Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Ah no I really hope you're ok! You've had such a bad run of it recently and this is just the icing on the cake! Don't be worried about the girls, kids are resilient and once they know that there is another trip down the line they'll manage. In the meantime is there anything you can do to treat yourself? I know it wont be WDW but after the past couple of months and this disappointment you really do deserve something nice to look forward to and lift the mood. Big big hugs, I hope that on your August 2014 trip you get lots and lots of extra pixie dust ! And best of luck with the exams, sounds like you'll do great even with all the stress and upset in recent months x

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Holstar
Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through

Thank you so much for all of your kind words. It really does mean so much.

We've decided to go down south next weekend and tell the girls in person. We're going to take them to West Midlands Safari Park over the weekend so hopefully they won't be too down, or we'll at least be able to cheer them up.

I'm still dreading it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz1910 View Post
You must be so gutted. I would spend the next 12 months saving like mad and then add something as a spectacular treat to your trip next August - it might lessen the disappointment if you think next year's trip will be even better.

Is there something you could do as a consolation for the girls? A weekend away perhaps? Something to divert them once you've broken the news?
We're trying really hard to think of something nice to do. We're most likely going to take the girls back to Ben's home (Guernsey) for a week in August and spend some time on the beach surfing and kayaking. And, with the pressure off to finish paying the holiday off so quickly, we'll be able to spend more time with them throughout the year.

Ben has suggested adding three or four nights onto the end of the holiday next year at Disney's Vero Beach... So we'd do two weeks at the Yacht Club doing just Disney things, a week in a villa doing other water parks and shopping and then four or five days sitting by the beach. I priced it up and it's quite reasonable, especially as we're going to be able to spread the cost over such a long period. And, we're definitely going to upgrade seats to PE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellW View Post
Having just finished a degree (and working full time) I take my hat off to you for keeping up with the work and deadlines - you just have to see it as a means to and end (and you'll have a fantastic holiday to look forward to at the end).

Is there no option to go earlier than Aug 2014?
It's been a really tough couple of years! I'm at uni 9-4 most week days, and then I work four evenings a week and both Saturday and Sunday. I can't remember what it's like to not be exhausted! Hahaha!

But, it's worth it, or it will be - my nieces are three of the most important things in my world, and I want them to have WDW whilst they're young. And, I've wanted to go to WDW since I was a little girl. This is my dream.

I was hoping to do it earlier, rather than August. But, we're really restricted by term dates. If we can't do it this summer, next year (academic year) is my final year, well, before I start my MA anyway. Which means that my term dates are longer, I can't take time off during term time and having had a quick look at school dates, I'm pretty sure my half terms will be during the girls term time.

Realistically, August is the only time we could do it next year. My dissertation will be in end of May, exams will be May through to June and then I'll graduate in July... I'm really reluctant to move the holiday earlier and risk another clash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post
So sorry to hear this.

Things have probably changed since my Uni days, but couldn't you defer and take them next semester? I never had to defer anything when at Uni but I had friends who for reasons completely within their control (too much Student Bar!) had to defer their coursework or exams.

Might be worth asking someone if there is any other options.
I was so upset on Friday, I considered this and asked about this option. I've been told that I can't defer exams, we have a no-sit = automatic fail with no right to re-sit rule (unless there are exceptional circumstance, such as hospitalisation). So, if I don't sit in August, I would fail the year. It would be dubious whether I'd be able to claim Exceptional Factors due to existing plans, but it's too much of a risk. If it were rejected, I'd fail the year and I wouldn't necessarily get a chance to re-sit

Me, 25 Ben, 27 : Daisy, 16 Jasmine, 13 Chloe, 10

.~* 22nd August - 9th September 2014, Walt Disney World Old Key West *~.
Holstar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

I know how much planning you put into this..it must be so hard but you will be going sooner than you know
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
Holstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills Mom View Post
Ah no I really hope you're ok! You've had such a bad run of it recently and this is just the icing on the cake! Don't be worried about the girls, kids are resilient and once they know that there is another trip down the line they'll manage. In the meantime is there anything you can do to treat yourself? I know it wont be WDW but after the past couple of months and this disappointment you really do deserve something nice to look forward to and lift the mood. Big big hugs, I hope that on your August 2014 trip you get lots and lots of extra pixie dust ! And best of luck with the exams, sounds like you'll do great even with all the stress and upset in recent months x
I'm okay-ish.... I feel so silly being this upset about this, it is just a holiday. But, it's devastating.

We had a nice night last night. Ben and I went shopping and he bought himself some Disney tshirts and swimming trunks and he bought me some dresses for Florida. A year and a half away or not, I'm still determined to put stuff away so they've been put in the suitcase!

That makes me feel better weirdly, it feels like we're still progressing and working towards something. I bought some shampoo, travel first aid stuff and new tooth brushes today for the cases!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #20
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

Dont know about anybody else but im finding your story of commitment to uni and your family quite inspiring.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
Holstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDaleRule View Post
Dont know about anybody else but im finding your story of commitment to uni and your family quite inspiring.
Oh gosh! Nothing inspiring I swear! I just want to be a good role model for my girls. It's really important that they know that they can do and have amazing things if they work hard.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Hollie just seen your thread. I'm really sorry to hear you have been unwell. Try give yourself things to look forward to in the meantime. You, Ben and your nieces will have such a great time when you go next year that I'm sure it will make the wait worthwhile in the end. (I know I'll be jealous next year when you're going to Yacht Club and I'm not!)
Thank you for all the help you gave me with park schedules etc. Keep positive xx
Claire Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holstar View Post

I'm okay-ish.... I feel so silly being this upset about this, it is just a holiday. But, it's devastating.

We had a nice night last night. Ben and I went shopping and he bought himself some Disney tshirts and swimming trunks and he bought me some dresses for Florida. A year and a half away or not, I'm still determined to put stuff away so they've been put in the suitcase!

That makes me feel better weirdly, it feels like we're still progressing and working towards something. I bought some shampoo, travel first aid stuff and new tooth brushes today for the cases!
Honestly do not feel silly!!
We went through something very similar last yr, ( can't remember wether you would have read about it or not) but we had to cancel and move our trip ( only by a month in the end but we lost a lot of money and had to do things the way around that ruined the trip a little for me) due to DH work deciding they wouldn't let him go, and it was heart breaking when we thought we wasn't going as I also had been very sick!

I remember being so angry and upset at everything and the fact I had done all that planning and now I had to sit through cancelling all the ADRs etc

You should be so very proud of yourself that you are managing to rationalise and put uni 1st ( not sure if have been able to do that) your new plans to add days and upgrade to prem sound fantastic!! And what everybody else says about kids are right they will be sad but they will understand and I'm sure after the shock will be really pleased that they get to go for even longer!

I'm sure having all those days sick was terrible and the only thing keeping you going was the trip but I'm sure it also effected you money wise not being able to work etc, at least now you can save more and take it easier to make sure you in full health.......nothing worse then doing Disney and feeling weak or sick trust me xxx

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: