Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Why the DHS Parades Have Been Discontinued

I have received information from a very reliable source.

As many are aware, today has been the last day for both the Pixar Parade and the Disney Channel Rocks Parade/show. The Pixar Parade would come in close to the entry gates; the Disney Channel Rocks would both come in and depart close to the entry gates.

Both of these parades use many wireless microphones and many other electronics for control purposes. It was found that all of these when coming close to the entry area at DHS they have been causing interference with the wireless controls for the touch points and the reading to the hand-held devices for the people working the entry.

Until such time as they are able to prevent any interference there will be no parades.

Additionally, it has been found that the AK Parade causes interference in some of the merchandise locations with the RFID touch pad sensors.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post

As many are aware, today has been the last day for both the Pixar Parade and the Disney Channel Rocks Parade/show. The Pixar Parade would come in close to the entry gates; the Disney Channel Rocks would both come in and depart close to the entry gates.

Both of these parades use many wireless microphones and many other electronics for control purposes. It was found that all of these when coming close to the entry area at DHS they have been causing interference with the wireless controls for the touch points and the reading to the hand-held devices for the people working the entry.

Until such time as they are able to prevent any interference there will be no parades.

Additionally, it has been found that the AK Parade causes interference in some of the merchandise locations with the RFID touch pad sensors.
Thanks for the info! Not as interesting as tearing down the Hat or clearing the way for a new land, but interesting nonetheless.

The Law of Unintended Consequences shows itself for probably the first time.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Thanks, CF! Interesting... Glad you let us know, as it sounds very probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Thanks for the info! Not as interesting as tearing down the Hat or clearing the way for a new land, but interesting nonetheless.

The Law of Unintended Consequences shows itself for probably the first time.
Amen! But just wait, this is just the beginning!
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

On no

We leave in 2 weeks and seriously my older DS has been looking soooo forward to the DHS Pixar parade. Can't they just re-route the parade? What a huge bummer.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hopefully this won't cause the AK parade to be stopped for awhile, it's our favourite parade from all the parks.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
If true, that would be the case at MK many times over, I'd think.

Longer parade route, far more stores and kiosks along that route, and more parades.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Blessedwithboys
Mouseketeer

Super sad..... but I think they will figure it all out. Parades are one of my families favorite activities at Disney, we would hate to see them go due to "new technology" ack :/
Blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

They aren't stopping the AK parade though right?

I plan our trip around the parades since they are DD's absolute favorite.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

Nothing has been announced about the AK parade.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment

I don't know. I don't really buy it. Microphones and other communication devices don't normally interfere with RFID. Wireless LAN signals would be more likely to cause interference and Disney just recently upgraded their wireless infrastructure in all the parks so they must have already thought of possible interference

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using DISBoards

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
TravelAgentJen
Thats what my fam calls me

HS Parade

We were planning our whole HS days around getting to see this parade FOR THE FIRST TIME bc I really thought my boys were going to love it. It's was a hard time to catch for kids who take naps though. So I'm so sad to hear this news
Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Just look at it as the first dose of "surprise and delight" brought to you by My Magic+......

And you guys all wondered how it was going to save the company money!
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
mistysue
DIS Veteran

I hope it doesn't effect the AK parade- we like it so much we listen to the soundtrack in my car year round. (5 days a week it is the music to and from daycare!)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
If true, that would be the case at MK many times over, I'd think.

Longer parade route, far more stores and kiosks along that route, and more parades.
They may not use the same tech for the parades in the MK.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Jenn
DIS Veteran

Just back and saw both from a distance- I would have paid more attention if I knew they were done .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: