Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
Wolf65
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Britain
Posts: 17

To avoid data roaming I got a shop to switch it off on my phone (bought a smart phone a few months ago and didn`t have a clue how to use it at first!) .It would however,still mean you can make and receive calls ,which of course isn`t necessarily what you want.I have a USA pay as you go sim so doesn`t cost me to receive calls or texts.
I highly recommend Skype for those who have wifi on their phones (or even netbooks with a headset/mic).It`s so cheap as it connects through the free wifi at Disney and hotels.You do need a good signal to make and receive calls though,but I found enough places where I could do this by just checking signals as I wandered.It`s very cheap to use and easy and you can look up the cost of calling any country with Skype before you call.I only found it when had a problem in Mexico and the hotel`s CC machine kept rejecting my card to pay for hotel and spend all the cash on my phone £50 trying to sort it out with my bank (turned out it was the hotels faulty machine put the payment through multiple times GAHHH!)Skype saved me and I was able to call extremely cheaply.By having data roaming off it also means I never accidently connect to the internet with the very expensive phone line as opposed to the free wifi.
Wolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #17
crabbie1
DIS Veteran
 
crabbie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: kingswinford uk
Posts: 3,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf65
To avoid data roaming I got a shop to switch it off on my phone (bought a smart phone a few months ago and didn`t have a clue how to use it at first!) .It would however,still mean you can make and receive calls ,which of course isn`t necessarily what you want.I have a USA pay as you go sim so doesn`t cost me to receive calls or texts.
I highly recommend Skype for those who have wifi on their phones (or even netbooks with a headset/mic).It`s so cheap as it connects through the free wifi at Disney and hotels.You do need a good signal to make and receive calls though,but I found enough places where I could do this by just checking signals as I wandered.It`s very cheap to use and easy and you can look up the cost of calling any country with Skype before you call.I only found it when had a problem in Mexico and the hotel`s CC machine kept rejecting my card to pay for hotel and spend all the cash on my phone £50 trying to sort it out with my bank (turned out it was the hotels faulty machine put the payment through multiple times GAHHH!)Skype saved me and I was able to call extremely cheaply.By having data roaming off it also means I never accidently connect to the internet with the very expensive phone line as opposed to the free wifi.
If you put on airplane mode it will also stop calls and messages coming through. My iphone would simply be used as an ipod

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/mcqy6efeovttz4hh.png[/img][/link]
crabbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
Davscotcar
Mouseketeer
 
Davscotcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edinburgh Scotland
Posts: 175

On my iphone would i switch off cellular data and data roaming and leave enable 3g on!
Would i need a US sim or would the current one be ok?
__________________
[/COLOR]



1. July 82 Cocoa Beach
2. Aug 91 I-Drive 3. Oct/Nov 98 WDW All Star Sports 4. Sept 99 DLP 5. May 01 WDW POR 6. Jan 04 DLP 7. Oct 06 DLP 8. July 07 WDW POR 9. NEXT VISIT June/July 13 Highway 27 Villas
Davscotcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Supercod
Remember Supercod is a friend, not food!
 
Supercod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 234

Hi, if you think you will need to make phone calls or want to have 4G or 3G access outside of the free wifi you will find in many places, than I can recommend the Net10 sim, I bought mine and a $50 unlimited top up via eBay before coming to the states and I am totally using it like crazy for Internet access, I like to use Foursquare to check in to places, and when I checked in to the M&Ms store in Florida Mall I got a free 15% discount ;-) But having this USA unlimited sim has been magic for ordering taxi and such like.

I transfer from International Drive on Sunday to Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge for 10 nights so will find out how good hotel and park wifi is during this peak Spring break time.
__________________
Best Wishes,

Clarke

Disney World
Mar.00 Off Site - Days Inn
Mar.01 Beach Club
Apr.03 Wilderness Lodge
Nov.05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Apr.13 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Disneyland Paris
Feb.96 Off Site - Some Place in Paris
Feb.12 Disney's Sequoia Lodge
Supercod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
crabbie1
DIS Veteran
 
crabbie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: kingswinford uk
Posts: 3,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercod
Hi, if you think you will need to make phone calls or want to have 4G or 3G access outside of the free wifi you will find in many places, than I can recommend the Net10 sim, I bought mine and a $50 unlimited top up via eBay before coming to the states and I am totally using it like crazy for Internet access, I like to use Foursquare to check in to places, and when I checked in to the M&Ms store in Florida Mall I got a free 15% discount ;-) But having this USA unlimited sim has been magic for ordering taxi and such like.

I transfer from International Drive on Sunday to Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge for 10 nights so will find out how good hotel and park wifi is during this peak Spring break time.
Wifi at AKL was great. Never had any issues.
__________________
[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/mcqy6efeovttz4hh.png[/img][/link]
crabbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
Supercod
Remember Supercod is a friend, not food!
 
Supercod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1 View Post
Wifi at AKL was great. Never had any issues.
Good to know as I still need to do work, all be it 5 to 10 mins at start of the day ;-)
__________________
Best Wishes,

Clarke

Disney World
Mar.00 Off Site - Days Inn
Mar.01 Beach Club
Apr.03 Wilderness Lodge
Nov.05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Apr.13 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Disneyland Paris
Feb.96 Off Site - Some Place in Paris
Feb.12 Disney's Sequoia Lodge
Supercod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #22
Andrew*A
Mouseketeer
 
Andrew*A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bridgend, Wales,UK.
Posts: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemck View Post

I have done this, and it works... I also have the google voice app on my phone and can use it to make/receive calls with wifi.
Does google voice allow you to make international calls as well?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
Andrew*A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #23
Disbabe
DIS Veteran
 
Disbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Stafford, Staffs, UK
Posts: 1,052

I bought an ipad mini to save taking my mobile phone and worrying whether I would get charged or not
__________________
DLRP April 2000 , Wynfield Inn (village premier) May 2001, Quality Inn International Drive May 2002, 4 Bedroomed Villa Clear Creek May 2003, DLRP October 2003 , DLRP August 2004 , Fairfield Inn Marriott Village May 2005, DLRP December 2007 , Cypress Pointe Resort (Grand Villas) March 2008, Cypress Pointe Resort (Grand Villas) July 2009, Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa July 2010, Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel, Anaheim & Best Western Royal Palace Inn & Suites, Westwood July 2011, Cypress Pointe Resort/Disney's Beach Club Resort July 2013 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa August 2014

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Disbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #24
jjpenguin
A penguin with mouse ears & wooden shoes?
I'm going to sulk!!
 
jjpenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Jozi, Jo'burg, City of Gold
Posts: 3,308

Great info, will have to dust off my I pod touch then and just use that ;-)
__________________
July 1974 Offsite * Feb 1997 Offsite * Feb 1998 Offsite * Feb 1999 Offsite * Feb 2000 POFQ and Disney Wonder * March 2001 DLP Sequoia Lodge * Nov 2001 1st DVC trip VWL + OKW * March 2003 BWV + AKL Concierge * May 2004 HH + BCV for Star Wars Weekends * Nov 2004 OKW solo trip * Feb 2005 Disneyland * Sept 2005 DVC Member Cruise & Vero Beach * May 2006 Star Wars Weekends again, at BWV * Sept 2006 2nd Solo trip at ASMu and SSR * May 2007 Using up our AP at OKW - Pirates of the Caribbean Adventure on the 7 Seas Lagoon * Sept 2007 Very last minute quick fix solo trip at SSR! * Sept 2008 - DH and me at SSR


jjpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #25
Supercod
Remember Supercod is a friend, not food!
 
Supercod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 234

In Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge on the in-room wifi just now. That works fine, however you have next to no chance of getting on the Public Area wifi or the in-park wifi, at least at this time of year as it seems everyone these days has a smart phone and wants on it. But main thing is the in-room wifi seems to be fine.
__________________
Best Wishes,

Clarke

Disney World
Mar.00 Off Site - Days Inn
Mar.01 Beach Club
Apr.03 Wilderness Lodge
Nov.05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Apr.13 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Disneyland Paris
Feb.96 Off Site - Some Place in Paris
Feb.12 Disney's Sequoia Lodge
Supercod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #26
luke
Señor Mejor
 
luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercod View Post
you have next to no chance of getting on the Public Area wifi or the in-park wifi, at least at this time of year
Let me beg to differ there, as I'm sat outside the Tower of Terror and the wifi is just fine, as it was in Epcot and DTD yesterday as well as the rest of Hollywood Studios today

__________________
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
Supercod
Remember Supercod is a friend, not food!
 
Supercod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Let me beg to differ there, as I'm sat outside the Tower of Terror and the wifi is just fine, as it was in Epcot and DTD yesterday as well as the rest of Hollywood Studios today

Finally got on it today in Animal Kingdom park after 20 or so try's to log in, but once you get logged in, seems it will let you on without much issues later.. However if your counting on this as being away to keep in-touch when in the parks, I would go with the "great if you get on but don't count on it approach".
__________________
Best Wishes,

Clarke

Disney World
Mar.00 Off Site - Days Inn
Mar.01 Beach Club
Apr.03 Wilderness Lodge
Nov.05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Apr.13 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Disneyland Paris
Feb.96 Off Site - Some Place in Paris
Feb.12 Disney's Sequoia Lodge
Supercod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #28
janiebubble
DIS Veteran
 
janiebubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Merseyside, UK
Posts: 762

Have to agree with Luke, I've been on wifi in all 4 parks without issue these last few days. In attractions you don't always get signal but in the main areas its fine.
__________________
Disneyland :2003 2004 2005
Walt Disney World:1990, 1993, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Disneyland Paris:1996(won a holiday!), 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005(x2), 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 (x3) 2013 2014
Disney Cruise Line: 2011 - Magic 7 Day Med

janiebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
Supercod
Remember Supercod is a friend, not food!
 
Supercod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebubble View Post
Have to agree with Luke, I've been on wifi in all 4 parks without issue these last few days. In attractions you don't always get signal but in the main areas its fine.
Yes it seems once you finally get on once, you get on all the time without issue. But a quick search of the Inter Webs shows tons of people with the same issue, indeed my wife couldn't get on with her iPhone4 after I got on with my iPhone5 at first I thought it was an iPhone issue as loads of people with the same issue had iPhones but clearly since I got on with mine it must be something else.

But I think it's valid to say, if you really need to stay in contact, get a sim that works in the USA as a back up.
__________________
Best Wishes,

Clarke

Disney World
Mar.00 Off Site - Days Inn
Mar.01 Beach Club
Apr.03 Wilderness Lodge
Nov.05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Apr.13 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Disneyland Paris
Feb.96 Off Site - Some Place in Paris
Feb.12 Disney's Sequoia Lodge
Supercod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #30
luke
Señor Mejor
 
luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercod View Post

Yes it seems once you finally get on once, you get on all the time without issue. But a quick search of the Inter Webs shows tons of people with the same issue, indeed my wife couldn't get on with her iPhone4 after I got on with my iPhone5 at first I thought it was an iPhone issue as loads of people with the same issue had iPhones but clearly since I got on with mine it must be something else.

But I think it's valid to say, if you really need to stay in contact, get a sim that works in the USA as a back up.
My wife has struggle getting online with wifi a lot on her 4s but I've always managed it well on my 5 too

__________________
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.