Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #91
Mythreeboysandme
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsambam View Post
Lets all say an extra prayer tonight and also give our kids a couple extra hugs!!!!!
I agree!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #92
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Candle for Chase occurring now:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3093362
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #93
lae
Earning My Ears

Where we live any pool, beach etc has a rule that children ages 8 and under must be no further than arms length away from an adult. Pretty much means you are in the water. My kids rarely visited the beach until supper hour and once everyone else cleared out. It was much easier to supervise that way. Both sons are now certified lifeguards. I never asked if they wanted to be one. We made it a priority, and didn't leave it open to debate. If we had left it up to them they would have quit like all their friends. We have the saying it's not good enough to know how to swim- you need to know how to swim AND be able to rescue all those who quit halfway through. I know my sons are not very popular with those they try to protect while on the job. . The abuse they put up with for doing their job and trying to enforce safety rules is ridiculous.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #94
Spodesmom
Earning My Ears

Update on Chase

This was recently posted on his FB page:

"Coming home!!!

We met with the doctors to translate the MRI picture to us about an hour ago. Unfortunately, it was not the news we had been hoping for. I will do my best to translate this in understandable terms. His Basel Ganglia area was damaged. This is the area that controls motor programming, movement, tremors, dystonia- basically the area that controls his arms, legs, fingers and most motor skills. The Internal Cbapsnee was also damaged. this is the are of his bran that controls his temp, heart rate, respiratory rate, thirst, hunger, sweating...ect. This explains what we are seeing medically- with all of the fluctuations. His Reticular Activating System was damaged- the area that effects his sleep/ wake cycle, and is optical lobs....or eye sight. Lets face it, we all knew our Warrior had some damaged up there. But he is a fighter, and he has all of us behind him. Again, The Lord spared his life, and for that I am thankful, very thankful. We are excited to come home and hold our other Children- too of the three most precious gifts The Lord has given us. And yes, we are coming home today! Chaser will continue his fight at the St. Paul Children's. We fly out in a couple hours. We thank you all for you thoughts and prayers. ...........God is Good!"
Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #95
VHFamily
Earning My Ears

I don't know how they are keeping strong, but I continue to pray for these parents and Chase. I wonder what the MRI results mean medically for him long term. Praying for a safe flight for everyone
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #96
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHFamily View Post
I don't know how they are keeping strong, but I continue to pray for these parents and Chase. I wonder what the MRI results mean medically for him long term. Praying for a safe flight for everyone
It doesn't sound good, but with all the prayers going up for this little guy, maybe a miracle is in the works!

Glad they get to go home now - as if having this happen isn't horrific enough, and then you have to go through it in a place far from home without family nearby. I hope they have a safe trip home...

Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #97
LimoFam5
DIS Veteran

Location: Los Alamitos (Rossmoor), but most of the time we are at Disneyland.

Wishing them the best.... Prayers go out to the family.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #98
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I added a prayer for his siblings. This is going to change their lives also in more ways then we can imagine.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #99
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHFamily View Post
I showed the post to my coworker, an experienced medical professional and her view was grim based on what they posted
Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #100
SapphireMind
Mouseketeer

I am a neonatal nurse practitioner and we deal with asphyxia frequently unfortunately.

What they posted is very grim, sadly Chase may need a tracheostomy if he cannot keep his own airway protected from secretions and his autonomic dysfunction will make him prone to stroke, which will only damage things more. The only "bright side" (which is a very dismal side indeed) is that likely the personality and sentience that was the little boy has likely gone. Hopefully he will not have enough consciousness to be uncomfortable from contractures and other issues.

This is the hardest to see in patients.....their personality/soul/essence/etc has left the building, but their brain stem is intact. Parents are left caring for a shell that will keep on for a long time

I so wish his family didn't have to go through this.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #101
Aggiefan92
Earning My Ears

Breaks my heart to hear this. What a strong family to be staying positive about going home. Will continue to pray hard.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #102
4DisneyNUTS
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireMind View Post
I am a neonatal nurse practitioner and we deal with asphyxia frequently unfortunately.

What they posted is very grim, sadly Chase may need a tracheostomy if he cannot keep his own airway protected from secretions and his autonomic dysfunction will make him prone to stroke, which will only damage things more. The only "bright side" (which is a very dismal side indeed) is that likely the personality and sentience that was the little boy has likely gone. Hopefully he will not have enough consciousness to be uncomfortable from contractures and other issues.

This is the hardest to see in patients.....their personality/soul/essence/etc has left the building, but their brain stem is intact. Parents are left caring for a shell that will keep on for a long time

I so wish his family didn't have to go through this.

As a mother of a child with special needs from a stroke and being around a TON of kids like him I have to tell you their soul NEVER leaves. They may have a new way of speaking and navigating their brain but they always have their essence and their soul. I hope that other parents who are going through a new brain injury know this. It is really not true that they lose their soul just how they express themselves is different than before, sometimes drastically, but they are always the same kid.

I have to add.... to describe a child as a shell really??? Come on???

Our trips together since 1996 Dixie Landings.... Carribean Beach....Coronado Springs....Son's first trip.....Pop Century TWICE!...Purchased DVC....Disney Cruise Wonder...Saratoga Springs...Hilton Head...Saratoga Springs February 2005!...Sept 2005 Disney Wonder with Boardwalk Villas
UNIVERSAL May 2006 Stayed @ SSR baby!
1st trip to Disneyland Sept 2006 Grand Californian ...Universal August 2007 stayed at OKW .......Stayed at AKV Jambo House May 2009 baby Jason's first trip!

Last edited by 4DisneyNUTS; 04-09-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #103
4DisneyNUTS
Mouseketeer

Sorry I need to address the "grim" posts. Yes he has had a severe injury but it is WAY WAY WAY too early to conclude that his prognosis is grim. We were told our son would never walk, talk, recognize us as his parents, know his name etc... He does WAY more than they ever said (goes rock climbing, swim, talks, knows who we are and much much much more etc...). Doctors MUST give worst case scenario but millions of kids prove them wrong everyday. So please for the sake of Chase's family, who I am sure are scouring the internet right now looking for hope, can we leave out all the "grim' comments? Like I said MILLIONS of kids suffer brain injuries that are catastrophic only to have MIRACULOUS recoveries. A child's brain is plastic and can adapt, adjust and believe it or not REPAIR when injured. So please I beg you guys to stop with the negative posts. I am 12 years out but to a new parent reading these you are making a horrible terrible tragedy worse with these words.

Our trips together since 1996 Dixie Landings.... Carribean Beach....Coronado Springs....Son's first trip.....Pop Century TWICE!...Purchased DVC....Disney Cruise Wonder...Saratoga Springs...Hilton Head...Saratoga Springs February 2005!...Sept 2005 Disney Wonder with Boardwalk Villas
UNIVERSAL May 2006 Stayed @ SSR baby!
1st trip to Disneyland Sept 2006 Grand Californian ...Universal August 2007 stayed at OKW .......Stayed at AKV Jambo House May 2009 baby Jason's first trip!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #104
kimgg
DIS Veteran

I agree with not assuming the worst. While there is damage to important areas of the brain, none of us know how severe. God is in control nadir sounds like the family knows this. I know we're it me, if given a choice of losing my child altogether or being given any chance whatsoever of a life w my son, however changed, I would chose to have him w me without hesitation.

I will continue to pray for the whole family.

May/June 2010 - WDW - POR French Quarter

July/August 2011 - Disneyland/Legoland (Hotel Menage

2012 - possibly a non-disney year due to circumstances beyond my control

March 2013 - Eastern on the Fantasy!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #105
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Let's not start picking on one another.

Praying for a safe trip home and strength for the family and Chase.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: