Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
jhryb
DIS Veteran

Definitely - I say go as a family and enjoy!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp911 View Post
People complain about kids but i have seen some obnoxious gross adults. Talking so loudly everyone knows their business, chewing with their mouth open, dressed horrendously etc
I have too. But that wasn't what this thread was about. It was about children.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp911 View Post
Really how about you leave and don't go to wdw with families and most of all children. I would have given you and the waiter a piece of my mind.
Hopefully you would have had the decency to remove a crying baby. See, that's one of the problems. Rusty Scupper had to speak up and to some that makes him look bad. But if the parents had done the right thing, the thing that most decent people do, he would not have had to act.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
SwirlyGirly
Mouseketeer

My kids routinely go to much fancier places, and I don't think twice about taking them to any restaurant in Disney (V&A excluded, naturally). They are expected, however, to behave as any other patron of the restaurant should behave. I'm sure if you are the type of parent who is worried about the situation already, then you are also the type of parent who will make sure the meal is enjoyable for your family, and do what you can to make sure your kid behaves properly. Go and enjoy!
SwirlyGirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pletprincesses View Post

Rusty, most parents are more then capable of making the choice when it's time to step out of the restaurant with their kids and don't need server to point at the door for them. I found that most often, adults are the loud and obnoxious ones who think they can make as much noise as they want.

Unfortunately, there are parents who don't have a problem with allowing their kids to negatively impact the dining experience for others. I've never asked a server to mention it to the parent, but I have had signature meals where I couldn't wait to get out of there due to roaring kids (one kid thought he was a dinosaur for an hour & 1/2) kids crying, yelling, running around & kicking chairs. The signature restaurants are too expensive to have that experience. I agree disruptive adults are just as bad. Rusty probably did everyone in the restaurant a favor. I'm sure he'd do the same, if a bunch of drunk adults were ruining the experience for everyone. Regardless of what many people seem to think, WDW is as much for adults as it is for kids. It's for everyone. FWIW, my DS is now 21, but we've been going to WDW his entire life. We also go with my niece's & nephew's kids often. I'm definitely not anti-kid. I'm anti-clueless parent who thinks it's their vacation & no one else matters. Diners shouldn't have to deal with disruptive behavior, because the parents refuse to acknowledge their child is behaving inappropriately in a restaurant where people are being charged signature prices.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
Go Vols
Go Vols

What is funny is that some expect that just because they are paying a high price for a meal that they are entitled to a baby/child-free environment. It seems that they are irritated that children act out and babies cry in an environment at which they chose to dine. I'm not sure that they realize that they are in the family vacation capital of the world...Disney World. If Citrico's didn't want children, then they certainly wouldn't have a children's menu.
Go Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

As a server there is no way on God's green earth that I would ever ask my table to remove a crying child from the restaurant! Not only would that table hate me for the remainder of their time in my restaurant and my tip would be history, but they would probably complain to the manager and I could lose my job! please don't put a server in that position!!!! Ask for a manager if it's that bad.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
Lita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pletprincesses View Post
I took my 4 month old last year and it was a very nice meal. We booked and early ADR as we have 4 kids and prefer to do it around our real dinner time. You alone know your kid. The meal is about 90 minutes long, at least it was for our party of 6. If you think your baby will be able to sit there for that long, then why not. We took the baby to a signature meal every night and no one had issues anywhere.

Rusty, most parents are more then capable of making the choice when it's time to step out of the restaurant with their kids and don't need server to point at the door for them. I found that most often, adults are the loud and obnoxious ones who think they can make as much noise as they want.
Exactly! We've been taking our now almost 6 and 4 year olds to very nice restaurants (not necessarily Disney) since they were infants and never had a problem. We always receive compliments about how well behaved our children are. As parents, we know our children and know how to avoid meltdowns. We know the triggers. We also know when we need to take a child outside for a "talk" before things get out of hand.

DL - numerous times as I grew up in CA
WDW - CBR 97, Poly May 2013
DCL - Dream April 2014
DCL - Fantasy August Eastern Caribbean 2015

Me 40 DH 48, DD7, DD5
Lita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
floridaminnie
WDW is my 2nd home and working on DCL being my 3rd!
Give me a foot massage andI'm yours!
Friends don't let floridaminnie grade papers drunk from too many margaritas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vols View Post
What is funny is that some expect that just because they are paying a high price for a meal that they are entitled to a baby/child-free environment. It seems that they are irritated that children act out and babies cry in an environment at which they chose to dine. I'm not sure that they realize that they are in the family vacation capital of the world...Disney World. If Citrico's didn't want children, then they certainly wouldn't have a children's menu.
We expect the children would act appropriate.

7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
floridaminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #25
thestevied
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaminnie View Post

We expect the children would act appropriate.
This. I have NO problem dining with children in the restaurant, but if they misbehave I'd expect it to be dealt with. No different to queue jumpers, rude adults, drunk adolescents, etc. I have no problem sharing my vacation at wdw with anybody, but poor behaviour should always be addressed and (hopefully) corrected. That's just a decent, courteous and polite thing to do.
1st trip - July 1989 WDW, 2nd trip - Aug1993 WDW, 3rd trip - July 1997 Tokyo Disneyland, 4th trip - June 1999 WDW, 5th trip - Sept 2002 WDW, 6th trip - Sept 2003 WDW, 7th trip - Feb 2004 Euro Disney, 8th trip - Jan 2005 WDW, 9th trip - June 2005 WDW, 10th trip - Sept 2006 WDW, 11th trip - Sept 2007 WDW, 12th trip - Oct 2008 Disneyland, 13th trip - Sept 2009 WDW, 14th trip - Sept 2010 WDW AKL, 15th trip September 2011 - Dolphin resort, 16th trip - September 2013, Yacht Club, 17th trip - September 2014, Dolphin Resort

thestevied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vols View Post
I doubt very much that many (if any)people go to the signatures and expect that they will be in a baby/child free environment. I DO think that they expect that babies/children will be properly parented, and that disruptive behavior will be kept to a minimum. I am quite sure that they realize WDW is a vacation mecca. That does not entitle parents to allow their children to scream or cry incessantly, run around, and otherwise annoy the crap out of all of the other diners in the restaurant (regardless of the age of said diners).
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

this thread will stay open as long as everyone is respectful to others opinions..

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
As a server there is no way on God's green earth that I would ever ask my table to remove a crying child from the restaurant! Not only would that table hate me for the remainder of their time in my restaurant and my tip would be history, but they would probably complain to the manager and I could lose my job! please don't put a server in that position!!!! Ask for a manager if it's that bad.
I can't imagine putting a server in that position either. I've been to restaurants where other tables were misbehaving and I could see how stressed and harried it made the staff. All I could do was sympathize and endure it like everyone else. But I'm curious, if you were put on the spot like that, how would you react? Would you give the request a, "Thank you, I'll let my manager know"?

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #29
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumba View Post
this thread will stay open as long as everyone is respectful to others opinions..
I don't know that I would consider one poster telling another to get out of WDW "respectful" and then that poster starting another thread that has already been shut down.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #30
Jetta8300
Mouseketeer

I am not personally bothered by babies at all in these signature restaurants, however I am aware that some people are. My husband and I have not had a bad experience yet with an unusually loud baby, and we have been to almost all of the signatures at this point.

Having said that, I will point out that Citricos is one of the quieter signatures for sure. We have our first baby on the way in June, and even though It is our FAVORiTE signature, we will definitely not be bringing him when we go back to Disney hopefully next year. (He will be about 9 months when we go back, IF he comes with us.). I would not personally enjoy a 2 hour meal worried about my baby disturbing others. But to each his own, that's just me. Signatures are LONG meals.

Some of the louder signatures we have been to where we might possibly feel more comfortable bringing a baby are Flying Fish, Le Cellier, and California Grille
Jetta8300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: