Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #676
JBeanBunny
royal purple pigment

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniTS View Post
Oooh that's a good idea! What does someone have to show in order to get a handicapped room? One of the official parking tags or something similar? I have a family member that has mobility issues and probably won't know it's an option, so I'd like to let him know

Thanks!
Dani
I'm not certain, but my grandma isn't "handicapped" as much as she is just elderly. Late 80's, early 90's. (Though she does have a handicapped tag for her car!) I would call DCL and ask about an ADA room (American Disabilities Act) and they should let you know IF anything else is required when booking it. My grandma's room was a corner room with a veranda and there was so much space compared to the teeny regular staterooms! In your planning packet, they do ask whose room the bride and whose room the groom are getting ready in so they know where to "pick up" the groom and deliver flowers to the bride. There are also some corner rooms that aren't ADA rooms, but those tend to book up quickly. I booked an oceanview corner room for my photographers and they loved the space!
JBeanBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #677
Spigot
Earning My Ears

Quote:
What a great thread! I only got through the first 30 or so pages so far but I'll be back for more!

My FI and I have been engaged for about a year already and are doing a 7nt Alaska on the Wonder in July 2014. I'm starting to get a little worried because all of the least expensive cabins have already sold out, but looking at the July 2013 cruises there are at least some insides in all of them, so that's calming me down a little bit.

So far we are booked, along with his parents and my mom and grampa (I've never met my dad). We will probably end up with 20-30 people. So far we've emailed close family and a few friends with a heads up and booking info, but will be sending out invites in a couple of months. I'm a graphic designer and they are one of the most important things to me, so we're taking our time (a little bit) while still trying to get everything out at LEAST a year before--these Alaska cruises book quick!

I know lots of brides have been talking about photography so I'll just share what we've learned so far--it was pretty important for us to bring a photographer along and we figured the price of a cabin would roughly equal that of Disney's packages--we both want artistic shots and the chance to meet the photog first, so it seemed to make sense for us.

We put an ad up on a local site very similar to craigslist basically explaining who we were and saying that we were looking for a photog to come along for the cruise and do photos of the wedding day and one shore day (we'll be taking some Alaskan shots with me back in my dress), as well as ideally a few photos around and about the cruise in exchange for their cruise fair/transportation to Vancouver and mandatory tips.

We had NO idea how that would turn out, but within 48 hours we had 4 or 5 responses from really eager, talented, and lovely photographers! We've met with one today and meet with another tomorrow, and I'm confident we'll find someone we love.

My mom suggested that since we were going to be paying for the photographer and would need to match them up with someone to avoid the 200% single surcharge, we find a similar person to do hair and makeup and pay for them to share the cabin. So...similar thing! I asked someone to do hair/makeup for me and my MOH, mom, and little cousins on the wedding and second photo day, and then for me and 2-3 other women on the formal nights (I want to share it with my aunts or something).

Long story slightly less long, I got some responses from my ad, but actually emailed a woman I would have absolutely picked anyway and she was THRILLED to be asked. I met her the next day and we totally clicked, so we'll be absolutely using her and I can't wait. I don't think I've got enough posts to put in a link yet, but I would, so far, totally recommend erinbradley.ca

I'm not sure if the market is a bit saturated in Florida, but we had a great response to our tester ad, and everyone was thrilled to be involved. Plus doing it this way, we were only contacted by interested people--much nicer than being turned down. So far, I'd totally recommend this if you're looking to bring someone along!

Oh my goodness, that's long, sorry! I should probably go start a PJ

Happy planning everyone!
Congratulations! I'm also getting married during our Alaskan cruise on the Wonder. We leave June 9, 2014.
Happy Planning
Stephanie
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #678
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Oooh that's a good idea! What does someone have to show in order to get a handicapped room? One of the official parking tags or something similar? I have a family member that has mobility issues and probably won't know it's an option, so I'd like to let him know

Thanks!
Dani
There was a thread on the Cruise Forum about not really needing to show anything and almost anyone could book a handicap room. I believe there is/was a form to fill out to request one. The major complaint was that the rooms can be hard to get on certain routes and dates. The ealier you book the better. I just think these rooms showed be used for those who need them only, like your family member. I hope you can get one.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #679
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Me too Chrissy .. why anyone would book one without actually needing one is beyond me.

We had 9670 on the Dream Maiden Voyage which was massive, but not classed as handicap. It had the makings of a handicap room, but not a full one which is why DCL hadn't classified it as such. We only booked a GTY so were overjoyed when we saw our massive room and verandah.

Shame they don't ask for proof, leaves it wide open for abuse.

Anyway, back to wedding stuff ... the dress I bought from Ebay should arrive tomorrow. It's 2nd hand but I'm not bothered by that at all ... dress in the shop was £1000, same dress from Ebay £150. Bargain!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #680
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
Me too Chrissy .. why anyone would book one without actually needing one is beyond me.

We had 9670 on the Dream Maiden Voyage which was massive, but not classed as handicap. It had the makings of a handicap room, but not a full one which is why DCL hadn't classified it as such. We only booked a GTY so were overjoyed when we saw our massive room and verandah.

Shame they don't ask for proof, leaves it wide open for abuse.

Anyway, back to wedding stuff ... the dress I bought from Ebay should arrive tomorrow. It's 2nd hand but I'm not bothered by that at all ... dress in the shop was £1000, same dress from Ebay £150. Bargain!

Good on you for looking for the bargin That is what I call a steal

I gotta a formal event in Nov so I am shopping around trying to do what you just did, find a deal But I want to lose some weight first

Chrissy
Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #681
Kabuli1
DIS Veteran

I have not said anything on here before, but to clarify what Jillian said, her grandma absolutely needed a handicapped room because she is unable to step into a tub to shower. She was also recovering from a bad fall and concussion and had broken facial bones and was having trouble with balance and needed a wheelchair most of the time.

We had no idea the room was so big and would prove so perfect for prepping for the wedding - but i would have given anything to have my mother in far better health and hence in a regular stateroom for the wedding!

There are huge rooms in the "corners" of the ship - not all HAA, also the oceanview room with the double windows (Dream and Fantasy) are very large and would be great for wedding prep space.
Kabuli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #682
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuli1 View Post
I have not said anything on here before, but to clarify what Jillian said, her grandma absolutely needed a handicapped room because she is unable to step into a tub to shower. She was also recovering from a bad fall and concussion and had broken facial bones and was having trouble with balance and needed a wheelchair most of the time.

We had no idea the room was so big and would prove so perfect for prepping for the wedding - but i would have given anything to have my mother in far better health and hence in a regular stateroom for the wedding!

There are huge rooms in the "corners" of the ship - not all HAA, also the oceanview room with the double windows (Dream and Fantasy) are very large and would be great for wedding prep space.

I'm sorry your mom was not in better health for your wedding. I hope she is doing better.

Thank you for the info about "corner" rooms on the Dream and Fantasy. I am sure that info will help someone, like me We are looking at a vow renewal on one of the newer ships, but the smaller rooms

Chrissy
Old 04-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #683
JBeanBunny
royal purple pigment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuli1 View Post

Thanks Mom I didn't know what documentation was required since I wasn't involved with booking her room. It was a gorgeous room, though, and worked out in our favor! I also wish grandma was able to get around the ship more easily, but those are BIG ships!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #684
cruisn2castaway
Mouseketeer

Jillian,

Would you mind sharing your templates for the door magnets? I would love to make some for our guests sailing with us for the wedding. Thanks!

Liz
cruisn2castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #685
JBeanBunny
royal purple pigment

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisn2castaway View Post
Jillian,

Would you mind sharing your templates for the door magnets? I would love to make some for our guests sailing with us for the wedding. Thanks!

Liz
Hi Liz!

I didn't use many templates, I made most of them on my own! I don't have photoshop, so I used the free program, Gimp. I made multiple layers- the bottom layer being the Mickey silhouette, then the next layer was the photo or image (disney character, screenshots from the movies found from google image search) then I changed the opacity so you could see the Mickey Silhouette through the image. Then on the top layer I added the guest's name. Then I had them printed and laminated at Kinkos, then cut out along the Mickey Silhouette and added magnets to the back. This wasn't a cheap ordeal, I think some people had better results with printing on magnet-backed paper or having a company like vistaprint make them instead.

BUT... there are some DIS-igners who have been known to design magnets for people. Find the most recent Cruise Magnet Graphics thread and make some requests to the DIS-igners! Milliepie and Blueyes87 were the DIS-igners who helped make custom logos and "I'm here for the wedding" magnets. I know Milliepie has a link to her 4shared and photobucket accounts in her signature and she DOES have a lot of templates.

Here's the link to the last page of the Cruise Magnet Graphics and Links Part 7 thread- I'm sure there's a newer version since this one ended at 251 pages, but you'll see the links to Milliepie's 4shared and photobucket albums AND the password is in her signature, too.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....97587&page=251

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #686
DestinyPrincess
Earning My Ears

Hiii Everyone :D

Im 99.9% sure we are booking a Disney wedding on the Disney wonder for May 2014 :D im so excited! I just finished emailing Meredith a few questions. We have 43 people on our list and I wanted to do an onboard ceremony but the Cadialliac piano room only holds max 40. she said they wouldn't be able to squeeze anymore in. Out of the 43 people, 10 are kids, and 5 are under 2.. but she said its not possible. She said if we wanted to do it, they would do it in the atrium but it would be on the san fran dock day. and that wouldn't work.

Anyways, so ill have to look at the list and see. Id rather have 40 on the list and if people don't show then its okay, rather than having 43 and hoping someone doesn't make it! lol

So once I pay our deposit whats the first thing we should do? :D ive gone through the paperwork Meredith sent and picked out the photography package, the flowers, and the cake. We've picked out music. I went through this blog and made a list for the favour bags.

We wont be doing invitations, lets just say we were suppose to get married two years ago and spent quite a bit of cash and didn't even get married. So im trying to save $ some places or my poor hubby to be might kill me haha

eekk im getting excited tho :D Do cruises book up fast? Should I decide for 100% soon?
DestinyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #687
dclwonderprincess
Mouseketeer

I would say book early so that your guests can book their rooms. The prices for rooms can go up closer to the cruise. You can submit your packet to Meredith early but I would recommend waiting until closer to the due date. I changed my mind about my flowers once i found my dress. Also they don't confirm your ceremony time/location until 45 days out so I wouldn't worry about that too much right now. At the 45 day point you will have an actual count & they can figure out where your party fits. I say book now so you have time for DIY projects.
August 2014 - Alaska on the Wonder
May 2015 - Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy
December 2015 - Bahamas on the Wonder
dclwonderprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #688
andeesings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinyPrincess View Post
she said they wouldn't be able to squeeze anymore in. Out of the 43 people, 10 are kids, and 5 are under 2..
I know NADA about cruises, but could you just hire a sitter who will play with them for the under 2's, or are the under 2's really special (like your own child!!) that you desperately want them to be there?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #689
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeesings View Post
I know NADA about cruises, but could you just hire a sitter who will play with them for the under 2's, or are the under 2's really special (like your own child!!) that you desperately want them to be there?
Unless she brings someone with her, they would need to go into the Nursery. Depending on time of the Wedding that could be difficult. You can prebook a certain amount of time but when you can book is based on your Castaway Club level and that is even limited to give everyone a chance. I don't know the capacity of the Nursery or the current fees

Chrissy
Old 04-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #690
DestinyPrincess
Earning My Ears

Yea I think we may be okay

I'm so excited, but I don't even know where to begin! Or If there is anything I need to do hahahah
DestinyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: