Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #1396
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.carter.5 View Post
Does anyone have any character secrets...maybe a time to see them when the lines aren't so long? a good place to stand for the fireworks?
For majority of the characters, the lines are not long at all. So just be there when they come out and you will be able to meet them (the times are listed in the Navigator). The exception is the princess gathering in the attrium- that one has HUGE lines. I would say be there at least 30 minutes before they come out if you don't want to wait forever (another exception might be Captain Jack on Pirate night).
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #1397
Patricia1
Love everything Disney!

White background pictures

The white background pictures ate great. They are a casual comfortable setting, not formally posed. Pirate night is great if you are wearing costumes. If you have a little one, ask photographer to take a pix when child is jumping. They're great, I'm not a fan of the fake backgrounds, and have never bought one of those, but these I always buy, even after 10 cruises.
Patricia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #1398
FrustratedDonald
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1 View Post
The white background pictures ate great. They are a casual comfortable setting, not formally posed. Pirate night is great if you are wearing costumes. If you have a little one, ask photographer to take a pix when child is jumping. They're great, I'm not a fan of the fake backgrounds, and have never bought one of those, but these I always buy, even after 10 cruises.
I agree with Patricia and then some. If you like the background pictures, and they will add to your fun, by all means, have a shoot with them. ALWAYS request a white or a neutral as well. Look at the result and go from there. If I am pleased with the photo, I will make sure I buy the neutral. You have nothing to loose by doing the shoot. I don't but if I don't like them. That isn't even a statement on the photographer's ability. You know what you want in your pictures, because you know the person and what expressions, etc. warm your heart.

I do prefer the neutrals as well, but love pictures with characters in them and the reaction of the subject to the character. I would rather take my own shot if the ship with my subject(s) standing in front of it, so that I have the real ship there. There is an ideal spot for this on Castaway Cay and it is intentionally there. There are other places and angles as well that you can find on your own.

If you are on an excusion on the Cay that involves a boat, you can get really great shots of the ship as you leave and come back, not to mention the view along the way.

One other tip, and reason to dress up and shoot a neutral. The best photo(and cheapest)I have of my son was taken on a cruise. I didn't even buy his college graduation pictures because they were so bad (not to mention outrageously expensive), but still would have bitten the bullet and purchased them if they were good.

We surprised him with a cruise for his graduation present because he absolutely loves cruising. On formal night he dressed in his nicest suit and we had a photo taken. We did this solely to remember the cruise. The photo came out so well, and is the best one ever taken of him as an adult, it is now his résumé photo.

When the lady took his photo, we told her we were on the cruise as as a college graduation gift to him. She then said she was going to take some with his résumé in mind.

For me to say that it is his best photo as adult, is a lot. I love photos and photography (show me your photos anytime, l never tire of them), I specialized in and taught black and white darkroom in college (favorites were retired people who couldn't even snapshot well, but loved photos and wanted to shoot a decent picture/they did by the end of the course because we shared a love of photography and had the motivation to work hard with someone clear and patient. I learn that way as well, so I picked up the skill from some very caring teachers.

After college, I did professional children's photographer for a while, just to learn the skill, and shot thousands of photos.

Thought of one other thing. For the cruises going to WDW, just I general for anyone going to EPCOT, if you want great photos, get a photo pass (they are free) and go to the place where they do the character shoots. Someone else can be more specific about the name and where it is, I'm sure.

You can have them shoot their professional photos with all the characters, but there is also a cast member standing there by each one who will, on request, take a shot on your own camera so that all of you can be in the picture, or even just take a shot if the same pose that the professional did, so that you can have one on your own camera.

In my experiences there, the cast members are retired people and take excellent photos and I have never had to show them how to use a particular camera.

If you have a Disney rewards ViSA card, across the way, they have a room with specific times that it is open, that you can get a free photo pass picture. When we went to pick it up later, that happened to be the only one we wanted. There was absolutely no pressure to buy more. If you say that is all you want, that is it and you are treated as well as someone buying a bundle.

I appreciate that aspect of it and will buy in the future when I want one of theirs. If there had been pressure at all, I would never go in again. They have it right.

Thank you, Patricia for bringing this up. It triggered this input, which I thought might be helpful.

Last edited by FrustratedDonald; 04-07-2013 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Corrected errors.
FrustratedDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #1399
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

One thing we learned that DH was NOT happy about is that for the photos with backgrounds, you have to take your shoes off. My DH hates taking his shoes off. For me, trying to balance in the atrium while putting shoes on in a dress was not the easiest thing in the world.

Yes, I know that taking photos is optional. However, we're the type that buys photopass on every WDW/DL trip, so we wanted all of our cruise photos also.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #1400
dee slack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
One thing we learned that DH was NOT happy about is that for the photos with backgrounds, you have to take your shoes off. My DH hates taking his shoes off. For me, trying to balance in the atrium while putting shoes on in a dress was not the easiest thing in the world.
Whaaaaat?

Disney Vow Renewal Wedding Pavilion Dec 13th 2007
Visited EVERY Disney park on the planet!!

Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer & Canada 05/02 *Florida 12/02*tour of Italy 05/03 *Kenya safari 12/03 *US S'west states 05/04 *Dubai 12/04 *China & HK 05/05 *Barbados & Royal Clipper 12/05 *Sth Africa, Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 05/06 *India 12/ 06 *Iceland 05/07 *Florida 12/07 (VR) & 10/10* Baltic Cruise 05/11*Tanzania safari 12/11 * tour of Turkey 05/12* Japan tour & TDR 10/12* DCL EBTA 5/13 * HKDL, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand & Singapore 04/14 * Norway 5/14
dee slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #1401
tchrrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
Whaaaaat?
The background (the white one for sure....I don't remember if this appiled to other backgrounds) flows down onto the floor, so you are standing/sitting on part of the drape. The don't want it dirty or torn, so you have to take your shoes off.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #1402
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
The background (the white one for sure....I don't remember if this appiled to other backgrounds) flows down onto the floor, so you are standing/sitting on part of the drape. The don't want it dirty or torn, so you have to take your shoes off.
True on the white background one you take your shoes off the others you do not. Lots of time the white is used with people sitting on the floor too.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #1403
misseulalie
DIS Veteran

I cannot believe this thread is still going strong!!! I created this thread- how long ago??? It's still on the 1-2nd page all the time!! Over 500,000 views!!! COOL!!!

Happy cruising my friends!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #1404
PirateMel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsMom View Post
Coming from a new DCL cruiser, thanks so much for summarizing these valuable tips
Exceptional summary!

This will be our second cruise, the three day one was just a tease - lol
Palo's charges are now $20 pp for Dinner and Brunch. Looking forward to trying brunch this time

The Photo Mat was totally Amesome! and the Cast Members love treats!

Any new ideas for Cast Member treats this time?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #1405
PirateMel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedisprincesses View Post
I would also like to know this information!
We are sailing on the may 4th fantasy.
Any pool/water area tips would be great as well!
TIA
We are sailing May 4th too!

Happy cruising!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #1406
FLUFFYCAT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMel View Post
We are sailing May 4th too!

Happy cruising!
So excited we are also on the May 4th cruise!!
I bring lots of plastic zip bags large and small to put wet bathingsuits, cookies, etc. Always great to have some handy. I also love zinc oxide suntan lotion. That really stops the sunburns! .
FLUFFYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #1407
PirateMel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLUFFYCAT View Post
So excited we are also on the May 4th cruise!!
I bring lots of plastic zip bags large and small to put wet bathingsuits, cookies, etc. Always great to have some handy. I also love zinc oxide suntan lotion. That really stops the sunburns! .

SPF 110 For my Hubby! - lol
Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #1408
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseulalie View Post
I cannot believe this thread is still going strong!!! I created this thread- how long ago??? It's still on the 1-2nd page all the time!! Over 500,000 views!!! COOL!!!

Happy cruising my friends!!!
This is and has been a GREAT thread!! I'm so glad you started it!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #1409
tchrrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLUFFYCAT View Post
I also love zinc oxide suntan lotion.
Can you buy this at stores such as Wal-mart, or is it a specialty product? I've never heard of it.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #1410
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMel View Post

Any new ideas for Cast Member treats this time?
We just got off the Dream in March and we gave our servers and room attendant pure Vermont maple syrup. They loved it and said they (the servers) were each going home next month and since it was sealed bottles they will wait until they go home to enjoy with their families. Something local that reflects your hometowns are always appreciated IMO.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: