Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #1996
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

Richard perry driving experience

I just found out my mom can get discounted tickets to the driving experience. I'm thinking of getting my husband and my nephew tickets as a surprise anyone ever do the ride along?

Sorry I know it's but everyone here is soooo knowledgable

Me, DH, DD7, DS3

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #1997
commdoc
Mouseketeer

Pay for upgrade?

We have a non-club garden view for next week (13-17). Paid in full as a package. Is there any way now or at check in to find out the cost to upgrade to a one bedroom suite? There are 3 of us.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #1998
DT83097
DIS Veteran

Another room view question

We are staying at BC in September and we have 5 people (3A / 2C) so I know we will be given daybed priority. We also booked water view. I assume water view could include a quiet pool right? I really want to be on the 'back side' of the resort overlooking either SAB or ideally the lagoon but also prefer a full balcony (as it is my little place to escape when we are all in the room). So I'm wondering, given the limited # of full balconies, how likely we would be to get both requests (lagoon and full balcony)? I plan to add both to our room request but just want to be realistic about the chances.
Thanks everyone - this is one of the best informational threads on the boards, and always very fast moving!! Can't wait for September

Aug 1997 CBR; 2000 CSR; April 2002 Offsite; April 2007 Poly ; Aug 2007 CBR
Aug 2009 Poly; Sept 2010 YC; Sept 2011 Poly; Aug 2012 YC ;Feb 2013 BLT; Sept 2013 BC
CSR Feb 2014-upgraded to YC! ; June 2014 GF
Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #1999
daneenm
Just call me Pollyanna ...everyone else does!
this is the first time we had tried it
The kitchen is not typically a likely option

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
Hello all my fellow BC/YC crazies!!

I'm happy to be back on the DIS after quite a long sabbatical. My wife and I found out on January 26th that our 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. As you can imagine this was a huge shock and a kick in the stomach to all of us and for the last 2 and a half months have been dealing with all that comes with her condition.

Though I haven't had time to post I have briefly lurked around and I have to say that the few minutes here and there on the site has done as much as anything else to keep me sane. T1D can be overwhelming at times, especially when it hits your beautiful, young 11 year old, so any break from reality has helped.

I wouldn't say that things have gotten easier but I do feel like I may be able to visit more often and actually start to post again. As my wife and I have said, we have never needed a trip to our beloved BC more than now. August seems like eons away and this trip will certainly not be as care free as past trips given everything that now encompases our day to day routine, but we need it and can't wait for it more than ever before.

Just wanted to say hello and let you all know that you have all inadvertently helped me through this difficult time by allowing me to read your posts and dream about the BC. I can't thank you enough. Hopefully I can start to contribute again and join the cause!!

Jay
Jay, as a fellow parent of a child with T1D (DS12 was dx at 20 months), I am so sorry to hear that you have joined our ranks. This disease is overwhelming, all encompassing and in no time at all you will feel like you should be offered a medical degree for all that you have needed to learn. Having said that, you and your DD will find a time in the not too distant future where you don't spend every minute consumed by her Current BG, did her carbs get counted right, should she eat, was her dose right, is she exercising too much for the insulin she had, etc. While I would never call it easy, I would say it becomes a new version of normal that just becomes a natural part of daily life.

We were so worried about our first trip to WDW with DS...we had done DL quite well but the factors of heat, more walking and being across the country from home had us on edge. I will tell you how pleasantly surprised I was at how well it went for us. For us the things that worked were...carry 2x the amount of supplies you think you will need, always have portable snacks and glucose sources with you (especially in line), test,test,test. We had a wonderful trip, with no serious T1D based issues. The best news of all is that a Mickey Bar is just the thing to keep the BG up while walking in the heat

We have been at this now for more than 10 years. T1D does not rule our lives. DS is your typical 12 year old boy who swims year round, plays basketball, does well in school and wrestles with the boys on the front lawn. As a point of info he was on MDI (multiple daily injections) for 5 years before moving to an OmniPod insulin pump, which we love! I wish you the best as you and your family are adjusting to this, and just wanted you to know that there are many folks out here on the DIS that would be happy to offer support. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
- DLH: 1999, 2008 (Concierge)
- GCH: 2004, 2006 (Concierge), 2009, 2011, 2012

WDW:
- YC Concierge: 7/23/07 - 8/2/07

Wish I could visit more....
Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #2000
Mickey & Minnie Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamkat1820 View Post
I just found out my mom can get discounted tickets to the driving experience. I'm thinking of getting my husband and my nephew tickets as a surprise anyone ever do the ride along?

Sorry I know it's but everyone here is soooo knowledgable
It has been several years but I did the ride-a-long the same day my DH did the actual driving experience at WDW.

The ride-a-long is a quick 3 lap ride around the track with an experienced stock car driver. I don't recall which organization my driver was with. You need to get all suited up even with the ride-a-long and you get to slide in through the window ... just on the passenger side. We got up to about 145 MPH so like I said, it goes quick!

Now the driving experience is a whole other things with some training before the actual driving. He did the 8 lap experience and had a great time. He got up to 126 MPH which was the fastest of his group. They made it a lot of fun for the spectators as well, playing it all up for the drivers. They also take the "fans" around the track in a van while the drivers are preparing so you can see what they'll be driving around and the banking, etc.

Word of caution though for anyone doing the driving experience. If it rains, they will cancel so I suggest scheduling early in the trip just in case. If you wait until the last day and it rains, you will only get a credit that has to be used within a certain amount of time. Which can be at another track, but still has the time limit. They don't do a refund.

There are definitely discounts out there. And they will also email discounts if you are signed up through their website.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #2001
woolf5150
Earning My Ears

Booked and ready to go week of July 6th! I am ready for heat and new experiences! BCR here we come
Old 04-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #2002
ella6599
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Think I am all caught up!

Thanks for all the good wishes for Ben's show. It was AWESOME!!! Unfortunately, I don't have a great picture of him as Skipper. He did a great job and we are VERY proud of him. I know a few of you have kids involved in theatre. Pom Pom Zombies is one of the favorite shows we have been involved with. Outrageously fun!!!

This sounds like a really fun show... you probably said but I don't remember, school play? My girls have their school play this Thursday (with auditions for the next community theater youth show for my oldest Monday and Tuesday!)
Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #2003
medicgirl177
Mouseketeer

Mickey Mail has arrived! Luggage tags filled out! Airline tickets purchased (scored nonstop by chance!)! Early extra night booked (at AoA due to our late night arrival, we'll see how it goes!)!

Thirty-three bottles of Sunken Treasure on the wall,...33 bottles of Sunken Treasure....!!!!! (T-33days)

Old 04-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #2004
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey & Minnie Mom

It has been several years but I did the ride-a-long the same day my DH did the actual driving experience at WDW.

The ride-a-long is a quick 3 lap ride around the track with an experienced stock car driver. I don't recall which organization my driver was with. You need to get all suited up even with the ride-a-long and you get to slide in through the window ... just on the passenger side. We got up to about 145 MPH so like I said, it goes quick!

Now the driving experience is a whole other things with some training before the actual driving. He did the 8 lap experience and had a great time. He got up to 126 MPH which was the fastest of his group. They made it a lot of fun for the spectators as well, playing it all up for the drivers. They also take the "fans" around the track in a van while the drivers are preparing so you can see what they'll be driving around and the banking, etc.

Word of caution though for anyone doing the driving experience. If it rains, they will cancel so I suggest scheduling early in the trip just in case. If you wait until the last day and it rains, you will only get a credit that has to be used within a certain amount of time. Which can be at another track, but still has the time limit. They don't do a refund.

There are definitely discounts out there. And they will also email discounts if you are signed up through their website.
Thanks so much!!! I'm planning on sending them on the second day we are there for same reason you were thinking. Rain! Or should I say flash flood! I can't wait to surprise them!

Thanks for your input!

Me, DH, DD7, DS3

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013
Old 04-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #2005
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella6599 View Post
This sounds like a really fun show... you probably said but I don't remember, school play? My girls have their school play this Thursday (with auditions for the next community theater youth show for my oldest Monday and Tuesday!)
What is your girls' school play and what are they auditioning for?

Yes, Pom Pom Zombies was the middle school show. It was perfect for this age group. It is a spoof of 1960's beach movies. The head cheerleader eats a hotdog with contaminated relish (actually, nuclear waste) and turns into a zombie. She bites the other cheerleaders and they become zombies, too. It is up to the nerds, beatniks and a tough girl gang to save the day. In the end, true love conquers all!

The songs are incredible and hilarious!

Our community theatre group is doing The Aristocats. Ben is Napoleon the Dog. Picture day was yesterday.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #2006
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by commdoc View Post
We have a non-club garden view for next week (13-17). Paid in full as a package. Is there any way now or at check in to find out the cost to upgrade to a one bedroom suite? There are 3 of us.

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list for next week!

How did you book your stay? Did you book it yourself through Disney? Or a travel agency? Or a travel supplier like Travelocity or Orbitz?

Have you tried calling the Disney reservation line to see if they can quote you the price for an upgrade? I'm not sure how that works if you have booked through a third party- if they "own" the reservation, they may have to get the quote for you, and I'm not sure how to do that through an online service.

You should at least be able to check online (through the Disney site) to see whether there is a one bedroom suite available for your dates and I would guess get a quote for the total cost of the room, without regard to doing an upgrade. At least that would give you a ballpark figure.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #2007
ella6599
Mouseketeer

Quote:
What is your girls' school play and what are they auditioning for?

Yes, Pom Pom Zombies was the middle school show. It was perfect for this age group. It is a spoof of 1960's beach movies. The head cheerleader eats a hotdog with contaminated relish (actually, nuclear waste) and turns into a zombie. She bites the other cheerleaders and they become zombies, too. It is up to the nerds, beatniks and a tough girl gang to save the day. In the end, true love conquers all!

The songs are incredible and hilarious!

Our community theatre group is doing The Aristocats. Ben is Napoleon the Dog. Picture day was yesterday.

Great picture! The school play is Pirates! The Musical- haven't seen the whole thing yet, but the parts I've seen are pretty fun. DD11 is playing Queen of the High C's, and DD9 is playing Bucky the deckhand. DD11 is auditioning for Ghost of Canterville Hall (can't convince her younger sister to audition)- she's hoping to play Virginia, or Mrs. Umney She wants to make a career out of acting (specifically Broadway)...so we'll see. Her younger sister...not so thrilled with the stage, but giving it a shot
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #2008
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Love the costume! Looks like he had a blast.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #2009
elmpark
Earning My Ears

first night food!

hi all - ill be arriving at MCO from london gatwick due in or virgin flight at 5:05pm ET on sunday evening 21st july

I realise the horror stories of long waits at the international customs so am ready for a possible 2 hour wait.

picking up hire car (8 of us in 2 cars) from hertz and then straight to beach club. I'm not contemplating going into the parks 'to play' - BUT.....

we may need to eat - we have 'free' disney dining and are contemplating using one of the counter service credits each to find somewhere to eat a quick meal.

to be honest, landing at 5pm I reckon no earlier than 8pm - maybe 9pm

struggling to find anything hotel wise (other than market place?) for a quick sit down and eat of a counter service meal. not much at boardwalk either - perhaps thinking of going into epcot and fish and chips at yorkshire chip shop?

or perhaps jump back in cars and head to downtown? anyone got any ideas?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #2010
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmpark View Post
hi all - ill be arriving at MCO from london gatwick due in or virgin flight at 5:05pm ET on sunday evening 21st july

I realise the horror stories of long waits at the international customs so am ready for a possible 2 hour wait.

picking up hire car (8 of us in 2 cars) from hertz and then straight to beach club. I'm not contemplating going into the parks 'to play' - BUT.....

we may need to eat - we have 'free' disney dining and are contemplating using one of the counter service credits each to find somewhere to eat a quick meal.

to be honest, landing at 5pm I reckon no earlier than 8pm - maybe 9pm

struggling to find anything hotel wise (other than market place?) for a quick sit down and eat of a counter service meal. not much at boardwalk either - perhaps thinking of going into epcot and fish and chips at yorkshire chip shop?

or perhaps jump back in cars and head to downtown? anyone got any ideas?
I think someone mentioned a cafeteria type eatery at the Dolphin next door???

Maybe the ESPN at Boardwalk might stay open late?
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: