Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #2686
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
From what I've heard.. it's supposed to be done after the Poly gets it's rooms redone and they are in the midst of the refurb now.

No exact dates though... Disney doesn't give them...

They usually go about 6-7 years before a refurb so they are due.
Thanks for the info, Tink rules! Given that the Poly rooms are supposed to be done this summer/fall, I guess I will cross the fingers that at least some of the GF rooms may be redone by the time January rolls around.
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #2687
WDWOswald
Mouseketeer

For those of you who have stayed at the grand and say it is your favorite resort... what are your favorite things about it in comparison to other Disney hotels?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #2688
electricsoup
Roller Derby Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWOswald View Post
For those of you who have stayed at the grand and say it is your favorite resort... what are your favorite things about it in comparison to other Disney hotels?
It's all the little things. The staff. The grand nature of the resort. The grounds. There is not a part of that place that we don't love!

Other resorts feel a little more like hotels. For us it feels like a second home.

Past Visits: 11/13 (offsite)/12/13 (RPC GF!!), 1/13 (GF), 10/12 (BLT & CR 1 night!) 2/12 (GF), 6/11 (GF), 4/10 (GF), '06 (Pop), 10/04 (CBR), 10/03 (CBR), 3/96, 89, 85 (Off property)
Old 04-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #2689
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

mariamouse - I know exactly what you mean about being on the DIS after a trip. Kind of deflating, right?

I was sort of kidding about the "dreaded duvets" as I keep saying the white duvet with a bed scarf is not my favorite look. Mainly because it looks too much like Holiday Inn to me. Nothing wrong with HI, we stay in them on the road, but not what I want for an expensive resort stay. And it makes the rooms seem so impersonal.

Having said that, I do like the BC renovated rooms. The duvets still have the scarf (to which I say WHY?!? give me an actual throw, please, something useful) but the duvet covers are creamy rather than stark white and the room is soothing. To us, anyway. The BWI rooms do look pretty in photos, haven't seen them in person.

Did you enjoy your BCV stay? We love the Y&BC in general.

Good luck with your plans for next year. Hope you are able to book the Poly without too much angst over construction. So stressful.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsoup View Post
It's all the little things. The staff. The grand nature of the resort. The grounds. There is not a part of that place that we don't love!

Other resorts feel a little more like hotels. For us it feels like a second home.
Ditto to everything electricsoup posted! We love the serene feel of the resort, the beautiful architectural details in the buildings, the music in the lobby, the many dining choices, the landscaping, the 24-hour room service, monorail, EWP, seeing the castle peeking through the buildings, ease of access to the other MK area resorts, the pools, two pool bars, spa, the friendly CMs. Love it all!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #2690
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
mariamouse - I know exactly what you mean about being on the DIS after a trip. Kind of deflating, right?

I was sort of kidding about the "dreaded duvets" as I keep saying the white duvet with a bed scarf is not my favorite look. Mainly because it looks too much like Holiday Inn to me. Nothing wrong with HI, we stay in them on the road, but not what I want for an expensive resort stay. And it makes the rooms seem so impersonal.

Having said that, I do like the BC renovated rooms. The duvets still have the scarf (to which I say WHY?!? give me an actual throw, please, something useful) but the duvet covers are creamy rather than stark white and the room is soothing. To us, anyway. The BWI rooms do look pretty in photos, haven't seen them in person.

Did you enjoy your BCV stay? We love the Y&BC in general.

Good luck with your plans for next year. Hope you are able to book the Poly without too much angst over construction. So stressful.
I completely understand what you mean about the scarf's lack of utility and the fairly generic look of it all. Still prefer that look to the old heavy bedspreads, though! I still have nightmares about the old bedspread at the CR circa early-2000's.

As always, we had a lovely stay at the BC! The BC is one of my favorite resorts as well and this was our first stay at the BCV (or in any villas, for that matter). We completely lucked out with a room on the top floor directly facing Epcot! We could see Spaceship Earth clearly, as well as "Canada" through the trees. We found the BCV location convenient and the exterior/lobby decor beautiful, but would probably stick with a regular hotel room over a studio in the future due to what we felt was a drastic difference in room decor. Would gladly stay in a 1BR or 2BR over a regular hotel room, though! We just love everything about the BC theme, location and relaxing vibe.

I just read on the Poly FAQ that DVC bungalows are definitely in the works-- not sure, though, whether or not serious construction will begin before/extend through Jan 2014. If so, we will likely find ourselves at the GF since we would like to revisit the MK area this time around and the Poly/GF are our faves. I'm just a little bit worried about the GF room condition, new pool fencing impacting the open feel of the resort grounds, and added crowds due to the completion of the GFV. Do you know what full occupancy at the GFV will be numbers-wise? Just seems like it could be a lot of extra people in the pool, waiting for the monorail, hanging in the lobby, etc. Is there any chance that non-DVC owners will be able to rent at GFV so soon after opening this fall?

Regardless, we will end up at a beautiful resort with easy access to the other. Would still love any thoughts/opinions, though! Decisions, decisions...
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #2691
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
Thanks for the info, Tink rules! Given that the Poly rooms are supposed to be done this summer/fall, I guess I will cross the fingers that at least some of the GF rooms may be redone by the time January rolls around.
I think it's also going to be done in conjunction with the DVC... you can't have a brand spanking new building with new decor next to the one that needs to be refurbed.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 04-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #2692
Lulu'sMom
You.Had.Me.At. Sticky.Mickey. ~And DOLE WHIPS too!

Hello everyone! Just back from a wonderful vacation!

So bummed thay we didn't book the GF when we went over there to check it out! The contruction is no big deal! I can't believe I was making this much of a fuss over this!
Poly was nice, but it wasn't the Grand.
Spring break and the weather was something to experience also! LOL
So,DH decided to let me do a BB!!!!!

(drumroll..........) we've got the RPC's deluxe queen booked for this October!!!!!
My favorite Grand room! AND saved 35% off!

So excited~Need to unpack and do so many other things, I have some pics of GF.

♥♥JungleCruiser,Sarah, remembering you always!♥♥

Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #2693
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Lulu'sMom - welcome back!! Awesome you had a great trip, and woohoo about the RPC BB. Can't wait to see your photos.

Having the courtyard pool finished has definitely improved the impact of the construction. With only the DVC building going on, I don't have any qualms over our upcoming Grand stay.

mariamouse - I think the numbers are 143 or 148 keys for the DVC? Something like, anyway, so not as many rooms as the other DVC properties. (if I'm wrong, someone please correct me)

I mostly agree about the bedspreads - I posted a few pages back if I could only choose between duvets and ugly bedspreads, I'd have to opt for the duvets. Over time, the current spreads have grown on me, but when they first debuted I thought they looked sooo tacky. I've always disliked the Poly spreads, they have never seemed to go with anything else in the room.

I recall BCV23 posting she would choose a 1- or 2-bedroom villa over a regular room, but a regular room over a studio. You are obviously not alone!

BTW, I forgot to say thanks for your kind words. I feel guilty getting compliments, as there are so many knowledgeable posters here. (you included!! )

Tink rules - have you heard anything about how much longer they expect the Poly room refurb to take?
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #2694
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

They THINK by the end of the summer... but you know Disney... that's fluid...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #2695
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Well, I found the projected number of keys for VGF, it is 147 - I was all around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
They THINK by the end of the summer... but you know Disney... that's fluid...
So true! I hope they are able to get close to that goal.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #2696
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Well, I found the projected number of keys for VGF, it is 147 - I was all around it.

So true! I hope they are able to get close to that goal.

Thanks so much for the info! And agreed about getting close to that goal!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #2697
ladisneylady
Earning My Ears

Magical Express

Does the Grand Floridian have a dedicated shuttle from the airport for their guests only?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #2698
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
Thanks so much for the info! ....
I should have posted the reported maximum keys for BLT as reference - 428. Much less at the VGF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladisneylady View Post
Does the Grand Floridian have a dedicated shuttle from the airport for their guests only?
No, they do not. Magical Express buses usually visit 3 resorts, which could include WL, CR and/or the Poly. When we have used ME, it was CR/Poly/GF.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #2699
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Tink rules - how did you like the new CY pool? Did the fence around it make the grounds look bad?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #2700
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
I know for me, it's the beauty and peacefulness of the resort. You just wake up and you're on vacation. You're not immersed 150%in Disney theme, but you're close enough to the magic to know you're at Disney....I loved that it was so quiet. Everything was within good walking distance and the bus /monorail / boat transportation was terrific.
Staying on the monorail is absolutely priceless. That had to be our favorite part... the convenience. And when the monorail line is too long, you can take that wonderful little boat and just sit back and enjoy all the beauty.
I love that the GF Cafe is the best kept secret....because the lobster burger is one of THE best things to have at Disney! I love having 1900 PF Character meal at the resort... it's a really fun meal for dinner.
The CM's are very friendly, and truly go out of their way to make your stay very special.

Comparing this experience to the other resorts I've stayed at....POR, CSR, and CBR, hands down there is no comparison. For me, I didn't care for CSR or CBR. They were way too spread out and you felt like you had to walk forever to get to the food court or to a bus or your room. POR will always be in my heart a favorite. It's gorgeous, the people are wonderful, and taking the boat to DTD was really worth it.

But they were just very different from the GF. The GF is more intimate, quieter and you have the convenience of being a monorail ride away. It was so nice to be able to hop the monorail for MK and Epcot and not have to take the bus everywhere.

We debated whether or not to go back to the GF for this trip in June... (this has been in the works for 3 years now) We toyed w/ the YC. Well, we just kept coming back to "it's just not the Grand". Soooo.....in June, we'll be going back to the Grand!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: