Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
WDWOswald
Mouseketeer

Anniversary dinner in epcot area... thinking steak...

Trying to decide for our anniversary dinner between Le Cellier and Yachtsmen. Never been to either! Last year we had our anniversary dinner at Bistro de Paris and discovered that well, we just aren't into french food. We aren't that adventurous in our eating and spending $150 on food we didn't LOVE in a restaurant that is too crowded and service that is too rushed is a mistake I don't want to repeat

Can anyone comment on the atmosphere at yachtsmen vs le cellier? Is yachtsmen beautiful and romantic?

Le Cellier- Inside EPCOT, slightly cheaper, makes a lot of list for being a "romantic" restaurant. Pretzel bread. I have a 7:10 reservation which is perfect for walking out and watching illuminations.

Yachtsmen: Food gets better reviews. Have a 5:50 reservation which is a bit early for my taste- but I feel like we would miss illuminations if I took the 7:40 reservation instead.
WDWOswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWOswald View Post
Can anyone comment on the atmosphere at yachtsmen vs le cellier? Is yachtsmen beautiful and romantic?

Le Cellier- Inside EPCOT, slightly cheaper, makes a lot of list for being a "romantic" restaurant. Pretzel bread. I have a 7:10 reservation which is perfect for walking out and watching illuminations.

Yachtsmen: Food gets better reviews. Have a 5:50 reservation which is a bit early for my taste- but I feel like we would miss illuminations if I took the 7:40 reservation instead.
Of the two you've selected, I liked Le Cellier better. I really wouldn't describe either as "romantic" because you'll find children at both.

Le Cellier - you already mentioned the pretzel bread, which is really good. I like the filet mignon. Very tender and flavorful. The restaurant itself is dark (which can be "romantic"), but the tables are very close together (not so good for "romantic" because you can easily hear the conversations of the tables around you).

Yachtsman - the food is good, but it's a steakhouse. I didn't care for the side dishes with the rib eye (bone marrow wasn't my thing). The theme can't decide if it's going for nautical or cowboy. Tables are spaced apart (so better for "romance", but it's very bright inside (so not romantic).

Le Cellier is on my list of "every trip" places, whereas Yachtsman is on my "glad I tried it, but don't need to go back" list.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
Of the two you've selected, I liked Le Cellier better. I really wouldn't describe either as "romantic" because you'll find children at both.

Le Cellier - you already mentioned the pretzel bread, which is really good. I like the filet mignon. Very tender and flavorful. The restaurant itself is dark (which can be "romantic"), but the tables are very close together (not so good for "romantic" because you can easily hear the conversations of the tables around you).

Yachtsman - the food is good, but it's a steakhouse. I didn't care for the side dishes with the rib eye (bone marrow wasn't my thing). The theme can't decide if it's going for nautical or cowboy. Tables are spaced apart (so better for "romance", but it's very bright inside (so not romantic).

Le Cellier is on my list of "every trip" places, whereas Yachtsman is on my "glad I tried it, but don't need to go back" list.
WTH, BONE MARROW? I've had the ribeye there before years back and never heard bone marrow mentioned. Yuck! Talk about unappetizing!
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14)
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post

WTH, BONE MARROW? I've had the ribeye there before years back and never heard bone marrow mentioned. Yuck! Talk about unappetizing!
Mmmmmmm bone marrowwwwww

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Both are good but of the two, we prefer the Yachtsman. I do agree with the pp that I wouldn't describe either restaurant to be "romantic" but I will say that we found the Yachstman to be a much quieter restaurant over LeCellier (more adult atmosphere). And because it's never been as crowded as LeCellier, you can achieve a more romantic setting by asking for a more secluded table once you check in. We also found the steaks and steak options at Yachtsman to be much better than LeCellier and it's now a "must do" on every trip. If there is one drawback to Yachtsman, I would say it's in the desserts (I think they could have a better selection). We have an ADR for our upcoming trip in August and when DH & I return to the world in October (we will be celebrating his 50th and our 28th wedding anniversary), we're deciding between Yachtsman again or Narcooses - another favorite of ours.

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

I think leCelier can have the rushed feeling, it is in Epcot and in my opinion they try to get people in And out faster. Yatzman (sorry for the bad spelling...lol), as stated earlier the tables are spread further apart and I think the service is better. We love it and I think if you are not an adventurous eater it may be a better fit! Try to get a later ADR sometimes they pop up!!! Good luck and happy anniversary!
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Trish.Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
This is what I ordered:
16-oz Boneless Rib-Eye -Sweet Onion Jam, Bone Marrow, Brioche, and Red Wine Butter

The steak was cooked well (as in good), but the sides were kind of bleh. In hindsight I should have asked to substitute the sides, but I wanted to give everything at least one chance. If I were to go back (which is unlikely), I would try something else. The filet had better sides (also tried that), but it wasn't as good as the mushroom risotto at Le Cellier.

For Yachtsman, my guess is that later ADRs would have a better chance of being "romantic". I had an early ADR (5:45 pm) and there were lots of families. The restaurant wasn't noisy per se, but it wasn't quiet either. My family normally eats later (8 pm-ish) and we generally see more adult groups or couples at that time of night. So if you do opt for Yachtsman and your schedule allows, I would look for later ADR.

As the PP mentioned, there is also Narcoossee's (over at the GF). That is my favorite Signature. It has a very good filet mignon and lobster combination. I highly recommend it. The restaurant is more "romantic" to me (later in the evening, not early) than either Yachtsman or Le Cellier. It's on the water's edge, which probably helps.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

We had our Anniversary dinner at Yachtsman last month and had a wonderful meal. The service and food was excellent. I would pick Yachtsman over Le Cellier any day. Let them know about your anniversary when you make your reservation. Shula's at the Dolphin would be another great anniversary spot.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Yachtsman is definitely a more leisurely meal, courses are spread out and the server doesn't tend to hover over you. We have not experienced LC in years, stopped going when they did away with their Prime Canada beef. I have an ADR for June since I saw the Prime Strip on the menu again. I agree though, the tables are definitely very close together.
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14)
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWOswald View Post
Trying to decide for our anniversary dinner between Le Cellier and Yachtsmen.
Any reason why you are not considering Shula's? It is superior to both LC and Yachtsman, more quiet, more adult and more romantic, to the degree that a steakhouse can be romantic. Ask for a table in a corner away from the bar and it should be very serene. And if there are any large groups of conventioneers there, (or tables set for a party of 12 that haven't arrived yet), just make sure that you are seated in a different area.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
CamColt
Only thinks she’s not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Any reason why you are not considering Shula's? It is superior to both LC and Yachtsman, more quiet, more adult and more romantic, to the degree that a steakhouse can be romantic. Ask for a table in a corner away from the bar and it should be very serene. And if there are any large groups of conventioneers there, (or tables set for a party of 12 that haven't arrived yet), just make sure that you are seated in a different area.
I agree! Shulas has amazing steaks.

CamColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
I agree!!! Shula's is fabulous. We ate there for Valentine's Day in 2011. I love Le Cellier, too, but Shula's is much better as far as atmosphere and food quality.

Never will I eat at Yachtsman again. Worst steaks we've ever had. Terrible service. Blah atmosphere.

DisneyStarWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
WDWFANCBIIIME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyStarWisher View Post
Never will I eat at Yachtsman again. Worst steaks we've ever had. Terrible service. Blah atmosphere.
I agree Yachtsman is AWFUL!!! I like Le Cellier quite a bit and I just made a reservation for Shula's on my next trip and I cannot wait
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
Bothepro24
Mouseketeer

Steak

I agree that Shula's is the place. Pricey but you get tremendous food and service, and yes you'll need a doggy bag. Eat at Le Cellier or the Yachtsman you'll need to order another entree. High price withstanding there is nothing worse than paying top dollar and walking away hungry.
Bothepro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

LC tables are way too close for me. I prefer a little more distance from my neighbors.

Really like Yachtsman but I would do FF over either. They have one of the best steaks on property, IMHO (get the sauce on the side though)

Hope you have a lovely evening!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: