Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
JustAKid
DIS Veteran

Travel Agent vs. DIY

I'm not quite sure this is the place for this, please move to a new home if necessary...

Can anyone who has booked both ways tell me which they liked better, either going through a TA or just booking the pieces seperately yourself and creating your own package?

Also, will a TA book an off-site hotel/timeshare condo/private home for you?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Sweets156
Mouseketeer

I booked with Triple A one trip and the Walt Disney Travel Company this coming trip. I've never not used a TA. With that being said, I can tell you I prefer The Walt Disney Travel Company over AAA. The reason I like to use them is because some questions can't be asked or verified online, if I do it by myself I would worry I didn't do everything I should've done. But if you're confident, go for it! But to me the TA's are there to help you (at no cost)!
Sweets156 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

booked our first trip with a TA - never again. It was such a pain for me to have to call her when we wanted to make an ADR. I like doing it myself much better
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAKid View Post
I'm not quite sure this is the place for this, please move to a new home if necessary...

Can anyone who has booked both ways tell me which they liked better, either going through a TA or just booking the pieces seperately yourself and creating your own package?

Also, will a TA book an off-site hotel/timeshare condo/private home for you?
A travel agent can book anywhere you want, but you don't need a TA to book a Disney vacation. There's nothing a travel agent could book having to do with Disney and I can't do myself and "own" my reservation.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Chellymouse
Dis Veteran

With the need to make dining ressies, having a plan to fit your needs I wouldn't bother with a TA. We haven't used one in many, many years and you are way better off on your own. If you are looking for an on-site villa rental, check out DVC Dave's. We booked direct through WDW for many years prior to our becoming DVC members. There are plenty of money saving tips, including grocery delivery service, off site stroller rental, ect that makes staying onsite less expensive. There is so much info on the DISboards that you should not have any trouble booking yourself and not incurring any fees.

[/IMG]
Chellymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
JustAKid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
booked our first trip with a TA - never again. It was such a pain for me to have to call her when we wanted to make an ADR. I like doing it myself much better
Really? Even with the new online system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
A travel agent can book anywhere you want, but you don't need a TA to book a Disney vacation. There's nothing a travel agent could book having to do with Disney and I can't do myself and "own" my reservation.
Yes, I know one doesn't need a TA to book a Disney vacation, and that I could do it all on my own, which is why I'm wondering which one was prefered by those who have done both.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Cinderella909
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
I've done both ways. I've used TAs and did a package plan but booked my own ADRs. Sometimes, a TA can save you some money, and sometimes I can find the best deal. Just depends on how much one likes to pre planning for a trip. If one uses a TA, then any changes to the reservation needs to through the TA. I've always done my own ADRs, regardless if I use a travel agent or not.

Really depends on how much research and planning you'll like to do.

Enjoy! Karen
Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This!

Some will say that "well the TA will track any special deals and make sure I get them". If you are on this board and check out the Codes Forum or whatever its called you are going to find it out as soon or even before a TA.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

I've done both. I'll never use a TA again. I know more about the ins and outs than most travel agents, and I like having ultimate control of my reservation.

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
blueiis99
It's Disney Magic, you know!

We have done both. Tried a Disney TA company both time ( meaning they only do disney vacas). I was very displease with using a TA. We ended up changing a lot of the things I specifically asked for and she did not provide. I always plan a year in advance so I made sure I left her plenty of time to get the ADRS that we wanted. She also was snotty to me. ( I was always polite and pleased and thank you'd her to death). And only when DH addressed changes or issues was she polite and obliging. I will do it all myself now with Disney themselves, using the boards as guides and a wonderful source if info. Jmo

Me: Jeanne DH: Jay DD 27 Sydney DD 25 Jessica DD 14 Aliyah
blueiis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
fordpony92
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
I've done both. I'll never use a TA again. I know more about the ins and outs than most travel agents, and I like having ultimate control of my reservation.
This!

Our first trip we booked through a TA but after that we learned how easy it is to book ourselves and have done it that way since.

ASMu 11/2004
POP 10/2006
POP 9/2009
CSR 10/2012

ME DW and DD14
fordpony92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

My vaca is finally paid for! Woohoo! I debated & debated... Booking myself or using a TA. I even asked my FB friends for help (before I knew about this). Someone recommended a TA they knew. So I emailed her & ended up using her. If I was to do this again I WOULD BOOK MYSELF! I hated emailing her to make a payment. She is not a whole wealth of info, you all have been more helpful. I booked all my own ADR. She did not inquire if I wanted a special room or if we were celebrating anything. Everyone is different. I like to have control so I probably should have done my own booking. But that's just me.
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAKid View Post

Really? Even with the new online system?

Yes, I know one doesn't need a TA to book a Disney vacation, and that I could do it all on my own, which is why I'm wondering which one was prefered by those who have done both.
I've booked with TAs and I prefer to OWN my reservation and be able to make changes to my reservation so I book all of my own trips to Disney. That's the reason I prefer to not use TAs - apparently you totally missed that in the first response.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
JustAKid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've booked with TAs and I prefer to OWN my reservation and be able to make changes to my reservation so I book all of my own trips to Disney. That's the reason I prefer to not use TAs - apparently you totally missed that in the first response.
Indeed I did. I thought you were saying that the reason you had never used TAs we because you prefer the control of the details yourself. It wasn't directly said, and I didn't understand that you had once used a TA. Furthermore, I thought perhaps you were under the impression that I, like many others, was unaware that one doesn't need to have a TA book their vacation!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for your response!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
CerysG
Mouseketeer

We booked our first trip with CAA and I did most of the research etc. and told the TA what I wanted booked. This time I'm just doing it myself as it's just easier.
I guess if you had a really good agent who knew lots about Disney you might want to your frist trip with their help.
CerysG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: