Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?
 
collectoraholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Not close enuf to the Magic!
Posts: 1,103

Arrow OK Med cruisers, which inexpensive airline...

for 1-way flight from Barcelona to Rome after our Med cruise? Does anyone know anything good/bad about Vueling Airlines? Any other Southwest type of European airlines we should consider? We've got our flights to/from Europe all booked, now we just need to get our one way to Rome for that portion of our stay after our cruise.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
__________________
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Calfan
DIS Veteran
 
Calfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 723

We flew Vueling after our 2011 Med cruise from Barcelona to Paris, and I would not hesitate to fly it again. After being quoted $2,400 for our family of 4 by our TA on Air France, I freaked out and starting doing online searches. Vueling popped up at $400 TOTAL for the 4 of us. I was a little nervous but felt much better once I realized Vueling is affiliated with Iberia. I was fully expecting to get hit hard on bag fees since the flight was so cheap, but we were not charged a penny for our checked bags or carryons. The flight left and arrived on time.
__________________


MAGIC June 20-27, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) MAGIC June 18-29, 2011 (Med) WONDER August 6-13, 2012 (Alaska) MAGIC September 7-12, 2012 (Canada) FANTASY April 13-20, 2013 (Western Caribbean) ABD Scotland: A Brave Adventure August 4-12, 2013 WONDER May 19-24, 2014 (San Diego to Vancouver) ABD Austria, Germany & Czech Republic July 5-13, 2014 DREAM November 24-28, 2014 (Bahamas) WONDER May 15-17, 2015 (San Diego) B2B with WONDER May 17-20, 2015 (Ensenada) MAGIC June 29-July 10, 2015 (North Norwegian Fjords and Iceland) B2B with MAGIC July 10-22, 2015 (Baltics) with ABD add-on
Calfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post

. . . Does anyone know anything good/bad about Vueling Airlines? Any other Southwest type of European airlines we should consider? . . .
Last October we flew on Vueling to Barcelona. Service was good and the flight was on time.

I don't know what mean with the Southwest reference.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?
 
collectoraholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Not close enuf to the Magic!
Posts: 1,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan View Post
We flew Vueling after our 2011 Med cruise from Barcelona to Paris, and I would not hesitate to fly it again. After being quoted $2,400 for our family of 4 by our TA on Air France, I freaked out and starting doing online searches. Vueling popped up at $400 TOTAL for the 4 of us. I was a little nervous but felt much better once I realized Vueling is affiliated with Iberia. I was fully expecting to get hit hard on bag fees since the flight was so cheap, but we were not charged a penny for our checked bags or carryons. The flight left and arrived on time.
Thanks so much for the 411. I appreciate first hand experience/knowledge. What I've come across so far as options is Vueling or RyanAir. We've flown RyanAir in the past from London to Dublin, but it was just myself & DH. Didn't know if there were any other options besides these two.
__________________
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?
 
collectoraholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Not close enuf to the Magic!
Posts: 1,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Last October we flew on Vueling to Barcelona. Service was good and the flight was on time.

I don't know what mean with the Southwest reference.

Woody
Thanks for the info, Woody. Good to see 2 positive references for Vueling.

SW reference means not being able to pre-pick your seat, etc. vs. how you can book with other airlines, such as United, American, etc.
__________________
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Calfan
DIS Veteran
 
Calfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
Thanks for the info, Woody. Good to see 2 positive references for Vueling.

SW reference means not being able to pre-pick your seat, etc. vs. how you can book with other airlines, such as United, American, etc.
We had no issue with seats on Vueling. The 4 of us sat together.
__________________


MAGIC June 20-27, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) MAGIC June 18-29, 2011 (Med) WONDER August 6-13, 2012 (Alaska) MAGIC September 7-12, 2012 (Canada) FANTASY April 13-20, 2013 (Western Caribbean) ABD Scotland: A Brave Adventure August 4-12, 2013 WONDER May 19-24, 2014 (San Diego to Vancouver) ABD Austria, Germany & Czech Republic July 5-13, 2014 DREAM November 24-28, 2014 (Bahamas) WONDER May 15-17, 2015 (San Diego) B2B with WONDER May 17-20, 2015 (Ensenada) MAGIC June 29-July 10, 2015 (North Norwegian Fjords and Iceland) B2B with MAGIC July 10-22, 2015 (Baltics) with ABD add-on
Calfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post

SW reference means not being able to pre-pick your seat, etc. vs. how you can book with other airlines, such as United, American, etc.
We were able to select our seats when we booked.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,954

I am flying Vueling from Barcelona to Paris. I paid a few extra euros to preselect my seat and check a bag, but it was still much cheaper then Air France
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran
 
WDW Princess 71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan View Post
We flew Vueling after our 2011 Med cruise from Barcelona to Paris, and I would not hesitate to fly it again. After being quoted $2,400 for our family of 4 by our TA on Air France, I freaked out and starting doing online searches. Vueling popped up at $400 TOTAL for the 4 of us. I was a little nervous but felt much better once I realized Vueling is affiliated with Iberia. I was fully expecting to get hit hard on bag fees since the flight was so cheap, but we were not charged a penny for our checked bags or carryons. The flight left and arrived on time.
I'm not sure if things have changed, but Vueling does now charge for checked bags. However, if you book under the Iberia flight (they are codeshares), Iberia allows you 1 free checked bag per person. The flight is operated by Vueling but if you book via Iberia you get the free bag, if you book under Vueling you have to pay. This is the information I found when booking my Vueling operated flight under Iberia for our one way from Barcelona to Paris this summer.
__________________
Nicole


September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?
 
collectoraholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Not close enuf to the Magic!
Posts: 1,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan View Post
We had no issue with seats on Vueling. The 4 of us sat together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
We were able to select our seats when we booked.

Woody
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I am flying Vueling from Barcelona to Paris. I paid a few extra euros to preselect my seat and check a bag, but it was still much cheaper then Air France
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
I'm not sure if things have changed, but Vueling does now charge for checked bags. However, if you book under the Iberia flight (they are codeshares), Iberia allows you 1 free checked bag per person. The flight is operated by Vueling but if you book via Iberia you get the free bag, if you book under Vueling you have to pay. This is the information I found when booking my Vueling operated flight under Iberia for our one way from Barcelona to Paris this summer.
Great info everyone! I'm sure we'll book Vueling after hearing your reviews.

Thanks so much!
__________________
collectoraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.