Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #1771
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

I get to check in online tomorrow!!!

so, I have a question! Do they have the door tags you can hang at night for breakfast in the morning? We like to have coffee delivered to the room in the morning, but I have never done this at Disney..do they offer this? like before you go to bed you hang the tag and whatever you order is delivered in the AM?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #1772
MomofDisneyLoversx3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
I get to check in online tomorrow!!!

so, I have a question! Do they have the door tags you can hang at night for breakfast in the morning? We like to have coffee delivered to the room in the morning, but I have never done this at Disney..do they offer this? like before you go to bed you hang the tag and whatever you order is delivered in the AM?
Sooooo exciting!!!
Yes they do have the door tags. And I recommend it for coffee as the in room coffee is nasty! I drink hospital industrial stuff daily and it tastes like Starbucks comparatively.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #1773
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

yeah..the room stuff is pretty bad. I like not having to stumble around either!

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #1774
MomofDisneyLoversx3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
yeah..the room stuff is pretty bad. I like not having to stumble around either!

Thanks!!!!
I paid my oldest dd to go up to the Kilimanjaro Club on more than one occasion to get me am coffee .

Well after Brandi's link re: the AK anniversary I spent (way to much) time trying to find a way to make it work. The best I could do was $189/ night at the dolphin (AKL was over $400!!) and flights were $360 per person. no extra trip for me. I decided to take that $ and put it into the Disney acct I have at ING. That will make a dent in the DL Paris trip my dd asked for.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #1775
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Hello all

I've been following this thread for a while now, and really enjoy reading all the comments.
I think because they are always so positive, I am now doubting what I've booked for Oct with my family of 2 boys (4 and 6) and DH.
We are coming for 10 days, and I've booked 4 nights at AKL (Jambo) and 5 nights at the Poly.
Now, I'm wondering if I should have stuck with my original plan-10 days at AKL?
I decided on a split stay because I was thinking it would be nice to be away from everything, and then at the Poly we would be surrounded by it all (best of both worlds) but now I'm wondering if I should have stuck with AKL for the 10 days cause I'm worried that once we get there, we won't want to go only after 4 nights.
Also, the Poly is an extra $850, and wonder if its really worth the $$ when AKL seems so great!
I am hoping all you AKL experts can guide me in the right direction..I'm so torn!!!???
Thank-you
Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #1776
MomofDisneyLoversx3
Mouseketeer

Welcome!!

I'm starting by admitting my prejudice. I only like split stays for 12 days or longer. I'm one of those 'place for everything, unpack completely when we get there' types.

Let me ask you a few questions. How many days of park tickets do you have? Will you have hoppers? Are you renting a car? Are all of your meal choices concentrated in one area? Is there a special 'extra' (safari, tour, etc) you could do with the $850? Will this be your only trip to the world? Or could you take that $850 and out it toward another trip?

I personally would use the $850 to rent a car, put the difference away for my next trip and spend the whole time at AkL. After 3 trips at AKL there are still tons of things we haven't done.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #1777
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

flinkerfrosch, I love your screen name!!!

As to your question: I guess with two smaller children you will be more likely to spend quite a bit of time at the MK and for that the Poly is very convenient. But then you are at WDW for 10 days, so you can do everything in a relaxed pace, so distances might not matter that much

I never did a split stay because I hate the idea of having to pack up and not really move to a new location, only to a hotel "down the road".

So for me it would be an easy decision to stay the whole trip at AKL. I have stayed at AKL and the Poly and loved them both and the only thing I consider to be more upscale at the Poly is the room size. In every other aspect, I consider AKL the better hotel. The Mara is the better counter service, the lobby is more impressive, the pool is bigger (but it does not have a view of the castle...), there are two hot tubs, AKL has a signature restaurant, the transportation is direct to every theme park and only has a brief stop at Kidani on the way back, while at the Poly the busses to AK and DHS are shared with the GF and sometimes the CR, and for the monorail to Epcot, if you don't want to walk you have to make a connection at the TTC. I have no interest in renting any boats, so the lack of the marina does not matter to me.

In the end, I do think it is a personal choice. Good luck in finding out where you want to stay!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2010 TR 2010 PTR 2011 TR Dining Reviews:2009 2008 2007
From the Sea to the World - Spring 2013 Trip Report - DCL and WDW
Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #1778
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
Welcome!!

I'm starting by admitting my prejudice. I only like split stays for 12 days or longer. I'm one of those 'place for everything, unpack completely when we get there' types.

Let me ask you a few questions. How many days of park tickets do you have? Will you have hoppers? Are you renting a car? Are all of your meal choices concentrated in one area? Is there a special 'extra' (safari, tour, etc) you could do with the $850? Will this be your only trip to the world? Or could you take that $850 and out it toward another trip?

I personally would use the $850 to rent a car, put the difference away for my next trip and spend the whole time at AkL. After 3 trips at AKL there are still tons of things we haven't done.
Thank-you for the kind "welcome"

To answer your questions..
*Park days, we have 5 (plan on doing MK twice, and then one evening for EMH, so really is 2.5 days) and then AK 1 day, DHS, 1 day.
*NO park hoppers, but getting the water park and more option
*We are not renting a car, but would consider it if we stayed the whole 10 days at AKL (do you think a rental is a must for 10 days?)
*We have many ADR's. Most are at the different parks, but we did plan on doing Ohana for breakfast and dinner, and of course Boma!
*We are doing the Pirates and Pals fireworks Cruise, but wasn't considering the Safari tour cause I didn't think my youngest could do it..
*This is my boys 1st trip to WDW and my DH. I haven't been since 2005. We do plan on going back, but wouldn't be for probably another 2-3 yrs (I think) It all depends how this trip goes as for when we would return. My DH likes to go to different places, and being from Canada, it is expensive to come to WDW on a regular basis.
*im not good at taking the extra "$850" and putting it towards another trip..lol..I work part-time, so if I didn't need to make the $850 I just wouldn't work those few shifts.

AKL does look amazing, but so does the Poly, and this is why I'm torn. We got a pool view room, but I'm also considering possibly upgrading to a Savanna View if I didn't do the Poly. Or, I would keep the pool view, and hope for some pixie dust for an upgrade to an animal view room (I know this doesn't always happen)

I hope I answered all your questions, and look forward to your response.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #1779
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch View Post
Thank-you for the kind "welcome"

To answer your questions..
*Park days, we have 5 (plan on doing MK twice, and then one evening for EMH, so really is 2.5 days) and then AK 1 day, DHS, 1 day.
*NO park hoppers, but getting the water park and more option
*We are not renting a car, but would consider it if we stayed the whole 10 days at AKL (do you think a rental is a must for 10 days?)
*We have many ADR's. Most are at the different parks, but we did plan on doing Ohana for breakfast and dinner, and of course Boma!
*We are doing the Pirates and Pals fireworks Cruise, but wasn't considering the Safari tour cause I didn't think my youngest could do it..
*This is my boys 1st trip to WDW and my DH. I haven't been since 2005. We do plan on going back, but wouldn't be for probably another 2-3 yrs (I think) It all depends how this trip goes as for when we would return. My DH likes to go to different places, and being from Canada, it is expensive to come to WDW on a regular basis.
*im not good at taking the extra "$850" and putting it towards another trip..lol..I work part-time, so if I didn't need to make the $850 I just wouldn't work those few shifts.

AKL does look amazing, but so does the Poly, and this is why I'm torn. We got a pool view room, but I'm also considering possibly upgrading to a Savanna View if I didn't do the Poly. Or, I would keep the pool view, and hope for some pixie dust for an upgrade to an animal view room (I know this doesn't always happen)

I hope I answered all your questions, and look forward to your response.
personally, I would keep the split stay, but we don't mind moving to another hotel (especially since they move your bags for you while you play!). I really want to try the Poly though, and stay on the monorail line! If the days you would be there are your MK days that would seal the deal for me personally, and I love the AKL! Best of both worlds!
2013 Inaugural Dumbo Double Dare!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #1780
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
flinkerfrosch, I love your screen name!!!

As to your question: I guess with two smaller children you will be more likely to spend quite a bit of time at the MK and for that the Poly is very convenient. But then you are at WDW for 10 days, so you can do everything in a relaxed pace, so distances might not matter that much

I never did a split stay because I hate the idea of having to pack up and not really move to a new location, only to a hotel "down the road".

So for me it would be an easy decision to stay the whole trip at AKL. I have stayed at AKL and the Poly and loved them both and the only thing I consider to be more upscale at the Poly is the room size. In every other aspect, I consider AKL the better hotel. The Mara is the better counter service, the lobby is more impressive, the pool is bigger (but it does not have a view of the castle...), there are two hot tubs, AKL has a signature restaurant, the transportation is direct to every theme park and only has a brief stop at Kidani on the way back, while at the Poly the busses to AK and DHS are shared with the GF and sometimes the CR, and for the monorail to Epcot, if you don't want to walk you have to make a connection at the TTC. I have no interest in renting any boats, so the lack of the marina does not matter to me.

In the end, I do think it is a personal choice. Good luck in finding out where you want to stay!!
Hahaha, thanks!!!

We do plan on spending 3 different days at MK. 1 of them was when we were at AKL, the other 2 while at the Poly.
One thing we did really want to do was rent a sea racer, but do you know if you have to be a guest at the hotel to be able to rent one?
We don't plan on doing Epcot this trip. It will be for the next trip in a few years.
Seeing the castle, being on the beach, watching the fireworks/water parade are all wonderful things to be able to do while at the Poly, and I'm just so torn whether going to the Poly to "visit" and see all these things would be good enough? MY DH says yes, its good enough. He thinks we should stay put at AKL, but I can never keep my head from wandering and wondering what it would be like to stay at 2 different resorts. They are both so different, and beautiful!!
Packing up doesn't really bother us. I never actually "unpack" cause I'm SO paranoid of the bed bug thing, I drive myself crazy!
Thank you so much for your input and advice. It really helps when I hear from people that have been to AKL or both and can give me reasons to stay or split stay that I haven't even thought of!
Cheers
Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #1781
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
personally, I would keep the split stay, but we don't mind moving to another hotel (especially since they move your bags for you while you play!). I really want to try the Poly though, and stay on the monorail line! If the days you would be there are your MK days that would seal the deal for me personally, and I love the AKL! Best of both worlds!
I agree with this -- especially for a young family!

flinkerfrosch -- Your family will have a wonderful time, no matter which option you choose. I love AKL and it is my favorite resort, but you can't beat the monorail resorts for convenience to MK! (I have stayed at them all, but of the 3 MK resorts, I would choose Poly in a heartbeat! )

Let us know what you decide!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #1782
Turk February
DIS Veteran

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when doing online check-in and making room requests (I have a savannah view), wouldn't requesting a room near the lobby double as a Sunset view request as well since all rooms near the lobby are Sunset view? To me this request seems like 2 for the price of 1, yea?
February 2011 - CSR
Christmas 2011 - Contemporary (MK View)
April 2013 - AKL Kidani Village (Savanna View)
Childhood - March '83, March '84, November '84, January '87, August '87, October '87
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #1783
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk February View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when doing online check-in and making room requests (I have a savannah view), wouldn't requesting a room near the lobby double as a Sunset view request as well since all rooms near the lobby are Sunset view? To me this request seems like 2 for the price of 1, yea?
No because Arusha is near lobby too! Sunset Savannah will put you on one side of Kudu Trail or Ostrich Trail; Arusha is on both Kudu and Zebra Trails. In fact, there are more Arusha Savannah rooms than Sunset Savannah rooms at Jambo House.

Here's a map (although it's an older version, the room configuration is still the same!): http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/aklmap.htm

Last edited by RachelTori; 04-09-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #1784
Turk February
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
No because Arusha is near lobby too! Sunset Savannah will put you on one side of Kudu Trail or Ostrich Trail; Arusha is on both Kudu and Zebra Trails. In fact, there are more Arusha Savannah rooms than Sunset Savannah rooms at Jambo House.

Here's a map (although it's an older version, the room configuration is still the same!): http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/aklmap.htm
I really should have been more specific and mentioned that I'm staying at Kidani Village, sorry! That said, would my assumption be correct?
February 2011 - CSR
Christmas 2011 - Contemporary (MK View)
April 2013 - AKL Kidani Village (Savanna View)
Childhood - March '83, March '84, November '84, January '87, August '87, October '87
Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #1785
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
Sooooo exciting!!!
Yes they do have the door tags. And I recommend it for coffee as the in room coffee is nasty! I drink hospital industrial stuff daily and it tastes like Starbucks comparatively.
What, what what?!

This is my third stay at AKL, and I had no earthly idea you could do this for coffee.

I'm afraid that the resort QS coffee won't be replaced by Joffrey's in time for our trip (Shame, I have a reusable mug ordered... ) . So, I'd love to do this.

Are the forms in the room? Or do you have to ask for them?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: