Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
mom of a lil pirate
Mouseketeer

I have been following as well and praying daily for little Chase.

No one really knows what happened. But lets face it. Chase managed to slip away unnoticed for a brief time, he went into the pool and from what it sounds like the pool was crowded and time passed before someone noticed him. How long he was under the water is unknown. While it does appear he has extensive brain damage, he has a lot of support and a lot of people rooting for him. His parents seem very loving and will do anything and everything they can for him. That is what is important.

I can tell you from expeirence things happen fast. I watched my son fall into our backyard pool several years ago. I ran and scooped him out expecting him to cry, cling to me, etc. He was unresponsive. I can tell you, I got to him fast too. We were very fortunate that I was able to get him breathing again before the paramedics arrived. We were taken to a local hospital and then transfered to the children's hospital after that. My son is 100% okay. He has been doing swimming lessons ever since and is pretty darn good for his age

With this said, I would still let him go in the pools on ship. We avoid the pools on sea days and usually go early in the morning or during dinner times. Often we were the only ones in the mickey pool. On our last trip he went in the donald pool and wore his puddle jumper life vest, even though I knew he could swim.

What we all need to learn and take away from this is that this could happen to anyone. Have regular discussions with your kids about water safety. Explain to them that when a pool is crowded it is not safe to go in and find a better time to take them. Take them to swimming lessons. Bring a life jacket or puddle jumper if they don't know how to swim and put it on the second you get off the pool deck elevator or near another body of water. As adults, we should know the signs of drowning. As we sit and watch our kids swim, we just might see another child next to ours stuggling. Drowning doesn't always look like drowning. In my opinion, it is everyone's responsibilty to keep the kids safe. Sure Disney can add more pool presence and step up on safety, but so can we.

Bottom line is to teach our kids, teach ourselves, and keep praying Chase.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: