Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School

Changing date of cruise after final payment

Hello all,

Forgive me if this has been covered before, I haven't been able to find it if it has.

My family and I are scheduled to sail Dream in early October. Our final payment is due in a few months. We did purchase the insurance along with our trip.

There is a possibility that I will change jobs over the summer and, if so, we will most likely need to delay our cruise. We don't have any interest in canceling outright - (the family would kill me!) - but it may need to be pushed into early 2014 instead.

Does anyone know what is the latest you can make a change of sailing date? What fees are associated with making such a change?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

I'm subscribing because I need to know this too. I want to get one for my daughter's fall break and would like to go ahead and start paying on one, but all I know is it will be a Thursday and Friday in either October or November because it changes each year. I may not know her actual fall break dates until the end of August, which is after I would have it paid for. I know I'd have to pay any difference in the cruise price, but want to know what other fees would be involved.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Assuming non concierge... Also, assuming you purchased DCL insurance...

You can move the date of the trip prior to your PIF (75 days) without any penalties. If you move it after your PIF, there is a penalty. I believe 45-74 days is the loss of the deposit. 30-44 days is 50% of the vacation price.

Regarding DCL insurance, typically it is lost, however I've heard they will apply it towards the new cruise, but not sure.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Once past the PIF date it is probably "officially" subject to the cancellation policy. Whether DCL might be willing to bypass the cancellation fees and just charge a change-fee may depend on how sympathetic the reservations agent is when you call, but you should probably expect to be held to the cancellation fees.

CRUISE CANCELLATION FEES:
CATEGORIES WITH RESTRICTIONS: Reservations for Inside, Outside or Verandah Categories with Restrictions are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-TRANSFERABLE. A 100% cruise cancellation fee applies from time of payment.

Cruises Less Than 10 days where Embark or Debark is U.S. Port

Days prior to Vacation Commencement Date Fee Amount

45 days or more Deposit per Guest for Suites/Concierge staterooms and all staterooms on Disney Fantasy 31-Mar-2012 sailing
75 to 45 days Deposit per Guest for Non-Suites/Concierge rooms
44 to 30 days 50% of vacation price per Guest
29 to 15 days 75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less No refund

Good luck with the new job and enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2babies View Post
I'm subscribing because I need to know this too. I want to get one for my daughter's fall break and would like to go ahead and start paying on one, but all I know is it will be a Thursday and Friday in either October or November because it changes each year. I may not know her actual fall break dates until the end of August, which is after I would have it paid for. I know I'd have to pay any difference in the cruise price, but want to know what other fees would be involved.
Is your daughter in college or elementary/high school? Most school districts finalize the schedule for the next year even before the current year is out, you may want to explain your situation and ask soon what dates the fall break will be.

Wonder 12/21/08, Dream 03/27/12, Fantasy 07/14/12, Dream 10/07/12, Dream 10/11/12, Fantasy 05/25/13, Magic 12/22/13, Magic 12/27/13, Magic 12/30/13, Fantasy 05/31/14
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

You could always push it to a later date now, and then move it back when you know. Might have to deal with not getting the room you want though.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensDaddy View Post
Hello all,

Forgive me if this has been covered before, I haven't been able to find it if it has.

My family and I are scheduled to sail Dream in early October. Our final payment is due in a few months. We did purchase the insurance along with our trip.

There is a possibility that I will change jobs over the summer and, if so, we will most likely need to delay our cruise. We don't have any interest in canceling outright - (the family would kill me!) - but it may need to be pushed into early 2014 instead.

Does anyone know what is the latest you can make a change of sailing date? What fees are associated with making such a change?

Thanks in advance!
Except for concierge, if you move before your final payment date, there's no problem at all.
After the final payment date, it's considered a cancellation and a rebooking. If you have DCL insurance, you do the following: File a claim with the insurance. Wait until they deny the claim. Then contact DCL and they will apply the non-refundable fees (other than the insurance) to your new cruise. This assumes you have time to go through the process before the final payment date of the new cruise - otherwise, the credit would likely go to some other future cruise.

This is, by the way, the only really good thing about the DCL insurance - it's effectively "cancel for any reason" as long as you don't mind the refund going to a future cruise.
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
s232271
Mouseketeer

what about changing a passenger's name AFTER you have Paid in FUll??
I cannot find info on this either. thanks!
s232271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s232271 View Post
what about changing a passenger's name AFTER you have Paid in FUll??
I cannot find info on this either. thanks!
It is $50 to change a name after the paid in full date
Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
s232271
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell60 View Post

It is $50 to change a name after the paid in full date
Great thanks!!
s232271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You can actually change a name for no cost up until 15 or 20 days from the cruise date, unless that has changed recently.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
mhl1414
Mouseketeer

How would this work?

Wrong place posted. Sorry!

Last edited by mhl1414; 04-06-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: wrong place
mhl1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
You can actually change a name for no cost up until 15 or 20 days from the cruise date, unless that has changed recently.
Hmm, I had called and asked about this recently because DH may have a work conflict and I was told $50.00 to change a name. So, maybe it has changed.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School

Just reviewed the insurance and it says that basically we could cancel / rebook if I were laid off or terminated. My situation is different however,

I have applied for a job requiring a lengthy background check. IF I am hired I will be sent to training (6-8 weeks) in September / October time frame.

Our cruise is scheduled for October 2nd. Now if they don't hire me, then we would like to take the cruise as originally planned.

If they do, we will want to reschedule - unfortunately we probably won't know until about 2 weeks prior to the training date (which is smack in the middle of the date range I was told to expect for training).

So, I guess the question is, what should I do now? Final payment is due in late July.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you move a cruise after the PIF date it's considered a cancellation, and you pay the applicable cancellation penalty for the date you move it.

You could find a cruise that is after your training date would be and move it before your PIF date. Pick a cruise that would have a PIF date long after you would know for sure. Then if you don't get hired, move it back to October 2. That should work unless October 2 sells out or you have a strong preference for a certain stateroom or category. of course if you need flights, you might have to wait to book flights, and it's most often not so easy to cancel or move flights.

or talk to the job and see if they'll schedule your training so you can make the cruise. I had a co-worker who just did that for a new job he got, so that he could attend a wedding. But then a wedding is a one-time event, so we hope, and a cruise can be rescheduled.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 04-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: