Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
scottashackleton
Mouseketeer

Disney Dining Plan Questions/Dilemma

My fiancee and I are trying to determine the best way to deal with the following situation. We have come up with a couple of scenarios, but we figured we would open the floor for discussion in case we have overlooked any good options.

We will be on our honeymoon from 9/29-10/12 for a total of 14 days, 13 nights. Our first 8 nights will be spent at the Boardwalk Villas using rented points. Our next 5 nights we are moving to BLT using our own points.

Ideally, we were planning on doing maybe 6 or 7 nights worth of dining plan in order to hit some of the pricier TS locations and then paying for the rest of our 2 weeks OOP. This is where we run into a bit of an issue. We wanted to be able to spread out our 6/7 days worth of meals over the 2 weeks and not have to shove them all into the first or second half. If we wanted meals right when we arrived, we would need the individual who we rented points from to add that meal plan for us, thus inducing another money transfer. Also, those meals would expire at the end of our BWV stay, on 10/7. Conversely, if we booked the DP on our own reservation, they wouldn't be available until we checked into BLT on 10/8 and we are now shoving all those meals into the second half of our vacation.

The only real way of being able to spread out those meals over the 2 weeks that we have come up with is to purchase a 3 or 4 night DP on our rented reservation and then another 3 nights or so on our own reservation. This way, we can spread out the meals and just make sure we don't have any credits left over at the end of each period.

Anybody else have any suggestions?
scottashackleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottashackleton View Post
My fiancee and I are trying to determine the best way to deal with the following situation. We have come up with a couple of scenarios, but we figured we would open the floor for discussion in case we have overlooked any good options.

We will be on our honeymoon from 9/29-10/12 for a total of 14 days, 13 nights. Our first 8 nights will be spent at the Boardwalk Villas using rented points. Our next 5 nights we are moving to BLT using our own points.

Ideally, we were planning on doing maybe 6 or 7 nights worth of dining plan in order to hit some of the pricier TS locations and then paying for the rest of our 2 weeks OOP. This is where we run into a bit of an issue. We wanted to be able to spread out our 6/7 days worth of meals over the 2 weeks and not have to shove them all into the first or second half. If we wanted meals right when we arrived, we would need the individual who we rented points from to add that meal plan for us, thus inducing another money transfer. Also, those meals would expire at the end of our BWV stay, on 10/7. Conversely, if we booked the DP on our own reservation, they wouldn't be available until we checked into BLT on 10/8 and we are now shoving all those meals into the second half of our vacation.

The only real way of being able to spread out those meals over the 2 weeks that we have come up with is to purchase a 3 or 4 night DP on our rented reservation and then another 3 nights or so on our own reservation. This way, we can spread out the meals and just make sure we don't have any credits left over at the end of each period.

Anybody else have any suggestions?
Unfortunately, you can't just pick and choose which dates you want the plan to be active. It just doesn't work like that. I would pick one reservation to add the plan to or just go OOP the whole time. Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
scottashackleton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post

Unfortunately, you can't just pick and choose which dates you want the plan to be active. It just doesn't work like that. I would pick one reservation to add the plan to or just go OOP the whole time. Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding.
Thought DVC reservations were able to purchase less nights than their stay consisted of? Or at least they used to be able to?
scottashackleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I would go ask on the DVC Boards, I know you use to be able to say purchase a DP for whatever days you wanted during your stay and not include other days.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
smitch425
DIS Veteran

I believe that was referred to as "segmenting", and they stopped allowing it a couple of years ago. I remember people being very upset about it here on the boards.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
4chickadees
Earning My Ears

Correct... you have to purchase for your stay

Yes, that is correct... You have to purchase the dining plan for the length of your stay (either the first half or the second half).

If it was me... I would price out what you would spend on the ddp & what you think you would spend if you pay cash. I think you might find a little more flexibility if you just pay cash. I cannot imagine eating that extravagant every day -- especially for 7 days straight (on either side of your honeymoon). After a couple meals out in a row, a bowl of cereal or an easy salad might hit the spot!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!
:-) Laura
4chickadees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

Very interesting that they used to let you pick and choose. Especially since they mess up the regular length of stay dining plan so often. I would think those poor people picking would have a real mess on their hands. LOL

Congratulations OP!!!!!!!!!!!!
disneyfantotheend is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: