Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Wands vs. Forbidden Journey

We are heading to IOA on May 21st - (shhh- surprising the kids) - the two MUST do's for them ( and every other person visiting HPW, I am sure) are The Forbidden Journey and the Wand store.
1.We will be there when the Park opens - should we do the Wand thing first, then Forbidden Journey?
2. I cannot do simulator rides (Star Tours and Simpsons destroy me) - so I am thinking that I should skip this ride...so..
Can I get in line for the Wand thing while my kids and husband go on the ride? Or will I get in big trouble when they join me in line?

Or if I even think I might be ok to ride this (would love to try!) - then back to question #1.

We have never been to IOA - so any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Ya, no line cutting will be allowed. However, you should walk through the Forbidden Journey queue with them. There are exits right before the ride starts. The queue is excellent and an attraction of its own.

I have motion sickness like you but taking a bonine when I get up in the morning makes me able to ride Forbidden Journey just fine.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Ya, no line cutting will be allowed. However, you should walk through the Forbidden Journey queue with them. There are exits right before the ride starts. The queue is excellent and an attraction of its own.

I have motion sickness like you but taking a bonine when I get up in the morning makes me able to ride Forbidden Journey just fine.
Excellent info - thanks for the quick response. I think I will take some bonine before we go, then plan to do the ride together. So we should do the ride first then head to the Wand shop after?
Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
Excellent info - thanks for the quick response. I think I will take some bonine before we go, then plan to do the ride together. So we should do the ride first then head to the Wand shop after?
If the Ollivanders line is short, do it first. Make sure you arrive at the parks about 30 minutes before opening. It will take you 15 minutes to park and get to the park entrance. They usually open the park about 15 minutes early.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
If the Ollivanders line is short, do it first. Make sure you arrive at the parks about 30 minutes before opening. It will take you 15 minutes to park and get to the park entrance. They usually open the park about 15 minutes early.
Thank you so much for your help - and thank you for naming the *Wand Shop* for me - Ollivanders. Got it!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

I get severely motion sick. I can't even ride in the car in heavy traffic where it's stop and go traffic without getting motion sick. But the last time hubby and I were at universal I did forbidden journey. Of course we waited until we were about ready to leave and then got in line. And I sucked it up and went on. I did have a headache when I got off but it was worth it. Like others said even if you don't do the ride itself still walk through the castle and then tell the tm that you aren't doing the ride. They will kindly show u the way out. (I've done that before too)
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Jenc581
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We are heading to IOA on May 21st - (shhh- surprising the kids) - the two MUST do's for them ( and every other person visiting HPW, I am sure) are The Forbidden Journey and the Wand store.
1.We will be there when the Park opens - should we do the Wand thing first, then Forbidden Journey?
2. I cannot do simulator rides (Star Tours and Simpsons destroy me) - so I am thinking that I should skip this ride...so..
Can I get in line for the Wand thing while my kids and husband go on the ride? Or will I get in big trouble when they join me in line?

Or if I even think I might be ok to ride this (would love to try!) - then back to question #1.

We have never been to IOA - so any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Hi, I am same as you and also cannot do simulator rides, however the forbidden journey is a must! The queue is an experience itself and not to be missed, the castle is amazing. I must say the ride is pretty awesome, there was only one bit I thought oh no... Definitely give it a try. We went in Oct and there was no wait for the Forbidden Journey, but Olivanders had around a 30 minute wait and don't hate me for saying this, but it wasn't worth it. We personally found it disappointing for what it was.
Jenc581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizisfun View Post
I get severely motion sick. I can't even ride in the car in heavy traffic where it's stop and go traffic without getting motion sick. But the last time hubby and I were at universal I did forbidden journey. Of course we waited until we were about ready to leave and then got in line. And I sucked it up and went on. I did have a headache when I got off but it was worth it. Like others said even if you don't do the ride itself still walk through the castle and then tell the tm that you aren't doing the ride. They will kindly show u the way out. (I've done that before too)
Thank you for your advice! I think I am going to give it a try - I think this might be a *once in a life time* chance. I don't see us going back anytime soon (still trying to absorb the idea of the expense for just 2 days there! ) - but it is all worth it for the kids. I am hoping with a little medication and possibly closing my eyes for a bit, it will all work out. As long as I survive and don't embarass my kids by loosing my breakfast on my crocs, it will be all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenc581 View Post
Hi, I am same as you and also cannot do simulator rides, however the forbidden journey is a must! The queue is an experience itself and not to be missed, the castle is amazing. I must say the ride is pretty awesome, there was only one bit I thought oh no... Definitely give it a try. We went in Oct and there was no wait for the Forbidden Journey, but Olivanders had around a 30 minute wait and don't hate me for saying this, but it wasn't worth it. We personally found it disappointing for what it was.
I don't hate you! lol! Thank you for sharing your opinion. It may end up being a TRex experience ( painful and expensive, but makes the kids happy - type of thing) - but at least we will get to say we experienced it.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
jkc0325
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It may end up being a TRex experience ( painful and expensive, but makes the kids happy - type of thing) - but at least we will get to say we experienced it.

LOL!!! That is exactly how my dh and I feel about TRex But, it was worth it because the kids still, 2 years later, talk about how much they loved it there.

I've been debating doing Ollivander's on our trip...I do NOT want to buy 3 wands that will never get touched once we get home
Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
kuhltiffany
DIS Veteran

If you do a search on yotube, there are videos that show both Ollivanders and FJ, they will give you a better idea of what to expect.

I'm in the same boat as you, kids are 8 and 9 and have never been before, huge HP fans. We're splurging and staying on site so we can get in early and fit everything in...

I've been BOO'ED by SallySkelington!!!
kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

If you go to Ollivander's first and buy wands, they will need to be put somewhere before riding FJ, and I have *heard* that the wand boxes do not fit into the ride locker. So it might be a perfect time for you to hold off on Forbidden Journey, and just be the wand box bag holder if the family buys them.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
If you go to Ollivander's first and buy wands, they will need to be put somewhere before riding FJ, and I have *heard* that the wand boxes do not fit into the ride locker. So it might be a perfect time for you to hold off on Forbidden Journey, and just be the wand box bag holder if the family buys them.
Lockers are 16 inches long, 10 inches wide and 10 inches high so anything longer than about 18.5" will be tough to fit in diagonally across the bottom or more than 21 inches diagonally from top corner to bottom opposite corner.

I think the only wand that a tight squeeze is the alder wand which is 17.5" long and because the box is larger, it is a hard fit.

You can always have the wands sent to the front of the park for package pickup.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
whenever you (day or hotel guests) shop and buy merch in the park, all guests have the option of picking up their items at the end of the day.

tell the TM you want your purchase sent to the front merch store and held there for you.

easy peasy...

and if you want the merch wrapped and padded for travel home, tell them and they will do that.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
whenever you (day or hotel guests) shop and buy merch in the park, all guests have the option of picking up their items at the end of the day.

tell the TM you want your purchase sent to the front merch store and held there for you.

easy peasy...

and if you want the merch wrapped and padded for travel home, tell them and they will do that.
I suggest the wrap and padded We are bringing a wand back that was broken in transport. US customer service has been extremely helpful and told me to just bring it with me (or ship it) and they would exchange.

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Steph&katie
Best friends are going to Disney!

When we got wands a few years ago we put them diagonally in the locker but we didn't really like it because our bags and snacks etc there as very limited space for everything else!

The previous time as me and my friend want a little collection we got another wand each and we sent them to the front of the park you have to give them three hours notice that's it! And when your waiting for the FJ anyway by the time you've been on that etc and get to the front of the park your stuff will be there
They hold your stuff until the end of the day it's your responsibility to pick them up etc.

But my suggestion is package pick up is best its free and easier for you

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: