Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

My Disney Christmas monorail display

Thought I would share with all of you one of the things I enjoy doing as a hobby and that is collecting a lot of the Disney World/Disneyland monorail merchandise. Every year I display it all under our tree. Here are some shots from my 2012 display:

Between Christmas's, most of the stuff ends up around the house on display and then united together under the tree during the holidays.

Plus here's a video of the display in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raQg7qwOAQk

and new for 2012, the village on New Year's Eve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w4RU9hf1GE

Enjoy and let me know what you think.
Been a MAJOR fan of the Magic since June of 1989 (off-site), followed by: 6/95 (A-S Music), 1/99 (PO-FQ), 9/01 (A-S Movies), 9/02 (A-S Movies), 9/03 (Contemporary), 9/07 (A-S Movies), 9/10 (POP), 9/11 (A-S Music) and August 2013 at PO Riverside!
HPCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
olwyngdh
DIS Veteran

That is AWESOME!! I grew up always having a villiage under my Christmas tree, and do it now when we are living in quarters where I have room, but you have inspired me to go to a new level--and given me an excuse to buy the cool stuff my husband keeps telling me I don't need!!!

olwyngdh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

Thanks! Actually my display has outgrown this space. What I plan to do for this coming Christmas is make the display under our tree strictly Disneyland/Disney World (with a touch of Hershey added as well). What has happened is that my Disney monorail collection has exploded in growth over the last several years and trying to add it all with some of my village items has started to make the display appear cluttered. All the village items (except the carnival rides) will be moved to another display in another room and (as I have stated above) this will be strictly Disney, along with a few Hershey items and my carnival rides. Doing it this way will make it look nicer, IMO.

I'm glad my display has inspired you to do the same thing! Good luck, should you ever decide to create your own Disney monorail village!
Been a MAJOR fan of the Magic since June of 1989 (off-site), followed by: 6/95 (A-S Music), 1/99 (PO-FQ), 9/01 (A-S Movies), 9/02 (A-S Movies), 9/03 (Contemporary), 9/07 (A-S Movies), 9/10 (POP), 9/11 (A-S Music) and August 2013 at PO Riverside!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
iluvdisney
DIS Veteran/DVC Member
Mr & Mrs Mallard have come home!

Really makes me miss my Christmas displays that I have not set up since my grands came along - next year I am going to drag out all of my villages and see what works - I always loved sitting and watching the tree with Disney underneath - thanks for posting your pictures and inspiring me to get mine out in 2013!

Grammie loves her grands!
iluvdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
lovepink42
Earning My Ears

this is amazing! i think it looks so much cooler than the normal trains we used to put under our tree.
lovepink42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdisney View Post
Really makes me miss my Christmas displays that I have not set up since my grands came along - next year I am going to drag out all of my villages and see what works - I always loved sitting and watching the tree with Disney underneath - thanks for posting your pictures and inspiring me to get mine out in 2013!
Awesome! I really hope you get the motivation to do it. Would love to see what you have in your collection. It's always neat to see what other people do with their Disney monorail accessories and get ideas and inspiration on how to improve each other's displays from year to year.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
GAGirlInVA
DIS Veteran

Oh I just LOVE this!

Is the monorail only available at Disney?

I'd love to do this in the office.. so that the kids won't be tempted to mess it up!

Dec 2010: ASMu April 2011: POP! Oct 2011: ASMo April 2014: Caribbean Beach resort!

Next trip? Maybe DisneyLAND for Dec '14 or March '15
GAGirlInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
GrandAdmiralStrife
DisDad #744

May I just say, YOU ARE MY HERO!

Look closely everyone, it's not just the monorail, but it's also the WDW Railroad as well! If only I had the money to get this together....
COMING SOON: WDW AUG 2014 Trip Report
GrandAdmiralStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
katiee37
DIS Veteran

Wow, this is AMAZING! Sure beats the non-Disney display I had growing up
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

The monorails, Contemporary and Polynesian are all sold at WDW as well as the Disney Store online. I'm really hoping they bring back the Grand Floridian as well, I would love to add it to complete my monorail line.

What I have in my collection so far:

-Monorail blue
-Monorail black
-Monorail yellow (no longer works, using it for display only)
-Contemporary (sold at WDW)
-Polynesian (sold at WDW)
-WDW sign set (no longer available)
-WDW Main Street Station (no longer available)
-Walt Disney's Carolwood Pacific H-O train set (available online wherever you can find Disney or H-O scale train items)
-WDW parking lot tram (sold at WDW)

Plus now I'm already brainstorming on what I want to do for this year. I'm going to be shopping and browsing around on our upcoming trip to WDW to see what kind of treasures I may find to help add to the display. I wish I had a Dumbo ride because that would work perfectly with my Lemax carnival rides to do a "Storybook Circus" area. I'm mainly going Disney this year and putting a majority of my village buildings in another display. We'll see how it goes. Very happy I've inspired many of you to get back into doing this, hope you all will give it a shot and post photos of your displays!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Axlcat
We're simply meant to be

HPCrazy, let me just echo what everyone else is saying about your monorail display - it's amazing!!!

I bought a monorail set at WDW several years ago. I have no idea if it's the same one, but it looks very similar to yours, in size anyway. I assembled it once on the floor, packed it up, and never used it again because there was no good place to leave it on display. I never once considered setting it up under the Christmas tree. Thanks for giving me a solution. Seasonal, of course, but a good one.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

That's awesome. I wish I had the room for something like that. One day when we have a house.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
super mike b
DIS Veteran

That is really cool!
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
HPCrazy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axlcat View Post
HPCrazy, let me just echo what everyone else is saying about your monorail display - it's amazing!!!

I bought a monorail set at WDW several years ago. I have no idea if it's the same one, but it looks very similar to yours, in size anyway. I assembled it once on the floor, packed it up, and never used it again because there was no good place to leave it on display. I never once considered setting it up under the Christmas tree. Thanks for giving me a solution. Seasonal, of course, but a good one.
First all, thanks lol.

Yeah you purchased the Disney monorail playset like mine but more than likely with a different colored stripe. They always switch out the colors every now and then. I display the two trains in my display with my yellow-stripped train (no longer works) on top of our entertainment center between the holiday seasons and just get them down and prepped up to run another Christmas again. I also spread some of the other items through the house to enjoy them year-round as well.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
Axlcat
We're simply meant to be

I could not remember the stripe color, so had to check, and it's red. Luckily, I bought a box of extra track pieces too, which I might need since my tree is big. I can't wait to try it out. My cats may make me regret it, but I'll worry about that when it happens.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: