to consider.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christymarie View Post
You could probably use the stroller just fine through the lines, however, if I could offer an alternative. Having two smaller strollers may give you more flexibility especially with your children's ages. If your younger child falls asleep you may want to park them in a quiet cool place to rest but your son may not tolerate that as well at WdW as he does at home. It's also next to impossible to get a double stroller onto trams and/or busses while two smaller strollers are much more manageable.

Just something to consider.

Maybe 2 singles with one of those connecting clasps would be a good solution? My kids are too far apart to have ever needed a double but that seems like it would be a good compromise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: