Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
MarthaTracks
Earning My Ears

Resort Choice with Small Children

We are planning our first multiple day family trip to Disney with children ages 6, 5, and 2 1/2 in July 2013. I would like to stay at the Contemporary Tower for the convenience of the monorail. I'm thinking that at the end of each day, leaving the park and getting into our room is going to be a challenge alone and to add on wait time for buses or travel to an offsite is going to just add another level of challenge.

So my question is, is it worth it to spend the higher price for the monorail access or should I consider someplace different? Am I making more of it in my head than it really is or needs to be?
MarthaTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
1mama2three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaTracks View Post
We are planning our first multiple day family trip to Disney with children ages 6, 5, and 2 1/2 in July 2013. I would like to stay at the Contemporary Tower for the convenience of the monorail. I'm thinking that at the end of each day, leaving the park and getting into our room is going to be a challenge alone and to add on wait time for buses or travel to an offsite is going to just add another level of challenge.

So my question is, is it worth it to spend the higher price for the monorail access or should I consider someplace different? Am I making more of it in my head than it really is or needs to be?
We visited the Contemporary in January 2013 with our children 7, 5, 2, & 15 months, and we felt like it was MORE than worth it for the convenience of the monorail. In the mornings, we would walk to the MK, and then take the monorail back in the afternoon. Even transferring to the EPCOT monorail was easier than dealing with a stroller on the buses. On the mornings we visited DHS as we left the park, we'd take the opportunity to relax on the boat over to EPCOT, let the kids play in the jumping fountains while grabbing something to eat, and then take the monorail back. That route back is by no means quick, but it was (in our opinion) more enjoyable for our family.

We would never be able to pay rack rate pricing, but we were able to get an AP discount, and still the Garden Wing was as far as we could stretch our vacation budget. It was worth every penny in our opinion, because with 4 kids convenience is much needed on vacations. If it fits into your vacation budget and you feel that the added convenience will make your vacation more enjoyable, then I say do it! I imagine the heat in July will make the convenience even more of a factor. Not to mention our kids really enjoyed the pool and waterslide and the pools are pretty important when it gets too warm to enjoy the parks.
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, VGF/Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at the GF and Poly and even though we don't have little ones, we love being on the monorail for convenience and think it's definitely worth it. With that said, I think any of the monorail resorts would be great with little ones, but the CR has an edge over the other two in that you can walk to/from the MK without having to wait on a bus or monorail. I think the CR is a good choice and I would stick with it .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

We love The All Star or Pop Centery. They are great for kids!!!

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
dp911
Mouseketeer

Yc BC is amazing. My 2 year old loves the pool behind the big jib slide that has a kiddie slide. I love the location it is a beautiful resort rarely stay elsewhere
dp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
dp911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42
We love The All Star or Pop Centery. They are great for kids!!!
Hate values. Not great pools, no ts, location horrible, small rooms, no valet
dp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Our last trip with our then 2 year old we stayed at POFQ so we used the buses to go everywhere. I wasn't thrilled with the bus service. It was okay for the most part but definitely had moments it was really crappy.

This trip we now have a 4 year old and twin toddlers and we decided to splurge and go deluxe. We couldn't justify the cost of the monorails resorts though. We are using an AP discount and staying club level at the Beach Club for less than the standard room at the Poly. With the added bonus of being able to walk to two parks or boat to HS and have the entertainment and dining options of the Boardwalk and the incredible pool it was a no brainer for us.

We will probably even use the monorail to head back to Epcot and then the resort at naptime so I won't have to fold up the stroller.

Either location you are going to be stuck with buses or driving to some places so I guess you just have to figure where you will spend more time and decide if the price is worth it.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: