Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
claypje
Earning My Ears

DME or car service

I'm staying at the beach club and am trying to decide if we should use the DME or do a car service. Thoughts? How long does it really take to get your luggage into your room? Is there any way to keep at least one small suitcase with me?
claypje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Normally 2-3 hours after you check in. You can go to baggage claim and get all your luggage if you want. The driver will load it under the bus for you.

We've never regretted using ME. It's a fun start to the trip for us.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Turk February
DIS Veteran

ME is great. You can choose to pick up all your luggage and bring it to ME with you if you'd like. I wouldn't pay for a car service when that's basically what ME is and it's free.
February 2011 - CSR
Christmas 2011 - Contemporary (MK View)
April 2013 - AKL Kidani Village (Savanna View)
October 2014 - POP Century
Childhood - March '83, March '84, November '84, January '87, August '87, October '87
Turk February is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

We took our carry on luggage with us, and had them take the rest. ME is awesome. We were at our hotel within 90 minutes, maybe a bit less. Our room was not ready, but when it was and we got up there, our luggage was there waiting for us.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

We usually rent a car but when we don't we take a car service so we can make a grocery stop.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
cmdg
Mouseketeer

For us, DME has always added to the vacation. I love the excitement of getting on the bus, watching the old cartoons, and seeing the excitement on kids' faces. Now that we have a two year old with us, I can't wait for him to get on! We usually have our groceries delivered.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdg View Post
For us, DME has always added to the vacation. I love the excitement of getting on the bus, watching the old cartoons, and seeing the excitement on kids' faces. Now that we have a two year old with us, I can't wait for him to get on! We usually have our groceries delivered.
I agree! It's like you are instantly leaving the worlds troubles behind. I love that feeling getting on the bus, knowing your vacation has officially started. It's just different then getting in a cab. You have to experience it to understand.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypje View Post
I'm staying at the beach club and am trying to decide if we should use the DME or do a car service. Thoughts?
If we can get a good deal on a rental car, we do that; otherwise, we use a car service. We've never used DME as I like being on our own schedule.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We LOVE Magical Express!!! Getting on that bus is the beginning of our vacation! I love watching the video and the announcement that soon we will be at Walt Disney World resort!

It will take up to 3 hours for your bags to arrive at your resort, although you could get them yourself and put them on the bus as well. We always make sure to bring a carry on with our essentials, and then just wait for our bags arrive.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

For us, when we fly, luggage is a non-issue. We pack what we need for the day in our carry ons. The luggage is delivered within 4 hours or so of landing. Or you could opt not to put the ME tags on your luggage and collect it yourself and have it stored under the bus.

The only time when I could justify the expense of a town car would be if we needed to make a grocery stop on the way to the resort. And even then I would be more likely to place an order through Garden Grocer or Wegoshop and have it delivered.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
momof4minnies
Mouseketeer

I'm going to be the odd ball here. We always say we are going to use ME and save the money, but when our trip gets closer we cave and use a car service.

We have been using the same car service every visit for the past 12 yrs. What we like about the car service -
1. they greet us at baggage claim
2. help with luggage (family of 6, kiddos used to be very little so extra hands were always nice)
3. car is available immediately
4. straight service to our hotel without stopping at other resorts
5. waiting for us at hotel when we are ready to leave

Michael is the owner and a very professional polite person. All drivers we have had have been reliable and professional as well.

I can totally see why others prefer ME. For us, the car service is a luxury for husband and I.

Wheels to Wings www.orlandolimos.com. Very reliable, pleasant and professional. You can tell Michael that Stephanie from Colorado says "hi"

1971 WDW opening year
several visits to DL as a wee one
Oct 1998 Poly
Jun 2000 CBR
Aug 2001 CR
Jul 2003 CR
June 2004 GF CL
Jun 2005 CR CL
Jul 2007 GF CL
Nov 2008 WL CL
Jun 2009 DL Hyatt
Nov 2011 WL CL - DD Sweet 16

NEXT TRIP JUN 2013 BW CL - 2nd DDs SWEET 16
momof4minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Jen7079
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4minnies View Post
I'm going to be the odd ball here. We always say we are going to use ME and save the money, but when our trip gets closer we cave and use a car service.

We have been using the same car service every visit for the past 12 yrs. What we like about the car service -
1. they greet us at baggage claim
2. help with luggage (family of 6, kiddos used to be very little so extra hands were always nice)
3. car is available immediately
4. straight service to our hotel without stopping at other resorts
5. waiting for us at hotel when we are ready to leave

Michael is the owner and a very professional polite person. All drivers we have had have been reliable and professional as well.

I can totally see why others prefer ME. For us, the car service is a luxury for husband and I.

Wheels to Wings www.orlandolimos.com. Very reliable, pleasant and professional. You can tell Michael that Stephanie from Colorado says "hi"
I know it is rude to ask how much something costs...but how much is the car service? It doesn't say on their site.

While the free service is nice I hate that somehow my hotel is always the last stop. It drives me crazy and kind of starts my vacation off wrong. This year everyone else in my party will already be there so I want to get there as soon as possible (:
Jen7079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen7079 View Post
I know it is rude to ask how much something costs...but how much is the car service? It doesn't say on their site.

While the free service is nice I hate that somehow my hotel is always the last stop. It drives me crazy and kind of starts my vacation off wrong. This year everyone else in my party will already be there so I want to get there as soon as possible (:
I know your question wasn't directed my way but I thought I'd share our experience with you.

In 2010 we used FLTours based on reviews we read on here and at the time it was $200 round trip MCO to Epcot resort area in a stretch limo.

We'll be staying at BCV this August and have booked FLTours again. Like everything else the cost increased, now $230 for a stretch limo, but well worth it to start the magic early with the kids and who doesn't like a limo ride?
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

For us, the best part about using ME -- besides not having to drive on vacation -- is not having to bother with your luggage. I'm so happy to get rid of our bags and not worry about trudging through the airport with any of it on either side of the trip that I have to stop myself from making cartoon lovey-dovey eyes at the ME folks.

The one time we came in late -- past ME baggage hours -- we regretted it and vowed to never fly in late again. Not having to slog around with bags is a huge perk.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
saskdw
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if it's luck, time of day you arrive or resort choice, but we've used DME 3 times and it was as quick as possible all 3 times. We normally arrive mid week between 3pm-6pm. Once at CBR and twice at CSR. The first time used DME luggage delivery and the last two grabbed our stuff and loaded on the DME so we had all our stuff right away. All 3 times we were at our resort with-in an hour of landing. Never more than 5 minute wait to get on a bus. Bus always went straight to our resort, not shared. I'm thinking maybe the big Mod resorts CBR, CSR, and POR get their own bus during the day because they have 2000 plus rooms. But our experience has been that we would be at the resort just as quick as you Car Service people for free. Could be luck, but it's been that way 3 times.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: