Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #1426
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

The idea of a "dummy date" is that you book a cruise you have no intention of being on. You book any cheap cruise and pay a low deposit to lock in your benefits of a reduced deposit, 10% off and an onboard credit. Later, when you find a cruise you actually want to take, you or your travel agent, modify the reservation and book on the cruise you intend to take.

If you _know_ you want to be on a certain cruise, that's not a "dummy date", it's a true future cruise reservation. Book the stateroom category and number of people you intend to cruise with. Otherwise you run the risk of not being able to add people later.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #1427
MickeyWatcher
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info folks.
POP-Oct 05; POP-May 08; WH-Oct 08; Portofino-Mar 09; WH-Aug 09; POP-Dec 10; WH-Jul 12; DCL-May 13

Disneyland
AP for 10 yrs. Way too many times to count!

DCL
Magic-May 13

Me DW DS DS DD
MickeyWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #1428
qits
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
The idea of a "dummy date" is that you book a cruise you have no intention of being on. You book any cheap cruise and pay a low deposit to lock in your benefits of a reduced deposit, 10% off and an onboard credit. Later, when you find a cruise you actually want to take, you or your travel agent, modify the reservation and book on the cruise you intend to take.

If you _know_ you want to be on a certain cruise, that's not a "dummy date", it's a true future cruise reservation. Book the stateroom category and number of people you intend to cruise with. Otherwise you run the risk of not being able to add people later.
Can you cancel a "dummy date" booking?
qits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #1429
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qits View Post
Absolutely.
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #1430
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qits View Post
You betcha. The standard cancelation policy applies. Remember that once you cancel, you can't call them up and say you want the onboard booking benefits back again. You can always modify it, unless you decide you won't be cruising Disney again in the reasonably near future.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #1431
LimoFam5
DIS Veteran

Location: Los Alamitos (Rossmoor), but most of the time we are at Disneyland.

You can definitely cancel the booking but u will lose the on board booking benefits. There is no rule as to how far out u can keep pushing the reservation. Instead if cancel I would just book the latest cruises date possible and go from there. U can either move it up once u decide or move it to a later date if u need more time. Either way u maintain the benefits of booking on board
LimoFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #1432
ShellB8585
Mouseketeer

Bump to read later. Thanks all
Southern Caribbean ~ Disney Wonder ~ January 2016

1998 - 2012 ~ 9 visits to WDW
January 2010 ~ Honeymoon Disneyland
2011 - 2012 ~ 2 visits to DLP

7 Night Eastern Caribbean ~ Disney Magic ~ 14 Jan 2012
4 Night Mediterranean ~ Disney Magic ~ 9 July 2013

Shelley DH Carl

ShellB8585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #1433
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimoFam5 View Post
You can definitely cancel the booking but u will lose the on board booking benefits. There is no rule as to how far out u can keep pushing the reservation. Instead if cancel I would just book the latest cruises date possible and go from there. U can either move it up once u decide or move it to a later date if u need more time. Either way u maintain the benefits of booking on board
We booked a cruise when we were onboard in 2011 and scheduled a 3 day cruise in Nov 2012 knowing that we wouldn't go on that cruise!!

I then rescheduled for a 5 day cruise in Oct 2013, however we had to cancel that cruise and are now rescheduled for two back3back cruises in Oct 2013. We still got our discount (for only one of the cruises) and as far as I know the stateroom credit is still valid!!

Not sure when we'll cruise again after that as we plan to go to WDW again after that, but I'll DEFINITELY book again while onboard../ just in case!!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #1434
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Ive spent the last week reading this entire thread - wow! I feel much better prepared now... Thanks to all who have contributed over the years!
Jiminy'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #1435
mncooldad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey3Boys View Post
Learned SO many awesome things on this thread! Please note Disney confiscated my power strip that I packed in my bag. And we could never get the suction hooks to stay on the wall, but the clothesline with clothespins worked well!
They confiscated mine also. But I packed two and they did not find the second one. Not sure why they are doing this. Must be using to much electricity on the ship.
mncooldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #1436
FrustratedDonald
Earning My Ears

Did the power strips have surge protectors?
FrustratedDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #1437
michellekcm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncooldad View Post

They confiscated mine also. But I packed two and they did not find the second one. Not sure why they are doing this. Must be using to much electricity on the ship.
Hmmm. I always bring a power strip with me when I travel to the US so I only need one adapter from Australian plugs to American ones. Might need to look in to this if they're going to confiscate it.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #1438
disney minnie
DIS Veteran

Be sure to choose the dining time that fits your family. I read through every post before our first cruise and almost ALL of them said to have early dining so that became my main focus. Our children were 10 and almost 4.

Well after the first dinner we realized it was a mistake for our family. For us it cut our day short. We seemed to start getting ready for dinner around 4:30. We would have ratcheted still been at the pool, or in port some days. We actually missed some dinners because we just didnt want to end our day.

Our second cruise we had second seating and it was perfect for our family. We were able to stay at the pool longer, take naps without feeling rushed when we woke up, etc. Our children go to be between 7:30-8 when we are at home, but have never had a problem staying up late while on vacation or for a special event. We LOVED the fact that the kids club came and picked them up from dinner and they were happy to be excused.

Late is what worked for our family, but once again, read all the reviews and choose what fits YOUR family.
disney minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #1439
MINNIEANN MOUSE
Mouseketeer

New to Cruising

Thank you for so much information. I'm in the research process of booking a cruise for Feb. 2014 and there is SO much I don't know. This is really a great help!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #1440
Fsugirl24
Earning My Ears

this is great info - thank you!
Fsugirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: