Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #391
BellesMommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
This came up on my cruise meet thread, but I thought I would post it here just in case. .

If you don't have to take your passport off the ship (and as I recall on other cruises I did not generally have to take it) you might want to have a copy on you.

This will be especially helpful if you decide to buy some costly piece of glass in Venice or some other high priced "remembrance" along the way. They will need the passport info to fill out the VAT forms at the merchant.

(It could also be helpful if you miss the boat, but that's another problem)
What about a passport card? Can you take these onshore instead of your passport booklet?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #392
disprincess4ever
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellesMommy

What about a passport card? Can you take these onshore instead of your passport booklet?
Good thought. I feel wary of even carrying a passport copy with me into some of those ports. Anyone know if passport card copies would be worth carrying around?

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #393
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

I would love to know DCL's policy on passport cards. I just renewed my kids passports and ordered the card also for my oldest kids, 15, 18, 19 and 21. I figured that would be useful for them if they embark on the own? Maybe I will contact DCL and ask...

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #394
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

A passport card will not be recognized by any legal authorities at any port on a med cruise
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #395
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A passport card will not be recognized by any legal authorities at any port on a med cruise
One other note. The local merchants have likely never seen one either so I am not sure this card would work for the VAT forms

I am not sure why you would be afraid to take a copy of the passport
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #396
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohmomof5 View Post
I would love to know DCL's policy on passport cards. I just renewed my kids passports and ordered the card also for my oldest kids, 15, 18, 19 and 21. I figured that would be useful for them if they embark on the own? Maybe I will contact DCL and ask...
Quote:
Quote:
One other note. The local merchants have likely never seen one either so I am not sure this card would work for the VAT forms

The US Passport card is not globally recognized as an official ID for the purposes of international travel. A few years ago, the US started requiring US citizens to show a passport when returning from places like Canada, Mexico, and The Bahamas by land or sea. The card was created to offer an easier and cheaper way for US citizens to do this on a frequent basis, such as those who live in border towns (a passport book is required for travel by air).

So the card is basically useless outside the western hemisphere.
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back

Future Plans:
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #397
disprincess4ever
Mouseketeer

Quote:

With places like Rome notorious for pick pockets, it's a scary thought that someone might take even a copy of your passport these days. It never hurts to be careful.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #398
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
With places like Rome notorious for pick pockets, it's a scary thought that someone might take even a copy of your passport these days. It never hurts to be careful.
And they have your name and your passport number???? And trust me there is very little these things can get them.

But that's what a money belt is for. the things you don't want pickpocketed....

(Seriously it's very hard to do identity theft via a passport! )

And how would a passport card be safer?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #399
smithtj
Earning My Ears

Transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
DCL won't offer transfers from port to airport for any guests whose flight is earlier than 11:00am.
Actually, they will ... we did this in 2011 (a 10:30 flight to Frankfurt) and have once again booked DCL transfers for a 10:30 flight out of BCN in late July. No problem at all.
smithtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #400
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Back from the Rick Steves travel conference. The presenters were absolutely incredible. Way above my expectations. They convinced me to go with carry on only. Bought four maximum size carry ons. Learned lots about the the french riviera, athens and rome.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #401
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
This came up on my cruise meet thread, but I thought I would post it here just in case. .

If you don't have to take your passport off the ship (and as I recall on other cruises I did not generally have to take it) you might want to have a copy on you.

This will be especially helpful if you decide to buy some costly piece of glass in Venice or some other high priced "remembrance" along the way. They will need the passport info to fill out the VAT forms at the merchant.

(It could also be helpful if you miss the boat, but that's another problem)
In my experience, you can request a VAT form and have everything filled out except the PP#. You can fill that in once back on board. Whether or not they are "supposed" to look at your PP, I don't know. Having shopped at several different stores in different countries, I've never had a problem getting a VAT form without a PP. They just leave that line blank.

Now watch, on my next trip someone will insist. You could also take a photo of it with your phone to avoid carrying a hard copy.

ABD China Jun 2014
Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #402
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
Back from the Rick Steves travel conference. The presenters were absolutely incredible. Way above my expectations. They convinced me to go with carry on only. Bought four maximum size carry ons. Learned lots about the the french riviera, athens and rome.
Carry on only? Now that's impressive.

ABD China Jun 2014
Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #403
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
Been a long time since I checked a bag that was not a surfboard. For some reason airlines don't see that as a carry-on.

We are going for 16 days. Five days clothes, wash them twice.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #404
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
I watched part of this online, particularly the packing lady. We always do laundry when traveling so we can pack relatively light since we don't mind the laundry.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #405
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
I have done three weeks in Europe in a carry on and that included carrying Girl Scout uniforms...

Won't do it this trip because my mother is NOT doing carry on so.....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: