Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

About two years ago, someone I know was responsible for managing the day-to-day in-home health care for a senior relative in deteriorating health. Rather than put them in a nursing home, an in-home agency was used; just a short time after the service commenced visitations, the relative's home was infested with bedbugs. They were discovered on the mattress of the in-home health worker (who was, at times, staying overnight). They were later found in the sofa and carpeting.

They are a menace to get rid of. The agency ended up paying for infestation control from a local exterminator, and then to have the sofa, mattress, et al steam cleaned. After two or three trips, there was finally concurrence that the things had been exterminated from the home. I know some say this "threat" has been overblown, but after hearing this story, I know I want *nothing* to do with them. If that puts me in the more-paranoid-than-not camp, well, so be it.

Although I don't travel much, over the last few years, after hearing that story, I've started inspecting any hotel room I stay in first thing. I check mattress corners, pulling up any coverings and sheets (at the corners/seams), and look under and around any upholstered furniture (particularly sofas, and sofas with foldaway beds) for possible telltale debris. You can't possibly inspect every nook, crannie, and crevice of a room, but a good basic inspection that takes only a few minutes at some conspicuous points should give you a fairly strong level of confidence that your room is OK.

What I've found in my little "mini inspection" at a few hotels is that most larger chains (and this is a generality, I realize, so the implied caveat is offered) are starting to replace their mattresses more frequently, and some mattresses even have inspection date tags that would only be seen (typically) by maintenance staff (and the occasional nosy guest like me). I think they take the problem seriously and are trying, as best they can, to be proactive about it. I think the inevitable weak-link in the chain is the individual maintenance staffer who may or may not have been properly trained to look for the filthy things when they are turning over a room, or under time pressure to get the room turned over does not do a sufficient job of checking, esp when in reality the probability of finding them in any one room is probably not very high. Just speculation on my part.

Last edited by OklahomaTourist; 04-09-2013 at 11:18 AM.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: