Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Melissa R
Jamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Room
The events involving this child on the Fantasy are certainly tragic and likely permanent; however, criticizing the parents or Disney appears misguided. Try Googling "near drowning" and you will see that this is not a parental problem or a Disney problem - it is actually a very common occurrence and, unfortunately, it is devastating and simply an accident that occurs everywhere - all across the country, in ponds, pools, lakes and ditches.

Prevention and education of (young) children appears to be the only way to prevent it - teaching them to respect water and stay away without adult supervision. Since it can occur so quickly and involve as little as one aspiration of liquid (one breath), life guards cannot even prevent its occurrence with any certainty.
I see the point you're trying to make, but I think that prevention and education is not always enough. Just as a good swimmer can get caught in a rip current at a beach and end up in trouble, I think the point people are raising here is that the pools get very crowded, there are a lot of distractions, and that it seems like there may be a need for some type of change to prevent another accident. The very best swimmer in the world who is being watched by a parent is still going to get injured if someone jumps into an overcrowded pool and lands on your neck.

My son was in the pool that moment when Chase was pulled out. I was sitting on the edge with my feet in the water. I was within reach of my son (10 yrs old) but there was one time that he was trying to get back to the edge of the pool and it was so crowded that he couldn't get to the edge. He is a swimmer so he could handle it, but I could see where a less able swimmer could have gotten into trouble because getting to the edge of the pool was a challenge.
Melissa R is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: