Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
charity
Mouseketeer

why should I do on line check in?

What is on line check in and what will it help me with? Do I have to use it?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Online check in allows you to 'check-in' to your resort prior to arrival. It does allow you to enter a room request or celebration which should already have been entered when you made your reservation anyway, so....

What does it help you with??? Not much really.

Nope, you do not have to do it.

Have a great trip!

Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
justplaingoofy
DIS Veteran

It will probably save you some time upon arrival. If you do the online check in you go to a different line where they have your packet already printed up for you with your keys/passes/etc....
justplaingoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
waughzoo
Earning My Ears

If you do online check does it diminish your chance for a room upgrade?
waughzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Jen7079
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waughzoo View Post
I don't think so, we did online check in last time and got a boat load of pixie dust. We were upgraded from a water view to a deluxe cl room.
Jen7079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen7079

I don't think so, we did online check in last time and got a boat load of pixie dust. We were upgraded from a water view to a deluxe cl room.
I am glad to hear that (and congrats on the pixie dust)!!
iheartjuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waughzoo
Not at all.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
nkereina
Wendy Darling

You should do online check in if:
-you have no room requests
-you are arriving on a Saturday or Sunday between 10am-2p
-you are arriving during a busy time of year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, etc)

Online check-in can cut down on your wait time and more often than not, they will try to have your room ready for when you arrive. Because of this, they often disregard requests in favor of getting you into a room that's ready. If you ask to change your room at online check-in, your packet has to be re-done and room assignments need to be switched around. Took us about 25 minutes when we did this so I will not do online check-in again.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
-you are arriving during a busy time of year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, etc)

Online check-in can cut down on your wait time and more often than not, they will try to have your room ready for when you arrive. Because of this, they often disregard requests in favor of getting you into a room that's ready. If you ask to change your room at online check-in, your packet has to be re-done and room assignments need to be switched around. Took us about 25 minutes when we did this so I will not do online check-in again.
Well, on the flip side of this, I *didn't* do online checkin for our trip in 2011, and checkin for us at SSR was a *disaster*. The day we checked in, Disney was integrating the new Hawaiian offerings and the computer/reservations systems (apparently worldwide) were totally hosed up. The lines at check-in to SSR were five-plus deep in four different lines and people were sitting and waiting throughout the lobby. We had made special plans to drive into Orlando early and "steal" and extra half-day at DTD and catch an evening in one of the parks...but...

When we checked in, we had been given a "preliminary" room number that we were told to call back and confirm in about 30 mins (the clerk gave us a ph# to call to verify). We did; the person we spoke with had no clue what we were talking about. Then they told us they didn't have the room type we booked (2-BR villa, so they were moving us down to a 1BR studio. I explained to them that wasn't acceptable). Then they said our reservation was botched up in the computers, and had to rebuild it from scratch as I stood there.

About two hours later, they did finally assign a room..so we get our keycards, drive over, luggage in tow...we open the door, and the room was OCCUPIED!! Suitcases, food, and souvenir bags, the works.

I wasn't happy.

So we drive back to the carriage house, explain the situation...wait a half-hour, and they assigned us a different room...we drove over to it, and this time, the KEYS didn't work...so we drove back to the Carriage House, and after another half-hour, they cut us new keys, and we're finally in. It took us FOUR-PLUS hours to get into our room, and it wasted our first afternoon at Disney. We were so tired, frustrated, and hungry that all we ended up doing was drive ourselves over to Earl of Sandwich to grab something to eat, and called it a night. All that pivoted around the computers being screwed up (among other things).

Sooo, with that sad story in hand, this time, even if its nothing more than checking an electronic box in a database somewhere, I'm going to try online check-in this time around

Last edited by OklahomaTourist; 04-08-2013 at 07:34 PM.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Just the other day, I was reading a post from a CM saying to do the online check-in because those are the first to be assigned regarding requests!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
JeannineP4
Earning My Ears

I just checked in online for our arrival on Thursday. Hopefully pixie dust is thrown our way. I know that the resort is full and there are basically no rooms available. Maybe we will be the lucky ones picked to be upgraded. Anyone know how to better your odds to be upgraded?
JeannineP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Online check-in can cut down on your wait time and more often than not, they will try to have your room ready for when you arrive. Because of this, they often disregard requests in favor of getting you into a room that's ready.
This used to be the case. With the new system, you can check a box that states something to the affect of "I would rather wait for my room to be ready in order to help my requests be met".
Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADnNOLA

Just the other day, I was reading a post from a CM saying to do the online check-in because those are the first to be assigned regarding requests!
If this is true.... its good to know!! Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
This used to be the case. With the new system, you can check a box that states something to the affect of "I would rather wait for my room to be ready in order to help my requests be met".
The message actually offers the logical opposite - that is, you're asked to check a box to "have your room ready in preference to all other requests."

I did online check in this morning, so that was as of about four hours ago. I'm staying at SSR, and was hoping to get the option to request assignment in The Springs, but the only thing close to that was "Near Carriage Hall." And I checked the box to have the room ready early, as we're driving in well before normal check-in time and I'm trying desperately to avoid the fiasco I described above. I sure want The Springs because it is the closest to Carriage Hall, but if I have to make a choice, I'd rather the room be ready when we get there. I'm crossing my fingers that if there is some priority or preference given based on when the request was made, getting the request in 60 days ahead gives me about the best chance of the most things being honored. We'll see.

It only makes sense that some priority assignment is being done, because the only way you could just "show your ID and get your keycards/magic bands" was if the thing was already assigned for the projected time of arrival.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I've done both.

I liked the online check in as far as I walked in they had my packet ready and I just went to my room. (I had a split stay at 3 resorts)

I did change on the last resort. I was at a point that whatever room was available was more important to me than my requests. They changed it up in about 5 minutes.

My next trip I will probably do online. I am only doing one resort, I paid for the catatgory I wanted, and I'm in a small resort so even if I don't get my building request it should be fine.

In fact the only problem would be if I get upgraded in catagory, as a River view at POFQ would put us further away from where I want to be.

When I have a vary particular preference I would go back to resort checkin but for the no hassle checkin Online is the better deal.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: