Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #46
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAndAnt View Post
I am a bit worried too. We're a gay couple in our 40s and I am worried we'll get seated with someone who is going to ask if we're brothers and then react badly when we tell them we're a couple. On one hand, I really want the fun of meeting new people, and on the other hand, I don't want to hear a saintly, adorable older woman non-chalantly tell me I should marry a woman and change my ways lest I burn in hell.
If you were to sit at a table with my family I guarantee you none of us would have batted an eye. In fact, as a surrogate mother for same sex couples I might have tried to get a little networking in. I bet you'll get awesome table mates. If for some reason you don't please ask to be switched. I know there's no way anyone at Disney would want you to be uncomfortable during your cruise.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #47
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

On our recent girls only cruise, we were celebrating my DD's HS graduation along with her best friend also graduating and traveling as our guest. We were placed with a family whose DD was also graduating from HS and their DS who was also in the same Vibe age group. It worked out very well. There was much commonality between the adults too.
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02, 1/15 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~~ Dolphin 12/13 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
1/15 (Eastern)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #48
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

I've always read on here about people making great new friends on the cruises at dinner and thought nope not us...we are to anti social. Small talk and thats it for us, well that was until cruise 7 last month. We became instant friends with our tablemates! Truly a small world we live in: I have a teenage cousin who is slowly dieing from a very rare disease ( I am a nurse and never come across a Dr who has even heard of it) and on our Costa Maya night we were in port extra late so we decided to have a few, well a lot, of drinks in port and party it up with our new friends. As we are walking back to the ship quite intoxicated she mentions Tue 2 sons she lost and wouldn't you know she says the disease name. We were both absolutely floored that the other knew of this disease. Come home to Facebook and discover through networking with the disease she is already friends with my uncle/godfather! I can now say Disney has some sort of magical powers when it comes to tablemates! I now say to whoever has doubts about dining with strangers---go into it with an open mind! You may be surprised or you can change if it is bad!

RN_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #49
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Nessa* View Post
We travelled in a group of 15 too and we all sat together

ETA: can I ask does anyone know what the size your group has to be before they would give you your own table without asking??
It's hard to say. Our first 3 cruises we were just 2 (DH & I), first cruise seated with 3 other couples, second cruise - 2 couples and a mother & adult daughter, 3rd cruise - we linked with a couple from our first cruise and were seated with a single woman and a single man (however, the man only ate at the buffet, we never saw him until the last morning, and the woman switched to late seating).

4th cruise (DH, me, DS24, DD25 & her BF) we were seated alone at a 6 top.

5th cruise (DH, me & DS19) we were seated at an 8 top with a mom (a bit younger than us), DD15, DS16, DD20 and her DS2.

6th cruise (DH, me, DHs mom & her husband, DHs sister and her husband) we had a 6 top to ourselves.

So, while it seems that a party of 5 would automatically be seated by themselves, it doesn't always happen as you can see by our 5th cruise. My best guess would be a party of 6 would almost always be seated by themselves.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #50
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm View Post
Normally I am a VERY keep to myself kinda person.. when I cruise I go out of my way to meet new people. The first night is the most fun.
I LOVE sharing a table with people I have never met. It makes me put on my friendly and practice being social. My wife like it because I am likely to behave
I am exactly the same way. I love playing DCL table roulette.

I've discovered that I tend to have better luck at the (dining) tables if I leave any special requests out of the mix. I've been told on a couple of (granted, not full capacity) cruises that if space is available, requesting a particular server defaults to getting one's own table.

On my most recent cruise, I was B2B on the Wonder sailing solo. On the first cruise, I was seated at a table with a couple perhaps a little older than my parents and an adult woman probably around my age and her parents. It was a good table mix for conversation. By sheer coincidence, though, my server had been my assistant server for the April Hawaii cruise. She had been an excellent assistant server and I was so glad to see she'd been promoted to server. I had asked the head server if I could stay in her section for the next cruise. Unfortunately, he told me that the only way he could do that would be to place me either at a table with multiple families of small children or give me a table to myself.

Otherwise, I was already assigned to a table in another section with 20-30somethings. I opted to stick with my predestined table and it turned out to be a good conversation mix as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: