Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
PKK/MJK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOrBustColorado View Post
That was an awesome comparison from MickeySTL! I even learned something new. That being said, we have never tired the DCL bus; mostly because I am a control freak over my trip & how timing runs. Maybe we will try the DCL bus someday though. Just to have a different experience.

We are a family of 4 & a car is the cheapest option for us by far. We used Happy Limo last year & were very pleased with their service. Great communication from them & from our driver. Our cost to take a town car from WDW to Port Canaveral & from Port Canaveral to the Orlando airport was $238. + a $20. tip each way Totaling $278. for the car including the tips. Happy Limo had the widest variety of time choices. I was extra pleased because the Fantasy didn't make it into port on time because of Hurricane Sandy. The DCL website had no updates & I couldn't reach them on the phone. So I called Happy Limo & they seemed totally on top of things & knew exactly what was going on. They called my cell phone & gave me updates as needed & we were constantly in touch with our driver.

Below is the town car from Happy Limo that came to pick us up at the Caribbean Beach Resort in WDW.

We were on the "Sandy Fantasy" voyage and we had no idea as to when we were going to dock either. (we are going on the Fantasy again same time this year)

We live in NJ, but drove to Fl and stayed with our DD who was on the cruise with us (she is a WDW CM) we drive to the port and park in the new parking deck. We have taken the DCL bus several times but now we prefer to drive to WDW, stay at either at the resort or with DD and drive to the ship..

WDW--82,83,85,87,89,93,95,96, 97,98,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12
DVC/OKW
PKK/MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #17
quentina
The bridge has been built and crossed
Old cups are just that.......old cups

I always rent a car. I never return it, I pay to park it at the terminal. Once the cruise is over, I walk...get in and leave. To me, that is worth the extra bucks.

PS- I always priceline. I rarely pay more than $120.00 for a weeks rental (mid-size to min-van).
quentina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
Donna3271
DIS Veteran

The earliest we've ever been to the port taking Disney transportation is 12:25. We usually spend the morning at the resort pool. They are usually empty, and for me... with 3 kids, it is less stressful than being at the terminal.

BUT, I can understand if it is your first cruise. I would imagine you would be anxious to get to the terminal. It is very exciting.
Donna3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
micknme
Mouseketeer

OP here.
It looks like it will cost not too much more with Happy Limo than with Disney but I do like the thought of how Disney will handle the transfer of our suitcases. If we go with a limo service, what happens with our luggage when we get to the port? I have visions of us lugging it around with us as we wait to board. I like the thought of the limo, but am wondering if we will be overwhelmed without the DCL bus there to guide us...

We also thought if we don't get an early time for boarding since we don't get to choose until 75 days before, we would probably be better off staying with Disney as getting there at an earlier time would be of no use. Maybe we should stick with the DCL bus for now until we find out when our boarding time will be?

As you can tell, I am such a newbie and am really in need of advice. Thank you again for all your help.
micknme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
MDTerp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknme View Post
OP here.
It looks like it will cost not too much more with Happy Limo than with Disney but I do like the thought of how Disney will handle the transfer of our suitcases. If we go with a limo service, what happens with our luggage when we get to the port? I have visions of us lugging it around with us as we wait to board. I like the thought of the limo, but am wondering if we will be overwhelmed without the DCL bus there to guide us...

We also thought if we don't get an early time for boarding since we don't get to choose until 75 days before, we would probably be better off staying with Disney as getting there at an earlier time would be of no use. Maybe we should stick with the DCL bus for now until we find out when our boarding time will be?

As you can tell, I am such a newbie and am really in need of advice. Thank you again for all your help.
There will be porters to greet you and take your "properly tagged" luggage to the ship. It will then be delivered to your stateroom by your room host/hostess. We tipped the curbside porter about $10-15 ( there were 8 of us and 6 or 7 bags b/c we sent so e carry on sizes too). It worked great!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Disney Magic
September 2009 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
September 2010 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
July 2011 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Disney Magic
April 2012 - 5 Night Double Dip - Disney Dream
November 2012 - Bahamas - Disney Dream
March 2013 - Mexico/Castaway Cay - Disney Wonder
February 2014 - Bahamas - Disney Magic
October 2014 - 3-Day Repo Castaway Cay - Disney Magic

DVC Member Since 2007 - AKV, BLT and BWV
Trips to the World...2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Aulani - 2013
MDTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

As a first timer in February we were able to get an 11:30 PAT 75 days out. As a first timer cruiser we did car rental from WDW. Next time if we stay at WDW the night before our cruise and want to get there before 12:00 we will do limo. If we don't care about getting there later we will do DCL transfer. One of the big conveniences about limo according to other posts is they will make a stop along the way for you. Their are porters at the terminal to take your luggage so don't even worry about that. If the anxiety of being a first timer is really bothering you then do the DCL transfer getting there later IMO is just fine.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OP here.

We are newbies too and thanks for asking all these questions as they are helping us too!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #23
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not quite sure what to do regarding getting from our resort to the port.

If taking the cruise line bus, are there different times for the bus to leave for PC? Or do they all leave pretty much the same time. I don't know what time to choose for port arrival if we do take the bus and will it get us to the ship way later than most other travellers so that we won't have any luck signing up for Palos brunch, mixology, etc.

I'm wondering if I should cancel the bus and book a a shuttle or limo for the two of us (don't even have a clue of other companies to book or prices) I am such a cruise newbie and would really appreciate any guidance you all can give me.

TIA
The shuttles will be at the port waiting to fill up with the passengers getting off the ship and leave as they are full, once they arrive at the airport/resorts they will fill back up and head back to PCL... later port arrival is to be expected. I would either hire a limo or rent a car.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: