Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Mike Bartenhagen
DIS Veteran

GAC for 1 Day in DL?

We have been to WDW many times and the GAC has been very helpful for our son who is in a wheelchair. We usually stay for a week and the GAC helps us navigate the rides with him. We are going to be in LA for a conference in May and have decided to stay one extra day (Monday May 6) to visit DL. It will be myself, my wife, and our 3 kids. From what I can tell the crowd should be very light that day. Broc's wheelchair can look a bit like a stroller so we always get the GAC at WDW to save the time of explaining multiple times that it is a wheelchair and not a stroller...it is easier to just flash the GAC. From what I have read most lines at DL aren't mainstreamed so the alternate entrance is also the wheelchair entrance. Is it worth the time of standing in line at customer service or would we be ok without the GAC for one day?
Mike Bartenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

You will need a GAC and/or a sticker for the stroller to be used as a wheelchair. You can also pick these up in town hall instead of customer service, and the wait is usually only about 5 min. At the most

me on the way to DL...every time!
rewardsinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Mike Bartenhagen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewardsinlife View Post
You will need a GAC and/or a sticker for the stroller to be used as a wheelchair. You can also pick these up in town hall instead of customer service, and the wait is usually only about 5 min. At the most
Thanks for the reply....it is a wheelchair, a Convaid Safari Tilt but because it is a pediatric wheelchair on occasion people mistake it for a stroller.
Mike Bartenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

In general I think the CMs are good about knowing it is a wheelchair. If they arw confused I usually see people explain what it is. They do not use stickers in Disneyland like they do in Florida, but just the GAC.

if the line is short at City Hall and you want to get a card, go for it. You can also try your luck at the rides and if it becomes an issue , you can always go back to get the card.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
ireland_nicole
No brainer- the fairy wins it
Personally, I'm an on site girl

I'm not a DLR expert by any means but I would say that CMs are not good a recognizing pediatric wheelchairs- if they don't have a typical w/c appearance with two large rear wheels; I don't think it's their fault really- strollers are getting pretty large and high tech looking. In DDs case we have a stealth flash. It has one long footplate and we have to use a stroller sunshade because the w/c one Isnt big enough on its own. Almost no one realizes its a wheelchair at first glance. Except of course that its sized for our DD.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Nevada Jen
Mouseketeer

Defaintely get the GAC. It will not take long and in our experience, wheelchair access at Disneyland is much quicker than the regular lines. Even if it isn't, wheelchair access is almost always a different line than the main entrace. You don't want to be kicked out of the wheelchair line. A day is actually a good amlount of time in DL. We can usually see everything we want and Disneyland and California Adventure in a day with one person in a wheelchair.
Nevada Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: