Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #1591
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Okay, so I am debating getting a Dooney & Bourke satchel onboard. I have a wristlet from 2011 and it's held up very well, but I am more than a little wary because of the reports of bags coming apart that I keep seeing pop up every once in a while, especially when the response from D&B is anything less than a free replacement or repair.

So are they REALLY worth the money? I have never had a dependable, use every-single-day purse or bag that was an investment at this level. It would be a considerable chunk of my personal savings (especially after this cruise, LOL) and I know so many people who buy expensive things just for the brand with no regard for quality. DH and I are willing to invest $$$ in stuff that is well made and will last for a long time; I just don't know if D&B qualifies.

What has been your experience?
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #1592
Brixton
Farms and Kids and Snow - Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
This will be my 5th cruise on DCL that ends here. It has been the same every time. If anyone thinks they will be off the ship by 7:30 may I suggest visiting about 20 miles to the south and go to Fantasyland. Ha ha ha. Sorry had to do it. Honestly I serious doubt it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
My lowly SoCal pass is not as good as your Premier Pass!

I look forward to meeting all of you...four weeks from today!

WONDERful Land/Sea; WONDERful Pixar 2012; WONDERful WBPC 2013; WONDERful Bahamas 2014; WONDERful EBPC 2014; DL AP's since...forever

Last edited by Brixton; 04-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Brixton is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #1593
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton View Post

My lowly SoCal pass is not as good as your Premier Pass! I plan to meet our ride at 10/10.30...in no hurry to leave the Wonder.

I am glad there's resolution on the CG meet & look forward to meeting all of you...four weeks from today!
5/20 is a black out date? I only have the premier because of out three weeks at WDW. It really is a money save despite its big price tag. I think after my trip to DL on this upcoming Friday is my break even day. So after Friday everyday I go is Icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #1594
braysmommy
DIS Veteran

Books

Any book recommendations? Time to load a few books on my iPad for this trip.

I just finished Wild which was a very good book.
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #1595
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post
Another question re SAS shuttles. I looked again on their website but saw that they don't accept reservations for after 6pm. We are supposed to land at 5.29 so I don't think we would make that with bag collections and probable delay.

Does anyone have a name of a car transfer service instead for Fort Lauderdale Airport to Miami South Beach? I think Brixton has one booked. Other than that would just a taxi outside the airport do? I prefer to have something booked really though sometimes that doesn't always work out.
GO Airport Shuttle is a Shared and Private Transportation Service out of Fort Lauderdale Airport...

http://www.go-airportshuttle.com/

We are using them for a private car to the Marriott Biscayne Bay. Cost is $86.25 for two people, tip included.

Their online reservation system allows you to pick your exact hotel.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #1596
Politzania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysmommy View Post
Any book recommendations? Time to load a few books on my iPad for this trip.

I just finished Wild which was a very good book.
If you want topical reading, I can recommend The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 by David McCullough. It's a VERY detailed look at the building of the Canal - tho it felt a little rushed near the end.

I'm on the Kindle Daily Deal email list & have picked up some good stuff from them - also the monthly deals.

If you like science fiction - I can give oodles of recommendations..
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #1597
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
GO Airport Shuttle is a Shared and Private Transportation Service out of Fort Lauderdale Airport...

http://www.go-airportshuttle.com/

We are using them for a private car to the Marriott Biscayne Bay. Cost is $86.25 for two people, tip included.

Their online reservation system allows you to pick your exact hotel.
Thank you, that is a great help.

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #1598
kbishop2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politzania View Post

If you want topical reading, I can recommend The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 by David McCullough. It's a VERY detailed look at the building of the Canal - tho it felt a little rushed near the end.

I'm on the Kindle Daily Deal email list & have picked up some good stuff from them - also the monthly deals.

If you like science fiction - I can give oodles of recommendations..
I have that and added "Cruising through the canal" by Richard Dietrich for a lighter version. I've been gathering e books on my iPad for a month now, and looking at it, I can only observe that I am a total nerd. There is a few scifi books (hey, good ones, like Enders Game!), but also "Gone Girl" by G. Flynn, "The Fault in our Stars", by j. Green, and "The Light Between Oceans" by Stedman.

But if cornered, the two most enjoyable books I've read this year were World War Z by Brooks and The Passage, by Cronin. Because I'm a nerd. Neither are lighthearted cruise reading - zombies and vampires.
kbishop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #1599
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Okay, so I am debating getting a Dooney & Bourke satchel onboard. I have a wristlet from 2011 and it's held up very well, but I am more than a little wary because of the reports of bags coming apart that I keep seeing pop up every once in a while, especially when the response from D&B is anything less than a free replacement or repair.

I have a D&B 'everyday' purse. I bought it for myself for my birthday last year. It is pink (the most important thing in a purse for me) and is a 'bucket' style. The fabric outside is not coated, so it is a little dirty. Also, where it is connected to the bottom has a small rip and is frayed.

I don't care. I love it and use it every day. I get a ton of compliments on it, and I'm genuinely surprised when I get them as nothing else I own generates compliments (well, my pink shoes sometimes do). It was $90 at Marshall's, so about 1/2 price. I have used it for 9 months, so I consider that I've gotten my money out of it and now is it 'free.' It is not going to last forever, maybe another year, but I've enjoyed every minute I've had it so worth it to me.

Buying something on board is always going to be risky as you can't just return it like you can to a store, but I think most of us have had good experiences with the quality of products purchased from Disney.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #1600
DVCTigger
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So are they REALLY worth the money? I have never had a dependable, use every-single-day purse or bag that was an investment at this level. It would be a considerable chunk of my personal savings (especially after this cruise, LOL) and I know so many people who buy expensive things just for the brand with no regard for quality. DH and I are willing to invest $$$ in stuff that is well made and will last for a long time; I just don't know if D&B qualifies.

I have a medium size bag that I got in 2010 (lucky to have had a TON of OBC!) and have not had any problems with it at all. It is my everyday bag and I love it. I also have a wristlet and a small over the shoulder bag. I will never need another purse again! I agree they are a lot of money. Pretty sure DH would not have let me get any of them if it was his money, but since it was OBC, I was able to talk him into letting me get them!
DVCTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #1601
Politzania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishop2013 View Post
I have that and added "Cruising through the canal" by Richard Dietrich for a lighter version. I've been gathering e books on my iPad for a month now, and looking at it, I can only observe that I am a total nerd. There is a few scifi books (hey, good ones, like Enders Game!), but also "Gone Girl" by G. Flynn, "The Fault in our Stars", by j. Green, and "The Light Between Oceans" by Stedman.

But if cornered, the two most enjoyable books I've read this year were World War Z by Brooks and The Passage, by Cronin. Because I'm a nerd. Neither are lighthearted cruise reading - zombies and vampires.
A reader after my own heart - I read both WWZ & Passage & really enjoyed them both! I have The Fault in our Stars on my To Read list as well.

If you like post-apocalyptic reads, Wool by Hugh Howey is awesome! I've got the prequel, Shift queued up for the cruise, and am debating whether to get his I, Zombie as well. Speaking of zombies, I really enjoyed Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - yes, it's the novel the recent movie was based on, but the book is better. (tho I enjoyed the film, too!)
Old 04-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #1602
kbishop2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politzania View Post

A reader after my own heart - I read both WWZ & Passage & really enjoyed them both! I have The Fault in our Stars on my To Read list as well.

If you like post-apocalyptic reads, Wool by Hugh Howey is awesome! I've got the prequel, Shift queued up for the cruise, and am debating whether to get his I, Zombie as well. Speaking of zombies, I really enjoyed Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - yes, it's the novel the recent movie was based on, but the book is better. (tho I enjoyed the film, too!)
That's too funny. I've read the Wool Series (hubby will tackle them on boat) and I, Zombie (was ok, not as good as some of his other works). I've also added Shift and Warm Bodies to my cue. Windup Girl was also very good if you need another. Just finished robopocalypse by Wilson, which was just a fun read.

Can't wait to have Wine on the verandah with zombies!
kbishop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #1603
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:

I have an All Weather Leather D&B bucket bag. I use it every day and have had it for about 3 years. It still looks good. I am not a big fan of the fabric bags, but that is just my preference.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #1604
Jcmh
Mouseketeer

PC Crossing day dinner menu?

Anyone found a copy of the special dinner menu for the day we cross the canal? Previous cruisers all say there will be one, but it is probably the only DCL menu I've never seen posted anywhere. Curious what to expect... (because I have to do something to distract myself while I wait for stateroom numbers to be assigned)
Jcmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #1605
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmh View Post
Anyone found a copy of the special dinner menu for the day we cross the canal? Previous cruisers all say there will be one, but it is probably the only DCL menu I've never seen posted anywhere. Curious what to expect... (because I have to do something to distract myself while I wait for stateroom numbers to be assigned)
There will be one. Expect fish, chicken, meat, and maybe pasta. Soups, salads and a verity of appetizers and sweets. Sorry. I just had to.
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.

Last edited by aan1701; 04-08-2013 at 05:30 PM.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: