Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Half term vacation 2013, Feb 16 - Feb 24

Day 5, February 20

“See you in Austria” - part 1

We slept in a little because we had had a late night the day before and did not need to be anywhere until 10.30.
So around 8.30 we finally got up, showered and got dressed. Our fish extender was full again, so we took our gifts inside and opened them together.
I started putting away things and in no time it was 10am and we needed to get ready for brunch at Palo. We changed into our Palo clothes and at 10.20 we made our way up to the restaurant. Since it is only two decks up we arrived there in ample time.
Signing in we were greeted with “Oh, you dined with us before and we have made sure you got the same server!” Yeah, well, lady we have dined here before, just not on this trip and having good connections helps as well. We were asked to take a seat in Meridian and so we did. It did not take long until we were asked to follow a greeter inside the restaurant, which seemed pretty empty.
Only the tables by the window were filled with guests and it made for a quiet low key atmosphere. Our table was in one of the booths and the greeter suggested I’d slide through, so I was to have a better view of the ocean and we would not have to communicate across the table. I did, but what a mistake, it made “crawling” in and out to get to the buffet such a pain. We were left to enjoy the view and pretty soon a familiar face walked over to our table, Matija.
It was so nice to see Ana’s husband again and to chat a little before we started our tour of the buffet. Not that we have not been a few times and know what to expect, but it is nice to hear all the recommendations again. At the end Matija asked what we would like to drink and Tom got some coffee,

while I stuck with water

as I didn’t feel like their tea. We were also asked if we wanted a glass of sparkling wine or a Mimosa and we both went with the Mimosa.
Matija had pointed out some nice sweet continental breakfast treats, so we decided to taste a few of them first. Tom picked

some Muesli with fresh berries and a bit of freshly whipped cream on top,

a strudel,

a brioche type, cream filled pastry and hot sticky bun, while I went for

some fresh berries and cream, a slice of pineapple,

a hot sticky bun and

a fruity Danish pastry. Everything was very good and once we had finished our first plate we went to pick up some savoury stuff.
There were so many wonderful things to choose from and we really filled our plates.

Tom had some crab legs, a Bloody Mary shrimp shooter, Prosciutto and melon, grilled vegetables and Mozzarella and tomatoes, some nice round breads topped with spices and olives, seared tuna, scallops, green asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and topped with Hollandaise, some Boursin cheese and some smoked salmon. On my plate

there was

some of the wonderful walnut and blue cheese bread, some fresh Mozzarella and tomato, grilled vegetables,

marinated mushrooms, gorgonzola and Boursin cheese, smoked salmon, some shrimp and cocktail sauce, marinated artichokes, seared tuna and

green asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, topped with Hollandaise. Matija stopped by whenever he had time to chat about the restaurant they are planning to open in their home town of Dubrovnic and about his top secret plans of taking Ana to Austria either late this year or the next.
Our plates were pretty full and it took us some time to empty them again. When we finally ordered one of Palo’s famous pizzas we knew there was no way we could fit any of their other wonderful warm courses in. Thankfully it took a few minutes until our “half and half” pizza arrived at the table. We had ordered

half a goats cheese and sun dried tomato pizza and

half a gorgonzola and red grape pizza with red wine reduction swirls. Both halves were really tasty, but we were getting full already and only were able to sample one slice of each pizza. Since we still had two slices of pizza sitting on the plate we were not immediately asked if we wanted something else, but after a few minutes Matija asked if we intended on finishing off the pizza or were thinking about dessert.
Yes, there was still dessert to conquer.
We told him that we had finished the pizza and were now heading to pick up some desserts. Tom chose

some berries, which, if I am not mistaken, were soaked in some kind of alcohol, a bite size tasting of “Sacher” Torte, a chocolate covered strawberry, Matija’s favourite chewy brownie and some chocolate mousse. Desserts are my favourite and I could not pass up

the Tiramisu, chewy brownie, “Sacher” Torte and a chocolate covered strawberry. All the desserts were absolutely heavenly, but it was soon time to ask for the bill. Matija brought it round and he brought something else, a plate. He put down a napkin, so it would stand up and when he put the plate on the table he said, that he promised to fulfil what was written on the plate. “See you in Austria”.

We were blown away, what a wonderful and cute idea and we could not even tell Ana about it, as he still kept his travel plans a secret from her. And after applying a hefty tip we said goodbye to Matija and Palo for that trip. We wobbled back to our stateroom and changed into some more comfortable clothes and rested for a while out on the balcony.

To be continued ...........
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Last edited by dizneeat; 04-20-2013 at 01:52 PM.
dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: