Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
VACamm
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at CBR... POR... and POFQ.... out of all of those I liked POFQ the best. We are staying at CSR this June because my sons chose the resort this year.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Our first on-property stay was at CSR and it definately wasn't underwheliming in person. For example, after checking in at CSR and exploring the resort, we went to the Poly for dinner. From a first impression standpoint, we found the general ambiance and resort-like "feel" of CSR to be nearly on par with the Poly (and I love the Poly).

Along those lines, I agree with a PP that CSR is the best bang for your buck on property. From both a theming and amenities standpoint, it's my favorite moderate.

It's also regarded as having above average bus service. In that regard, it's pretty centrally located between all four parks (we're not big DTD people, so the boat to DTD from the Port Orleans resorts doesn't do much for us).

To me, the biggest downside of CSR is the size of the resort (HUGE). Others don't like the fact that it hosts a lot of conventioners visiting on business (I agree that this does somehwat detract from the Disney magic but the flip side is that a lower percentage of the resort's guests are using the busses).
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
To me, the biggest downside of CSR is the size of the resort (HUGE). Others don't like the fact that it hosts a lot of conventioners visiting on business (I agree that this does somehwat detract from the Disney magic but the flip side is that a lower percentage of the resort's guests are using the busses).
I agree with this, and it did affect our stay. However, I would add that, from what I've read, it's not always packed with conventioneers. We just caught a bad break in that there was some HUGE convention while we were there. They were all polite to us when we encountered them; it's just that the number of them was overwhelming when using services common to conventioneers and vacationers, such as the food court. I'd bet most conventions don't have that many people, and that there might not be one at all for a lot of vacationers. If that particular convention had simply had their meals catered instead of using the food court, I might never have noticed a convention was going on.

Last edited by grimley1968; 04-08-2013 at 04:15 PM.
grimley1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #19
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Stay where you think you'd like to stay. Then, next time try another resort. We've stayed at all of the moderate resorts and had good times at all. CSR is my least favorite (my ordering is POFQ, POR, CBR, CSR), but I'd go back again. There was a huge convention there when we stayed at CSR and the sidewalks and pool deck were HOT -- right through your shoes hot. POR's landscaping seems to do a better job of dealing with the hot sun. CSR certainly evoked the feel of the southwest!

I think people need to try different resorts so they can then add to the debate!

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Going to POR in May, but absolutely LOVE CSR.

Its beautiful, and super convenient, especially the Cabanas section.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Just an FYI about CSR. Keep this in mind when deciding. CSR has motion sensors on the a/c units and when there is no movement in the rooms (like when you are sleeping) the air cuts off. Someone suggested you can call maintenance every 2 days and have them come to your room and do some kind of bypass on the motion sensors but I would not want to deal with that every 2 days for my whole trip. That is what changed my mind about CSR. We need a/c when we sleep.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

IMHO, CSR is the best Mod. It is also the newest, which is nice. Pool is nice, grounds beautiful, food offerings great. It is spread out, but we had no problem with a little exercise!
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
Just an FYI about CSR. Keep this in mind when deciding. CSR has motion sensors on the a/c units and when there is no movement in the rooms (like when you are sleeping) the air cuts off. Someone suggested you can call maintenance every 2 days and have them come to your room and do some kind of bypass on the motion sensors but I would not want to deal with that every 2 days for my whole trip. That is what changed my mind about CSR. We need a/c when we sleep.
There are instructions on Buzz's site on how to overide the sensor yourself. It's simple and takes 10 secs. The central A/C at CSR is much nicer than the individual units at the other Mods.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
saskdw
DIS Veteran

The fact that CSR is "big" and "spreadout" is one of the things I like about it. We've spent two Christmas's there when the resort is full (2100 rooms worth of people) and never had a problem finding a quiet place to relax. Really the only time it seems busy is if you go to the main pool or food court at the wrong time. Quiet pool was always quiet and always a place to sit. We love walking around the resort and enjoying the view. I guess we have an athletic family so maybe the walking doesn't bother us as much as some. Heck, somedays we would goto the parks, than I would workout at the fitness center including a run on the tread mill and than go for a walk around the resort later with the wife. Each to their own, but to us CSR is a great value. I'm not saying its better than the Deluxes, but for the price difference great value.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

We've stayed at POR, POFQ, and CSR. CSR is my favorite moderate. I like the room decor and the pool is the best outside of SAB that I've experienced at WDW.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
dminnie
DIS Veteran

I had those instructions for the AC with me just in case and didn't need to use them...we were there in March, so maybe it wasn't so hot.

We've stayed at CBR, POR and CSR. I think I liked CSR the best, except for how spread out it is. The lake is beautiful, but there aren't the walkways across it like at CBR and POR. Also the main pool area there is not by the main food areas, although there is food available at the pool. I definitely thought CSR had a more deluxe feel to it: nicer toiletries, sliding doors for the bathroom area, health club, more food options. The pool was great: longest slide of all the mods., largest hot tub. We got a room near the health club and really enjoyed that and the quiet pool by the health club. It seemed like we had better luck with the bus there. I think I liked the general feel of CSR better.

POR is a close second. We got the mansions area though. I don't like the decor of the bayou area rooms. CBR was good too, but they still have just full sized beds.

If I had to rank them, it would be : CSR, POR, CBR.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Can't remember if it's CBR or CSR but one of them is the only Mod to still have Full sized beds instead of Queen.

I liked the look of these, but in the end did not choose either because of the size of the resort. (I had a rental but I didn't want to have to drive within my own resort to eat or catch a bus)

I ended up at POFQ and loved it. I would choose it everytime I was staying MOD, but if I had to choose another resort on the MOD level, the dealbreaker for me ould be a Full bed. I'd stay at a Value and save the money if I had to give up a queen size.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #28
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl
Can't remember if it's CBR or CSR but one of them is the only Mod to still have Full sized beds instead of Queen.
Actually all moderates have queen size beds now, except for CBR.

I've stayed at both and love both a lot. But I do prefer POR because I find it prettier and I love the food court and boat to DTD. As well as the bike rentals.

But CSR has the best bus service on property. And I love that there's CS by the pool. It is a gorgeous resort as well.

Id go with whatever appeals to you most. Theyre both great! Cant go wrong either way.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #29
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

We have stayed at POFQ, POR and CSR (3x at CSR, once each at the other two). We love CSR! It truly has deluxe amenities at a moderate price. The theming is gorgeous, there is a 24 fitness facility, spa and hair salon, great pools, a jog trail around the lake, beach volleyball by the main pool, hammocks. We like to stay in Casitas and love the location to the bus/our car, as well as the room setup. The beds are the most comfy beds ever! We rent a car but this past trip we used the buses from csr (in addition to the car) and we were impressed. This was during the Princess half marathon and leftover presidents day crowds ad the buses were great.

We like POR as well but the amenities aren't as good, imho. I do like POR food options better. The resort food options don't matter as much to us since we drive a lot we can go anywhere for meals easily. I love the gym and jog trail and the theming more at CSR. POFQ was not for us. Don't care for the theming, and although many people rave about the small size, we like a bigger resort. The food court, pool, lobby, and overall areas were packed at pofq due to the small size of the resort.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #30
Gibbygirl
why am I here when I should be there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post

DIS board has a very strong POR following. I call them the POR army! They invade every thread on the board.
The POR Army will be along shortly to refute everything I've just said!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: