Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #136
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevschickee View Post

So it's self centered for someone to eat peanuts but not for the person who expects people to change for them?
If eating peanuts could cause someone to die because of a life threatening allergy and you choose to put your own need to eat peanuts in front of that then yes it is self centered. Most reasonable thinking people would understand that. Now I guess if you have life threatening need to eat peanuts then I guess the two of you would have to draw straws to see who gets to live!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #137
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy
If eating peanuts could cause someone to die because of a life threatening allergy and you choose to put your own need to eat peanuts in front of that then yes it is self centered. Most reasonable thinking people would understand that. Now I guess if you have life threatening need to eat peanuts then I guess the two of you would have to draw straws to see who gets to live!
I guess so but I would win

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #138
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
I have to ask if your son eats any other form of protein could he potentially die or is PB just the only kind he likes? Also if he doesn't have protein on a flight that last a few hours could he potentially die? I think if the answer is no then in cases like this the person with the life threatening disability trumps your kids needs to eat PB.
As I've previously stated, it is the only protein he CAN eat. It has absolutely nothing to do with his likes or dislikes. There are very few foods he can eat at all...CAN eat...not LIKES to eat. This is not just a picky child we are talking about. He takes shots, enzymes, and over a dozen pills a day so don't even try to suggest that someone with an allergy has more rights than he does or has a more serious condition.

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #139
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218

As I've previously stated, it is the only protein he CAN eat. It has absolutely nothing to do with his likes or dislikes. There are very few foods he can eat at all...CAN eat...not LIKES to eat. This is not just a picky child we are talking about. He takes shots, enzymes, and over a dozen pills a day so don't even try to suggest that someone with an allergy has more rights than he does or has a more serious condition.
There is no need to explain.

Danica 5 DH 32

Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #140
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No one has died on a flight from an allergic reaction to peanuts or anything else. I'm sure most people with that serious of an allergy premedicate just in case before boarding.

If you have to drive to the airport, arrive two hours before your flight, and have a flight for several hours, there aren't that many options for stable food to bring that isn't junk. They used to provide meals on most flights, now you're on your own in many cases. Peanut butter is a common choice for that situation. I've been on zero flights where this would turn out to be problem, so the issue seems greatly exaggerated on here.

I think most of the people commenting about this don't even have a peanut allergy, and just like to get riled up.

The chance of having someone on the flight with a severe peanut allergy (very small) and someone else in need of eating their peanut butter sandwich (very small) on the same flight is miniscule. This is most likely, a 10 page argument over nothing.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #141
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post

No need to get all huffy just asked a simple question about your sons disability that you had no problem bringing up so I was just trying to understand the seriousness of his situation! I was not suggesting that someone with a life threatening disability was more important then someone else with one and I have clearly stated that several times but I do believe that life threatening disabilities absolutely take priority over someone who just won't eat anything else or other medical conditions that while may be serious wont result in a loss of life!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #142
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218

Not huffy at all

Danica 5 DH 32

Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #143
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not huffy at all
Nope, there was no huffiness at all. A question was asked and simply answered.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #144
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

I am amazed that people assume that only an allergies are life threatening

Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #145
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
I am amazed that people assume that only an allergies are life threatening

I am amazed at the amount of people who are willing to knowingly put their own needs in front of those who can be seriously harmed by their actions. I also don't think anyone on this thread thinks that only allergies are life threatening but since this discussion is about flying with a life threatening allergy I can see why it is being so heavily discussed I am confused to why you can't see that. Having to consume PB or peanut products in order not to become ill is one thing but insisting that your child has to have PB products or they will have a problem coping is whole other story and it is very disconcerning that some posters(not you) would be OK allowing their child to eat something that could cause a serious threat to someone else.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #146
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am amazed at the amount of people who are willing to knowingly put their own needs in front of those who can be seriously harmed by their actions. I also don't think anyone on this thread thinks that only allergies are life threatening but since this discussion is about flying with a life threatening allergy I can see why it is being so heavily discussed I am confused to why you can't see that. Having to consume PB or peanut products in order not to become ill is one thing but insisting that your child has to have PB products or they will have a problem coping is whole other story and it is very disconcerning that some posters(not you) would be OK allowing their child to eat something that could cause a serious threat to someone else.
I'm amazed that parents of children with such deadly allergies would put them on a plane that isn't peanut free and expose them to that danger.

Danica 5 DH 32

Old 04-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #147
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm amazed that parents of children with such deadly allergies would put them on a plane that isn't peanut free and expose them to that danger.

I guess the same could be said for the parents of tons of other children with severe disabilities or serious medical conditions. See but that is where you and I differ because I will make sure that myself and my children do what we can to help accommodate those who have special needs or medical conditions because we are just those kind of people you know helpful and kind and believe that sometimes what is good for the individual is good for the group. So we are obviously are never going to see eye to eye on this or even agree to disagree so this is the last I will say on this topic.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #148
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I guess the same could be said for the parents of tons of other children with severe disabilities or serious medical conditions. See but that is where you and I differ because I will make sure that myself and my children do what we can to help accommodate those who have special needs or medical conditions because we are just those kind of people you know helpful and kind and believe that sometimes what is good for the individual is good for the group. So we are obviously are never going to see eye to eye on this or even agree to disagree so this is the last I will say on this topic.
ok sounds good

Danica 5 DH 32

Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #149
DCDisney
On my way...

Besides people choosing to eat peanuts there are also plenty of people who don't speak English, have headphones on, sleep, etc. I'm allergic but always assume its not a safe environment. If someone does start eating it near enough that I realize I walk away for awhile. I feel bad for my family b/c I can't pack PB for them and when we have tight connections sometimes they end up with no real food . I wouldn't expect a stranger to do that for me. I buy the little sealed packages of jif to go for them to eat when they aren't at home or with me so I don't have to worry about PB at home. We have an entire county rec center here that is supposed to be peanut free b/c of 1 employee. When they have swim meets there pretty much nothing can be done because kids don't have access to other food and there all day.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #150
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I am going to close this thread at this point because it is ending up the same way that every other thread about peanut allergies and flying have ended up - without agreement and with hard feelings.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: