Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #1156
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffinclaw View Post
Hey all,

I am thinking about making small travel pillows for the kids 10 and under in my FE group using disney fabric and possibly embroidering their names on each. They would be fairly small (12" x 16" a the largest). Thoughts?? I don't want to make them if people wont like them! Thanks for the feedback

Gennie
What a great idea !! We are empty nesters and would love to get a pillow !!! Wish we were on your cruise ! Don't count out cabins without kids ! They'd make great pet pillows,too !
Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1157
Diane71969
CRUSIN ALONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
What are the rules for telling people about a website? I don't want to break the rules.

I have a mailing list for crafters where we buy as a group to get wholesale prices on things you'd use to make FE gifts. (ribbon, key fob hardware, bags etc) I won't say the name unless someone says its ok, in the rules. I looked and can't find specific info either way.

Jen
Can you please PM it to me?

Diane71969 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1158
Diane71969
CRUSIN ALONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesx1 View Post
Jen,
Can you private message me the website info for the FE gift supplies? That way we're not breaking any rules. That would be great.
Thanks
mercedesx1
I want to it too please PM me!

Old 04-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #1159
sorceressk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hey all,

I am thinking about making small travel pillows for the kids 10 and under in my FE group using disney fabric and possibly embroidering their names on each. They would be fairly small (12" x 16" a the largest). Thoughts?? I don't want to make them if people wont like them! Thanks for the feedback

Gennie
Aw too cool! Would luv that!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #1160
Diane71969
CRUSIN ALONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom View Post

If she's okay, can you add me? Thanks!
Can you add me too please!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #1161
mgjmom615
Mouseketeer

I would love to get the info on the DCL vinyl's. Thank you

WDW 20th anniversary 2008

WDW birthday trip for my 11 year old son Sept 2009

surprise trip Sept 18,2010

Just a 3 moms and 3 13 yr old sons trip in May 2011.

First Cruise Sept 12,2013 Disney Dream
mgjmom615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #1162
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey all,

Gennie
That sounds wonderful!

Wonder 12/21/08
Dream 03/27/12
Fantasy 07/14/12
Dream 10/07/12
Dream 10/11/12
Fantasy 05/25/13
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #1163
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrbc9900 View Post

I made them as an Xmas present for family.

Supplies: tile coasters (I used white 3x3, but you could use any size,color, style you want. I've heard the textured ones hold the picture better but i went for the cheapest white ones and they were fine); pictures/prints to put on (I used pictures printed on photo paper); modge podge; foam brush; sealer spray; felt (for the back if u want); straight edge (I used a bamboo chopstick); tacky glue

Process:
1. Wash /dry tiles.
2. Trim picture to fit tiles. I cut mine so they were about 1/4" smaller than tiles on all sides.
3. Using foam brush, coat back of picture with modge podge. (MP). (Don't think it works great with regular paper so I would use at least card stock)
4. Position picture where you want it above tile then lower onto tile. MP dries quick so you won't really be able to move it much after you put it down.
5. Use the chopstick to go across the picture in one direction to push out air bubbles
6. Put a coat of MP on the top (my pictures streaked a little when I did this but it wasn't really noticeable). I ended up putting 2-3 layers of MP on each, letting them dry an hour or so in between each oat
7. Let dry for a day or two.
8. I then sealed mine with acrylic spray sealer. Do this in a well ventilated area!!! I did two coats a couple hours apart. I did it because MP can sometimes be water soluble so I sealed it so they wouldn't get ruined.
9. Trim felt to fit coasters (again I did mine about 1/4" smaller than tile)
10. Line tile underside with tacky glue then lay down felt. I used the bamboo chopstick to seal it better by pushing the chopstick across it in one direction. (Also got out extra glue)

All told took a out 4-5 hours over a couple days to do 20 tiles. Started with a few practice ones that I did full through one at a time. Then when I liked the way they looked and knew what I was doing I set up an assembly line for myself and did them that way.

Cane out pretty good and all recipients loved them and got complements on me.

If you want to paint instead of pictures same process basically. Paint picture,wait to dry, then put down layers of MP then seal after a day.

I had my dd3 paint with acrylic craft paints on some of the Xmas ones too.

Spray sealer smells very strong and lingers for several days so make sure to leave time for them to air out before packaging or you'll be bowled over by the odor when you take them back out (learned that the hard way!)

This is the only crafty thing I can I so if I can do it anyone can. Happy coaster-making!
Thanks so much for these instructions! We just participated in our first FEE in February and we got some coasters like this and they were among our favorite gifts because we use them daily and can remember our wonderful trip. I can't wait to make them for others the next time we sail!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #1164
Rozzy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
Guess what?! I was in our Ikea today and they have a FE!! It's three pockets, absolutely the right size and dimensions, and the pockets would be easy to embellish to Disney-ize them!!! It's called PYSSLINGAR.

Isn't that great?!
It was also pretty reasonable - about $10.
Just had to share!
THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!!!!!! I don't have an Ikea anywhere near me but will have some friends get a few for me and my family for our Halloween cruise on the Wonder! So excited about this find...it completely eliminates the brainstorming needed to create a FE on my own

Rozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #1165
big jack 2002
Mouseketeer

Gryffinclaw

Your pillows sound wonderful. Are you just bringing pillowcases for each child or are you bringing an actual pillow? This sounds like something I could do for the kids on our cruise.....I would have to just bring the pillowcase, though.
Barbara
big jack 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #1166
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzy View Post
THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!!!!!! I don't have an Ikea anywhere near me but will have some friends get a few for me and my family for our Halloween cruise on the Wonder! So excited about this find...it completely eliminates the brainstorming needed to create a FE on my own
You can order them online. Not sure what the shipping is, but the thing itself is only 5 bucks!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #1167
LvCruzin
Earning My Ears

This is going to be my first time on a Disney Cruise to Alaska. I surely hope we are going to have a FE on our cruise. It sounds like so much fun. I am thinking about making reusable snack bags for the kiddos. Up to what age do you think these would be good for?
Much Aloha, Tracey
LvCruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #1168
LvCruzin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by o4me2playn View Post
Can you please add me to the list also?

Thank You in advance!
Love, love this decal.....pls add me to the list too. Mahalo from Hawaii
Old 04-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #1169
LvCruzin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
You are so kind to do this, thanks for sharing your resource.
Love the Mickey with all the words on your thread. Where did you get that, or did you do that yourself? THank you.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #1170
BMCGUIRE
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffinclaw
Hey all,

Gennie
I think we are on your cruise (may 10 out of Galveston?) ... and that sounds awesome! Such a great idea
Wish i was a (younger) kid!
BMCGUIRE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: