Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
PrincessMinnie38
Earning My Ears

Peanut Free Birthday cake?

We are going to WDW this Septmber, one of the days we're going to be there we will be celebrating my youngest son's 4th birthday at the Crystal Palace. My middle son is peanut allergic. No other food allergies, so we would like a birthday cake delivered that is just peanut allergy safe. Not gluten free, ect. JUST peanut safe. Is that possible? Any ideas? Anyone have this done?
PrincessMinnie38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Check out Baby Cakes in DTD. VERY allergy friendly. I think there is some type of dis-claimer about flour and nuts but we are totally good with their policies. Goggle them and see what you think.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
Check out Baby Cakes in DTD. VERY allergy friendly. I think there is some type of dis-claimer about flour and nuts but we are totally good with their policies. Goggle them and see what you think.
The issue with babycakesnyc is with tree nuts (cross contamination) but they'd re also glutenf fee, egg free and dairy free so I don't know if the OP would be okay with that.

Personally, even before I was GF and dairy free I thought their treats were great (I can't eat there now because of coconut and treenut issues)
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
PrincessMinnie38
Earning My Ears

I heard of them but wasn't sure if they'd still be tasty. Somebody mentioned they taste different, not very good, compared to regularly baked goods but if that's our only option we'll try it. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMinnie38 View Post
I heard of them but wasn't sure if they'd still be tasty. Somebody mentioned they taste different, not very good, compared to regularly baked goods but if that's our only option we'll try it. Thanks.
Honestly, yes they do taste a little different but I ate at the one near where I live for about 8-9 months (when I first discovered them when I was NOT gluten free to when I developed my new allergies) and I never found something I didn't like. I think in the end, I tried pretty much everything in the place at least once (and the selection at the locations outside of Disney have like twice the amount of treats).

The only thing I ate that I would not order again is the red velvet cupcake. I tried it twice and it was dry both times. But that was the only thing I had issues with.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
PrincessMinnie38
Earning My Ears

Thanks, I'm glad you told me that. We'll try them out with an open mind, though I'm not going to mention what kind of bakery it is to my husband, he can be a pain about healthy foods..lol. It will be fun to see his reaction.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

If you really want to, you could take a cake from your home bakery with you. We did this on an 8 hour trip for DS birthday because we LOVE our local SAFE bakery and it worked fine. I transferred the cake to a hard sided cake container and it went along just fine. One side did get just a bit smushed but not a big deal. We were driving but a cake can go on as a carry on just fine too.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
PrincessMinnie38
Earning My Ears

We are going to bring some safe cupcakes, just in case. We are driving, it's a 17 hour drive. Ugh.

I really want to surprise him with a special cake at the restaurant though. I think he would love it.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMinnie38 View Post
We are going to bring some safe cupcakes, just in case. We are driving, it's a 17 hour drive. Ugh.

I really want to surprise him with a special cake at the restaurant though. I think he would love it.
Have you contacted Disney to see what they can do for you? I ordered a cake a few years ago when we were there for my daughters Bday and there was a specific number to call and order. I basically told them what I wanted which was some sort of Minnie Mouse cake and they gave several different options to choose from. I bet they have a plan in place for for specific situations like yours.

Quote:
Cakes - Specialty Cakes
Dining Extras | Special Experiences

A custom cake can be the icing on your celebration. Choose from a variety of cakes and shapes, personalized for your special occasion. Just give us 48 hours advance notice so we can make your customized creation. Available at most table-service restaurants. To order any custom bakery cake, call the
Walt Disney World Resort at (407) 827-2253. Requires advanced reservations.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
PrincessMinnie38
Earning My Ears

I tried that a few years ago and they were unhelpful. Disney lumps gluten free with peanut free.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

Crystal Palace has the BabyCakes NYC 6" cake.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

I might be the only person who is not impressed with Babycakes products. I ordered cupcakes from them, and they were inedible. Maybe their fresh products are better than what they ship.

We ordered a peanut-free cake a few years ago at Liberty Tree Tavern. We were actually surprised to find it was gluten-free as well. I wish I knew what kind of mix they use because it was surprisingly good. It didn't taste like most gluten-free products I've tried. We were able to speak with the chef before ordering, and we were very pleased with the end result. It wasn't like the fancy cakes you see on the specialty cake threads, but he did a nice job.
infopurposesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
2excited2sleep
Earning My Ears

We contacted the Contemporary and had a peanut free cake delivered to CP for my son's 5th birthday at the beginning of the month. I think it was around $50 ( DH ordered so I'm not sure).

It was very tasty! We did have to carry it around with us all day so it was pretty melted by the time we got it back to our resort. I would definitely order through CR again. Our biggest fear of the trip was not having the cake delivered during our dining reservation. But everything was delivered so no worries. We had confetti on the table and candles were provided. I'll try and post a pick of it later.

April'13 - AoA
May '14 - POP

Last edited by 2excited2sleep; 04-14-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added pic of cake
2excited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
PrincessMinnie38
Earning My Ears

What was the number you used for the Contemporary to order the cake?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
DCDisney
On my way...

The normal less expensive allergy safe options are gluten and nut free and personally we think they taste awful. If you aren't used to gluten free they just generally don't taste good if you aren't used to it. The babycakes cakes are VERY dry and have an odd texture. I would personally not be happy to pay $50 for that tiny little cake and would rather just let the birthday boy have the complimentary cupcake to celebrate and do something more fun for all with the $50. CP will make sure allergy son would have a nice dessert too.
DCDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: