Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #31
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Based on my experience on my last two cruises (Dream in 8/12 and Wonder 2/13), they can keep the band even when going to edge.

My DS12 in the Dream started at Club and then on the second day started going to Edge. But since he wasn't sure if he would go back to Club, he kept the band on all the time.

This time in the Wonder, he went straight to Edge. He was given a band (paper type). But we saw other kids wearing both the Club electronic band and the Edge paper band.

I know in the past, Edge would require you to remove the band. That does not seem to be the case now.
This is interesting because that is what the CM told me over the phone. I wonder if they are changing it to this?

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #32
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

Now I'm nervous....our cruise isn't until August so I haven't got to the registration date yet but was planning on my 12 year old daughter using both Edge and the Club/Lab. I'm pretty sure our cruise will be pretty booked up and I'm afraid of her being locked into one or the other. My 6 year son has sensory processing disorder and often needs to have her or one of us around at first until he feels that things are "safe" for him. I don't mean just one time, each time he goes he would probably need at least 30 minutes of her being there to get him into a "safe zone", otherwise he will most likely refuse to go in. Is there any way to make a special request so that she doesn't have to get locked into one or the other? (She really wants to be in the Edge most of the time)
ajgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #33
TheWalsh
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgardner
Now I'm nervous....our cruise isn't until August so I haven't got to the registration date yet but was planning on my 12 year old daughter using both Edge and the Club/Lab. I'm pretty sure our cruise will be pretty booked up and I'm afraid of her being locked into one or the other. My 6 year son has sensory processing disorder and often needs to have her or one of us around at first until he feels that things are "safe" for him. I don't mean just one time, each time he goes he would probably need at least 30 minutes of her being there to get him into a "safe zone", otherwise he will most likely refuse to go in. Is there any way to make a special request so that she doesn't have to get locked into one or the other? (She really wants to be in the Edge most of the time)
Tell the CMs they will help.
TheWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #34
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgardner
I honestly don't know how my younger son will do. I haven't found much info about how kids with autism or other sensory disorders have done in the club. I'm just going to play it by ear and start by seeing how he does at the open house times.
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
CajunMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #35
cruisenow01
Mouseketeer

When you embark you will go to a designated lounge, on the Wonder it was the Cadillac lounge, and the concierge will take care of everything. Have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Ok. Thank you. We don't have a lounge as we are on the Magic. Sooo...I am going to assume I need to head to another line then after check in. Wish they would get it right when you call. It is the 3rd time I have asked them something and it turns out the real answer is different then what they have told me! It's like when you call WDW and they say your connected rooms are "absolutely guaranteed". But they really aren't!

cruisenow01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #36
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Ok, from what I've read here, DD 11 does NOT pre register for the Edge, despite the fact that our cruise documents say I can pre register onlinewho can pick her up and create a password? I can't find the place to do it online. But if she isn't comfortable with the older kids in the Edge, I DO have to register her onboard to use the Oceaneers??
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #37
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
Ok, from what I've read here, DD 11 does NOT pre register for the Edge, despite the fact that our cruise documents say I can pre register onlinewho can pick her up and create a password? I can't find the place to do it online. But if she isn't comfortable with the older kids in the Edge, I DO have to register her onboard to use the Oceaneers??
Correct, if she is going to the EDGE there is no registration and no pick-up or password - those kids are allowed self-check-out priviledges. If you/she prefers the Oceaneers Lab, you can register her either in the terminal or onboard because she will need a wristband. She can try out the Edge first and then switch if she really doesn't like it, or you can decide from the get-go that you'd prefer her to be at the Lab.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #38
mtil
Earning My Ears

For the Club/Lab, the concierge check-in inside the terminal can register the kids and provide the bands. On the Dream, there are kids clubs representatives inside the Concierge Lounge that can also process the registration but I don't know if they can do the bands. We've done the Dream twice in Concierge and both times all of my kids were able to get their bands at the Concierge check-in desks.
mtil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #39
audrey13
Mouseketeer

FWIW, we were on the Wonder last week and my DS11 was registered for both the Club/Lab and the Edge and had both wristbands on the entire cruise. We got his Club/Lab wristband at check in at the port and the Edge wristband at the Edge open house on the ship. Even though he wasn't "pre-registered" online, because he was already in the system as a cruise guest it was a quick matter to get his Club/Lab wristband at check in. He mostly went to the Edge but did a few activities in the Club and Lab with his sister (age 4). It was nice to have the flexibility, especially with an activity that I wasn't sure my DD would be comfortable doing on her own (like the Ratatouille cooking class in the Lab). She loved doing it with big brother.

1970s and 1980s - numerous trips as a child
Oct 1997 - off-site, May 2006 - CBR, Feb 2008 - CSR, Feb 2010 - AKL, Sept 2010 - AKL and Universal, April 2011 - off-site, April 2012 - CSR, April 2013 - Wonder Western Caribbean

October 11-15, 2013 - princess trip with DD4
April 5-13, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge
audrey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #40
cgncga
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMomof3 View Post
I honestly don't know how my younger son will do. I haven't found much info about how kids with autism or other sensory disorders have done in the club. I'm just going to play it by ear and start by seeing how he does at the open house times.
My daughter (a month shy of 9 when we cruised last October) has epilepsy and high functioning autism with some pretty significant sensory issues and she loved the Club/Lab. We couldn't get her out of there sometimes. We were only on a 3 day cruise, but after the first day, she even stayed there while we were at dinner and the shows. There was less commotion to bother her there than in the main dining rooms or theatre, and it gave our older daughter some one on one time with us which doesn't happen often given all of her younger sister's needs.

As an aside, my eldest (11 1/2 when we cruised) had absolutely no interest in the Club/Lab, but really enjoyed herself at the Edge--and loved being able to check herself in and out.

Catherine
cgncga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #41
disjest8
Proud Parent of 8

We just cruised on both the Wonder and the Dream in early March. Our sons had turned 11 and 10 in January and February. On both ships, both sons were allowed to float between the Edge and the Lab. We pre-registered the 10 year old for the Lab online, but went to the Open House for the Edge on both ships the first day and spoke with the counselors. As soon as they saw the boys, they said they could both float. I'm sure it was partially due to the fact that the ships weren't full and partially due to the fact that our older son is very shy and our younger son is clearly the leader.

Spend time learning how to use the Wave phones the first day, they are awesome!

Have fun!

Mar 2013 - DCL Wonder and DCL Dream/May 2013 - DCL Magic
Mar 2012 - Freedom of the Seas/Sep 2012 - BLT, BCV,Oasis of the Seas
Mar 2011 - OKW,Carnival Dream
Feb 2010 - Pop Century and Freedom of the Seas
Mar 2009 - Independence of the Seas/Sep 2009 - BCV,Carnival Legend
Feb 2008 - Navigator of the Seas/Sep 2008 - Pop Century and DCL Wonder
Mar 2007 - SSR,DCL Wonder/Sep 2007 - AKV & DCL Magic Western/Nov 2007 - Shades of Green
Apr 2006 - Orbit One/Nov 2006 - BCV,BWV,DCL Wonder
Jan 2005 - Cypress Pointe Grand Villas/Sep 2005 - BCV,OKW,DCL Wonder
disjest8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: