Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Badger Brent
DIS Veteran

Old Key West opinions, good or bad

We decided to do a studio at Old Key West on our next trip. We plan on doing Garden Grocer for snacks, water, and breakfast items. What did you like about the resort and room? And the cons of this resort? It looks rather spread out, and we are going to embrace this part and not get negative about it. Also, is there more than one hot tub than the one at the main pool? Thanks all for any help!!
Offsite Nov 2002,Offsite Aug 2003 Beach Club Dec. 2003,Wilderness Lodge May 2004, Poly Aug. 2004 Offsite Nov. 2004, Beach Club Dec. 2005, Offsite May 2007, Pop Dec. 2007,POR Dec. 2008,CBR Sept. 2010, All Star Sports Mar.2011, Off-site Mar.2012
Por Favor Mantenga se alejado de las puertas Love to hear that!!
Badger Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
NewmanFamily6
Mouseketeer

We loved that the rooms are the largest in any of the DVC resorts. The laid back feeling and the Jimmy Buffett music My DH liked that it wasn't in your face Disney after being immersed all day. Kids loved the pool. Alot of people complain about it being spread out but it has never been an issue for us.

Next trip: January 2015 @ All Star Sports
NewmanFamily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

with every pool at OKW there is a hot tub. there is also a laundry mat - it is free - you just need to bring detergent and what ever else you use.

it is spread out - so better for early morning walking or jogging - late night strolls.

now since fell in love with BLT - have not stayed at OKW - but from 1993 to 2008 owned at it and definitely stayed most of the time. It is a very nice and friendly resort.

it is more of a community than a hotel. It has 2 queen beds and a balcony - happen to love the balconies there.

the buses come pretty often.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Badger Brent
DIS Veteran

That's great to hear about this seldom mentioned (compared to others) resort. I see some late night strolls and maybe a dip in the nearest hot tub. We will be going 1/1/14-1/9/14 and the pool may be a little chilly. Another question, we will be checking in around 7pm that night. Is there any need to do on-line check in? Due to my daughter's ongoing knee and leg injury, we requested a building on ground floor and close to hosiptality house. Hoping the late check-in will help chances of getting requests.
Offsite Nov 2002,Offsite Aug 2003 Beach Club Dec. 2003,Wilderness Lodge May 2004, Poly Aug. 2004 Offsite Nov. 2004, Beach Club Dec. 2005, Offsite May 2007, Pop Dec. 2007,POR Dec. 2008,CBR Sept. 2010, All Star Sports Mar.2011, Off-site Mar.2012
Por Favor Mantenga se alejado de las puertas Love to hear that!!
Badger Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
herb102211
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at OKW twice, most recently in February. I love that there are 2 queen sized beds in the studios instead of a bed and a sleeper sofa. Also, the rooms are larger than other Disney properties we've stayed in (BCV, BWV). We like the rooms closest to the hospitality house, so when we stay there again we'll be sure to book that category. We stayed in Old Turtle Pond the other time we were there and felt really far away from the main hub.

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club , 12/14- YC/AoA
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Love it! One of my family's favorites.

Other than the All-Stars and POFQ, EVERY Disney resort is spread out. This one is no more or less than most every other resort, so don't let that get to you.

We love South Pointe, bldgs. 53-56. Right near a pool and hot tub, first bus stop in the morning so always get a seat, and depending on your room you could be overlooking the waterway to DTD.

Something rarely mentioned about OKW is that the jacuzzi in the 1BR and above fits two people! Awesome for a romantic getaway

It's easy to get to Hospitality House on the bus, just takes 10-15 minutes. The main pool and community hall are great too. We play games like family bingo and trivia, do crafts, my DD won at kids bingo and a Wii bowling tournament. She also did karaoke at the pool, something I never thought she'd ever do. The CMs there were awesome. Plus the Gurgling Suitcase is the best pool bar at Disney. Small and cozy, great bartenders and delicious drinks.

We've stayed there a few times for 10-14 day stays and absolutely loved every minute.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

We have stayed there 3 times and our last time was a studio. Although is is spread out, the lush landscaping and beautiful grounds are spectacular. We love the Turtle Pond area and the main pool is awesome. Love Gurgling Suitcase(the bar) - small and intimate. We met great people there and the bartenders are fantastic. I love the escape from the parks. When we are at the resort, it puts us in RnR mode!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
Brandee23
Mouseketeer

We love it there!! The Turtle Pond area is great!!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
panixx
Dis Dad Member #642

We stayed in a 1 bedroom last year and it was wonderful. Very quiet, beautiful landscapes. The room was huge! Just an FYI, the doors to the rooms are on the outside and most buildings have stairs for the upper floor and no elevator.
panixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Gleece
Earning My Ears

The rooms and grounds are really nice. However, it is laid out on basically a hub and spoke system. This makes the buses very inefficient. They have to go out to the end of the spoke, then come back to the middle before going back out to the next one. The result is that you spend a lot of time on the bus inside the resort. That got very frustrating to us very quickly. To us, that frustration overrode the things we liked about the resort, since we didn't find those benefits to be all that much greater than at, say, Saratoga Springs. In the future, we will likely not be back to OKW.
Gleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
chitwnnole
Earning My Ears

We stayed at OKW 1 bedroom this past thanksgiving for the first time and absolutely loved it. We were in building 45 right on the river to DTD. It was great sitting on our porch watching the boats go by. Busses were awesome and we rarely ever waited more than 5 mins or so. I also have to say the buses lines back from the parks were also really great

A really quiet laid back resort. We are splitting between AKL and OKW this thanksgiving
chitwnnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

I have never stayed at OKW, but I hear nothing but great things about this resort. We are going in November and a group of friends of ours are also traveling the same time and are DVC members. They just booked their stay at OKW for the first time. They are so excited and really looking forward to it. We will be spending a lot of time with them through out the week so I am really looking forward to visiting their 2 bdrm villa and taking pics around the resort.

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
baileys mommy
Earning My Ears

Do you think the buses are less crowded than some of the other resorts? We are staying there the beginning of June.
baileys mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileys mommy View Post
Do you think the buses are less crowded than some of the other resorts? We are staying there the beginning of June.
all WDW buses are crowded when the park closes - especially in summer.

since the morning crowd goes at different time - it is not too bad - saw the most other guests at 9:30 am instead of the 8:30am at the other places.

now if you leave before or during the fireworks - it won't be so bad. but after the fireworks - expect waits and crowds at all WDW resorts (which include DVC resorts)

one reason why I stay at BLT, BWV or BCV - when I can - you can walk back to your room/villa. walking sure beats the buses.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Brent View Post
Another question, we will be checking in around 7pm that night. Is there any need to do on-line check in? Due to my daughter's ongoing knee and leg injury, we requested a building on ground floor and close to hosiptality house. Hoping the late check-in will help chances of getting requests.
late check in hurts your chances - call whoever you made the reservation with and say you have a medical reason - just made sure that your daughter's injuries and CAN NOT DO STEPS - are on your request.

you probably won't get a HH - those are my reservation only not request.

okw that 2 types of reservation one at HH - the other is non-HH.

really like the non-HH better.

Last edited by spiceycat; 04-10-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: