Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
gottagetback
Wish I was there right now...

Secret to surviving Animal Kingdom?

AK is a hot park that spread out. I've been maybe 3 times but have probably only seen half of what there is to see. I'm hoping to see more this time and take in more animals, etc. but worried about how hot it can be there for my mom. What are your favorite and somewhat shady things to enjoy there? And good spots to get out of the heat for a mid-day break?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Docmom
Mouseketeer

Go early and head to the safari first - the animals don't like the late afternoon heat much either! If I read your post right you're going in early May so it shouldn't be too bad heat wise. A few years ago we bought one of those water bottle fan things and it worked really well to cool us off. I don't know if disney still sells them though. The conservation station in Rafiki's planet watch is cool (in all senses of the word). We go on the trails and jungle trek and they don't seem too hot because of all the trees / shade. Stopping in the stores is another good way to cool off. Enjoy your trip!
Docmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
disney-dreams
proudly earning my ears

We will be there the same time as you with my daughter that has epilepsy... we are actually celebrating her 'sweet 16'.

She too has a very hard time in the heat and the sun, but we have done many a WDW trips, even in July, and learned ways to work around this.

For AKL, I suggest going later in the day because lots of guests leave the park after the parade in the afternoon. We often times have to go later in the day because my daughter requries more sleep than most, especially when out of her typical routine and with the two hour time difference. So we have tried several different things... arrive at 10am with breakfast at Tusker House, didn't work out so well... arrive at 12noon and fight crowds and the heat in the middle of the day and then trying to get around when people lining up for the parade... or going in the later afternoon after the parade adn this has worked out the best. Besides, the last several Safari rides of the day generally see lots of animals because it is cooling down and the animals are getting ready to leave their stations to go eat dinner so they are more visible.

Of course, our favorite time to go was the extra magic hours they use to have at night at Animal Kingdom and those are not more; I don't recommend the extra magic morning hours because those are crazy and the park is again quite busy until after the parade.

Whatevery you decide, take it slow, enjoy the Rifiki planet watch train ride to the exhibit building... very relaxing and lots of shade!
disney-dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetback View Post
AK is a hot park that spread out. I've been maybe 3 times but have probably only seen half of what there is to see. I'm hoping to see more this time and take in more animals, etc. but worried about how hot it can be there for my mom. What are your favorite and somewhat shady things to enjoy there? And good spots to get out of the heat for a mid-day break?
For a shady lunch break, try Flame Tree BBQ. There is a lot of shady seating behind the counter service location. It's pretty too, all along the river's edge.

Also, AK has two of the best shows in any of the parks, IMO, Nemo and Lion King. Both are indoors and air conditioned and would make a nice break in the heat of the day. Tough to be a Bug is also indoor and a/c, but shorter than the other two shows. Finally, the bird show is has lots of shaded seating.

We found the walking paths to see the animals to be the hottest part of our day, so space those out or try to hit them early or late.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

January 2017.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
disney-dreams
proudly earning my ears

Yes, Yes... Love Nemo and Lion King shows!!! Forgot to mention both (the 'Tough to be a Bug' show freaks out my younger daughter so we dont do that but there is lots of shade).

Has anyone heard if the Lion King show will be open in May, I understand they are relocating it due to the construction taking place for the future 'Avatarland'.
disney-dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
rj137
Earning My Ears

Nemo and Lion King shows in the afternoon and Safari in the morning. Always check the weather as thunderstorms can be scary and intense.
rj137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
bocaj1431
Mouseketeer

Just want to share a couple of products I have purchased which help with cooling off.

- Frog toggs chill pad. Love these! I purchased mine at Walmart in the camping section. They are a cloth made out of special fabric. After soaking in warm water a short period they are ready to use. You just wring out the excess water and they will stay cold to the touch for hours. If the pad is to big you can cut them into smaller sections.

- Kafka's kool tie from REI.com. This is a scarf which has special beads inside which after being submerged in water will provide cooling relief. Placing this on your neck is the very spot which can bring your body temp down quickly. They sell other versions online,if you do not like the selection of fabric. They run about $11.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
gottagetback
Wish I was there right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocaj1431
Just want to share a couple of products I have purchased which help with cooling off.

- Frog toggs chill pad. Love these! I purchased mine at Walmart in the camping section. They are a cloth made out of special fabric. After soaking in warm water a short period they are ready to use. You just wring out the excess water and they will stay cold to the touch for hours. If the pad is to big you can cut them into smaller sections.

- Kafka's kool tie from REI.com. This is a scarf which has special beads inside which after being submerged in water will provide cooling relief. Placing this on your neck is the very spot which can bring your body temp down quickly. They sell other versions online,if you do not like the selection of fabric. They run about $11.
I have my FroggToggs. I'll check out the kool tie. Thnx!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: