Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
megmatthbeck
Earning My Ears

Another Split Stay Question

We're planning a visit in August 2014. We are DVC members but are planning on staying 5 nights BC or BLT and then 2 nights in the AoA Little Mermaid area (DD will be 2.5 and loves Ariel).

How much of a hassle is this going to be? I don't want to waste a whole day to check-out and then back in at another resort. However, it would really save us points and DD would love AoA.

Thanks!
megmatthbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by megmatthbeck View Post
We're planning a visit in August 2014. We are DVC members but are planning on staying 5 nights BC or BLT and then 2 nights in the AoA Little Mermaid area (DD will be 2.5 and loves Ariel).

How much of a hassle is this going to be? I don't want to waste a whole day to check-out and then back in at another resort. However, it would really save us points and DD would love AoA.

Thanks!
You will have to check out of your DVC resort by 11AM, but check in time at the new resort will be 3PM, not after 4PM like all DVC resorts. You will be homeless until your new room is ready, though. So you might plan a day at the park until your room is ready or a day at the pool once you check in (or even after you check out of your DVC resort - you can swim there for the rest of the day after you check out).

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

If you plan it right, it shouldn't be a hassle. We love split stays, but we usually stay MK/Epcot split. So it was an easier transition. I would plan a park day rather than a pool day because you have to mess with changing clothes, having your wet suits, etc. Or you could do DTD day too. If you don't want to waste a day completely, I wouldn't even go to Art of Animation until after 3, closer to dinner time, etc. That way you aren't waiting around for your room just at the resort. Check out of the first resort, leave your bags, take essentials, head to a park, when you are done at the park, head to Art of Animation. By that time, everything should be ready. We love split stays. Feels like two separate vacations. If you plan it right so you dont' feel like you are homeless!
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

We are DVC members as well and almost always do split stays and never have any issues. I would suggest doing the AoA LM stay at the beginning of the trip. We find it hard to go from a DVC (or deluxe) to a value but it's not a "let down" the other way around. Our DD is 5 and dying to stay at AoA as well
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
mmmears
DIS Veteran

It doesn't have to take all day. We check out early morning, ask bell services to transfer our bags to the second resort, then go to the parks. Sometime in the afternoon, we'll go to resort #2 and check in and ask for our bags. Just realize that your luggage may not be there until somewhere between 3-5 pm. But that's how we do it -- we don't waste any park time with the split since we do like to go back in the afternoon to swim.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
megmatthbeck
Earning My Ears

Thanks to everyone! I always feel reassured with my planning after visiting here!

We'll definitely go ahead with the BC/AoA plan. Originally I thought to start at AoA then switch to BC, but we're worried that my DD will not want to leave the mermaid room to stay somewhere else!
megmatthbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by megmatthbeck View Post
Thanks to everyone! I always feel reassured with my planning after visiting here!

We'll definitely go ahead with the BC/AoA plan. Originally I thought to start at AoA then switch to BC, but we're worried that my DD will not want to leave the mermaid room to stay somewhere else!
But you'll leave the free washer and dryer and kitchen behind... Always better to move up than move down.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
It doesn't have to take all day. We check out early morning, ask bell services to transfer our bags to the second resort, then go to the parks. Sometime in the afternoon, we'll go to resort #2 and check in and ask for our bags. Just realize that your luggage may not be there until somewhere between 3-5 pm. But that's how we do it -- we don't waste any park time with the split since we do like to go back in the afternoon to swim.
I agree with this . You can also take a cab to AoA first thing in the morning, check in, leave your luggage with bell services and then head out for the day. You may get lucky and your room be ready that early, but if not, they will hold your luggage .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

We did a split stay last year and didn't really find it to be a hastle and are planning on most likely doing a split stay again this year. Last year we went frkm BLT to CBR. On the day we were leaving BLT we took our luggage down and told them we needed a transfer. They wrote up tags and attached them for the next resort and told us our bags would probably arrive after 3pm and reminded us to check to make sure we had everything we needed with us. Since we were at BLT we took the monorail over to MK and started our day in the parks. When we were ready we took a bus to CBR and got settled into our room. Bags arrived sometime in the afternoon. Everything went smoothly.

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

But you'll leave the free washer and dryer and kitchen behind... Always better to move up than move down.
In the eyes of a 2.5 year old, AoA probably is moving up lol.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
In the eyes of a 2.5 year old, AoA probably is moving up lol.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
But is that 2.5 yr old paying for the trip? They can find something wonderful at any resort. Tell them they will see bunnies outside their DVC resort and they will want to stay there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: