Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #181
JLS
Avs Fan / DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa R View Post
Very, very, very well said! I think you summed everything up very nicely!
+1. GREAT post, DesertGal.

The natural instinct to try to find an explanation or someone/thing to blame here is because without that, those of us who are parents have to face the reality that this type of thing could happen to any family and could have happened to us.

I cannot get this family out of my mind, and I don't think I will ever be at a pool again without thinking of this tragedy.
January 2014: Disney Fantasy Western[/FONT]
July 2013: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower RCCL Allure of the Seas cruise
December 2012: Christmas at WDW (stayed with Auntie) [/FONT]
July 2012: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower and Beach Club Villas
December 2011: Christmas at Bonnet Creek Resort and first family cruise on the Carnival Dream!
July 2011: Beach Club Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas (Cameron's first trip)
June 2009: Beach Club Villas
June 2008: Beach Club Villas
January 2007: Hilton Grand Vacation Club International Drive
May 2006: Vero Beach Resort, Beach Club Villas (Adrian's first trip)
May 2004: Beach Club Villas
May 2003: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge Villas
May 2002: Boardwalk Villas
December 2000: Beach Club Resort
July 2000: Wilderness Lodge
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #182
Fielhol
Mouseketeer

The Orlando Sentinal reports that the police and family services are investigating. Maybe after their investigation is done we will know more.

Every night I fill DH in on Chase's posts. Our hearts just break for this family.

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#se.../p2p-75311650/
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #183
Laurali
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS

+1. GREAT post, DesertGal.

The natural instinct to try to find an explanation or someone/thing to blame here is because without that, those of us who are parents have to face the reality that this type of thing could happen to any family and could have happened to us.

I cannot get this family out of my mind, and I don't think I will ever be at a pool again without thinking of this tragedy.
I feel the same way! We just booked a cruise on the dream for February and after following this sad tragedy I signed my almost 2 year old up for swim lessons today. My heart aches for this poor family and I am so amazed of their strength and positive perseverance.

Laurali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #184
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielhol View Post
The Orlando Sentinal reports that the police and family services are investigating. Maybe after their investigation is done we will know more.

Every night I fill DH in on Chase's posts. Our hearts just break for this family.

This "investigation" is routine, done with any event like this. I'm sure they will come to the conclusion that it was accidental. I do wonder if Disney will make some major changes now though.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #185
TrustMeMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielhol

I guess I am old school - but it just seems odd to me when a newspaper's main sources for an article are fb posts and caringbridge entries.

Thoughts and prayers for Chase and his family. May God keep them and strengthen them.
TrustMeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #186
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustMeMom View Post
I guess I am old school - but it just seems odd to me when a newspaper's main sources for an article are fb posts and caringbridge entries.
Scary, huh?
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #187
3mmm
Mouseketeer

Reading through some of this thread and others out there, I challenge all of you to only speak negative of this family if you have NEVER, in any situation or circumstance, lost sight of a child! I have done it and if you are honest, I think everyone of you that is a parent will recollect a time when one of your children was out of your sight for a moment or more. That is all it takes!! I admit it happened to us on this very cruise.

DS 15, DS 13, DD11, DS9, DS6 as of August 2013
3mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #188
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mmm View Post
Reading through some of this thread and others out there, I challenge all of you to only speak negative of this family if you have NEVER, in any situation or circumstance, lost sight of a child! I have done it and if you are honest, I think everyone of you that is a parent will recollect a time when one of your children was out of your sight for a moment or more. That is all it takes!! I admit it happened to us on this very cruise.
You are right, it only takes a moment.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #189
kimgg
DIS Veteran

I agree about not judging. I work in child protective services, and while I have seen truly neglectful parents, and while not uncommon, I seriously doubt these parents just let their 4 year old swim alone. I am guessing they were nearby and either lost track or thought he was being watched by someone else. I have boys, and when trying to watch them, I have often mistaken other children for them in a crowd. I also just was on the fantasy, and the pools were too crowded so my kids never got in other than doing the aquaduck. I had no idea there was any deep areas - they looked so shallow (although since my kids never went in them so I didn't pay them much attention).

Regardless of how it happened, I will continue to pray for them and hope they never read any of the judgemental posts.

May/June 2010 - WDW - POR French Quarter

July/August 2011 - Disneyland/Legoland (Hotel Menage

2012 - possibly a non-disney year due to circumstances beyond my control

March 2013 - Eastern on the Fantasy!
kimgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #190
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa R View Post

Very, very, very well said! I think you summed everything up very nicely!
Thank you but as I re-read my post I noticed all the typographical errors! I had so much emotion that I didn't take time to proofread. I think this cuts to the core because our family adores Disney cruises and have so many fond and unforgettable memories associated with those trips. I just can't imagine going through what they did and are going through, and also what those who assisted, or who happened to be there must feel. Also having a child of that same age makes it even more surreal.

Reading about their whole experience gave me an opportunity to be thankful for my kids, and also reminded me just how quickly tragedy can strike any family.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #191
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post

So true. It does make you realize it can happen to any of us and it really hits home.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #192
antlawn
Mouseketeer

Not sure this is appropriate place, but...

Anyone with small children, ISR lessons is a MUST! It is NOT "swim lessons", it is "Self Rescue". They teach your child, from 6 months of age and up, to "roll back" and float, until help arrives. It WORKS!!! Not saying, this would have helped poor little Chase, none of us have a clue what happened, but, it will teach your child, survival skills in the water, that will stick with them thru out their lives.
Infantswim.com

Prayers for Chase and Family +
antlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #193
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlawn View Post
Anyone with small children, ISR lessons is a MUST! It is NOT "swim lessons", it is "Self Rescue". They teach your child, from 6 months of age and up, to "roll back" and float, until help arrives. It WORKS!!! Not saying, this would have helped poor little Chase, none of us have a clue what happened, but, it will teach your child, survival skills in the water, that will stick with them thru out their lives.
Infantswim.com

I saw a video of babies practicing the self rescue, it is amazing how well and easily they do it. I think all babies should learn how to do the roll back and float.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #194
Suz D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlawn View Post
Infantswim.com

My sister (Desert Gal) had her two kids take these lessons. I completely agree that they are critical especially for a family that has a pool. This was one of my first thoughts but then I considered how crowded people say the pools are on the bigger ships (like sardines apparently) and it would be unlikely a child could flip over in that situation. So I also agree with you that it might not have helped Chase. Important skills to have for a little one but not always possible for the child to follow through due to these conditions. It's important to always remember that no matter how strong a swimmer your child is, keep an eye out as best you can.

This has really taken a toll on my already menopausally impacted emotions (is that even a word?). I have a daredevil 6 year old who we haven't been able to get enrolled in group swimming lessons over the last two summers as well as this upcoming summer. She has no regard for water safety no matter how many times she's been instructed, warned, threatened, pleaded with. I could see something like this happening to her because she is just drawn to a swimming pool. I'm a train wreck thinking of our upcoming WDW trip and am frantically trying to find private lessons for her before we go in late June. I can imagine how Chase's parents must be feeling and I'm sure what I imagine isn't even close to what they are feeling.

He's been in my thoughts and prayers constantly since this happened.
Suz D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #195
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

I agree, ISR is incredible. However, it won't help if 1) a different medical event occurs (seizure, cardiac event, etc.), or 2) someone jumps on the child & knocks them unconscious. Still a great skill for and child to have, but still not 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: