Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
mistysue
DIS Veteran

It was the recent number of dog questions that inspired this question.
Luckily, DS isn't going to die from dog contact, I just like to avoid him being all full of hives and itchy. His skin cracks and bleeds, so he sort of starts to look scary if he runs into too many things, but he lives.
The soap used on the dog is a good question- that would be great news. Our lives were more fun when I could give him benadryl, he would rub his eyes twice and it was out of his system. This is the only dog he's had even 2nd hand contact with in the last year.
I hope he doesn't react if somebody nearby has a dog, but honestly we really don't know. His body is crazy right now. Two years ago he wasn't allergic to anything, now we have to think twice about every single place we try to go. He came home from preschool with hives all over his face the other day because the other kids had an egg hunt- nobody even opened any of them and he was too afraid to touch them.

I'm sorry for those of you who have to deal with people and "pretend" service dogs. I couldn't imagine faking something like that. I thought it sounded strange how some of these threads make them sound so common, but around town I have maybe seen a dozen of them in my entire life. (they seem to train some at our mall, but I'm not counting those)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #17
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
It was the recent number of dog questions that inspired this question.
Luckily, DS isn't going to die from dog contact, I just like to avoid him being all full of hives and itchy. His skin cracks and bleeds, so he sort of starts to look scary if he runs into too many things, but he lives.
The soap used on the dog is a good question- that would be great news. Our lives were more fun when I could give him benadryl, he would rub his eyes twice and it was out of his system. This is the only dog he's had even 2nd hand contact with in the last year.
I hope he doesn't react if somebody nearby has a dog, but honestly we really don't know. His body is crazy right now. Two years ago he wasn't allergic to anything, now we have to think twice about every single place we try to go. He came home from preschool with hives all over his face the other day because the other kids had an egg hunt- nobody even opened any of them and he was too afraid to touch them.

I'm sorry for those of you who have to deal with people and "pretend" service dogs. I couldn't imagine faking something like that. I thought it sounded strange how some of these threads make them sound so common, but around town I have maybe seen a dozen of them in my entire life. (they seem to train some at our mall, but I'm not counting those)
I had to laugh, not to belittle your sons allergy but it brought back a memory from my school days. Quite by accident I realized after eating tiny tarts one day that I broke out in a rash. So what did this poor blind girl do, she ate tiny tarts before every math test for the next three years and was sent to the nurses office and sent home. It took them three years to figure out what I was doing. My dad was not to pleased and neither was my bottom. Who would have known that that little girl who hated math would grow up to hold 4 masters degrees. Again not to belittle what trama allergies can be, but sometimes it does help to have them, at least until they catch on and tell your dad.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmt View Post
I had to laugh, not to belittle your sons allergy but it brought back a memory from my school days. Quite by accident I realized after eating tiny tarts one day that I broke out in a rash. So what did this poor blind girl do, she ate tiny tarts before every math test for the next three years and was sent to the nurses office and sent home. It took them three years to figure out what I was doing. My dad was not to pleased and neither was my bottom. Who would have known that that little girl who hated math would grow up to hold 4 masters degrees. Again not to belittle what trama allergies can be, but sometimes it does help to have them, at least until they catch on and tell your dad.
That's hilarious. I would expect that sort of issue with my son if he didn't have so many things he reacted to. As is, we never know how much of anything he will need or how bad the reaction will be so he is just afraid of everything. As things are now we can just be hanging out having a normal evening and then "hey, honey, did Gabe just... walk into the wall... oh.. wait..." and suddenly he is just laying on the floor dizzy and itching from god knows what. Unfortunately for him, once the daycare started to see it everybody's first response is allergy instead of illness.
Besides him nobody near us has allergies so we wouldn't have picked up on something like that either. He's the random allergy person on the family tree. Our families don't even have seasonal allergies.

I like vacations.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #19
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Also something to consider - there are going to be service dogs in all Disney venues (at least at some point in the past!) and service dogs ARE allowed on ride vehicles (some of them). Obviously Disney is not going to make you ride with a dog (one of the parties will just wait for another vehicle), but it is possible that you may be in a vehicle or show area that had a dog in it earlier in the day. Would this cause problems? Dogs are almost always going to be on the floor, but their owners would understandably have dog hair on them and their hands.

I doubt this would cause any major problems but I suggest you keep a big thing of wet wipes in your bag/pocket and have him wipe his hands frequently. That way you can avoid problems (especially since there are all the cooties in the world at Disney anyway!)

Are you flying to Disney? Many airlines (if not most) allow pets in the cabin, not just service dogs. This allergy sounds severe enough that if you are flying, you should call the airline and say you need a dog-free flight (not sure how this works if a person requires a service dog on the same plane - there has been a TON of debate about that on the boards, and I really am trying not to open that can on worms!) I mean to help you avoid people traveling with animals who are pets.

Hope this helps.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Also something to consider - there are going to be service dogs in all Disney venues (at least at some point in the past!) and service dogs ARE allowed on ride vehicles (some of them). Obviously Disney is not going to make you ride with a dog (one of the parties will just wait for another vehicle), but it is possible that you may be in a vehicle or show area that had a dog in it earlier in the day. Would this cause problems? Dogs are almost always going to be on the floor, but their owners would understandably have dog hair on them and their hands.

I doubt this would cause any major problems but I suggest you keep a big thing of wet wipes in your bag/pocket and have him wipe his hands frequently. That way you can avoid problems (especially since there are all the cooties in the world at Disney anyway!)

Are you flying to Disney? Many airlines (if not most) allow pets in the cabin, not just service dogs. This allergy sounds severe enough that if you are flying, you should call the airline and say you need a dog-free flight (not sure how this works if a person requires a service dog on the same plane - there has been a TON of debate about that on the boards, and I really am trying not to open that can on worms!) I mean to help you avoid people traveling with animals who are pets.

Hope this helps.
I am not trying to argue with you or start any of the argument threads which happen in the past just wanted to point out other things that the op might not think about or even if everything is done to prevent the allergies just to have something the op and airline has no control over.

Your right but what happens if the plane they use for their flight had a dog on it on the flight before plus if that be a problem then most airports have place dogs TSA has dogs at most airports. So even if they could do a dog free flight they my not be able to do anything about the terminal or if an officer wants to have their dog inspect the area your sitting in. And they get close before you let them know not that they won't stop but might let you leave before the dog get close. Orlando airport has dogs from Orlando pd TSA and cbp TSA could randomly pick airplanes to inspect and the airline can't stop them so every steps they may take might get ruined.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Actually, the responses to allergies on flights on this board is why we don't fly. If people this obsessed with something like Disney can be this mean about it I don't want to know what regularly miserable people are like. It's appears to be the general concensus of non allergy people that if you even think of asking anybody a favor you don't deserve the right to fly. (makes you wonder what happens one day when they or a loved one develops an allergy and needs to get somewhere a 30 hour drive away quickly)

I like vacations.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #22
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Actually, the responses to allergies on flights on this board is why we don't fly. If people this obsessed with something like Disney can be this mean about it I don't want to know what regularly miserable people are like. It's appears to be the general concensus of non allergy people that if you even think of asking anybody a favor you don't deserve the right to fly. (makes you wonder what happens one day when they or a loved one develops an allergy and needs to get somewhere a 30 hour drive away quickly)
Thank you Misty Sue, for putting us *non allergy* people in one category......

NOT!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #23
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I sorry I was not saying you shouldn't fly all I was pointing out ways that could affect your allergies That you might not think of. You have every right to fly again sorry if you took my post to mean you shouldn't fly just because you have allergies that not what I was meaning.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #24
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Thank you Misty Sue, for putting us *non allergy* people in one category......

NOT!

AKK
I can't tell if you are joking or thinking I meant to lump people into a category- but that is not what I meant.
I don't at all think everybody really is that way, more commenting that the lack of compassion that comes across on a thread like that is sort of scary. People actually tell you that if it might inconvenience or effect anything about their life you shouldn't fly, or that it isn't their problem if their actions put somebody in danger because what they are doing is legal, as if legal and moral are the same. No, I don't think all people without allergies are like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
I sorry I was not saying you shouldn't fly all I was pointing out ways that could affect your allergies That you might not think of. You have every right to fly again sorry if you took my post to mean you shouldn't fly just because you have allergies that not what I was meaning.
I didn't take it that way at all. I don't tend to read into things like that, I don't fly because people who are direct about it worry me.

I like vacations.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #25
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=mistysue;48024733]I can't tell if you are joking or thinking I meant to lump people into a category- but that is not what I meant.
I don't at all think everybody really is that way, more commenting that the lack of compassion that comes across on a thread like that is sort of scary. People actually tell you that if it might inconvenience or effect anything about their life you shouldn't fly, or that it isn't their problem if their actions put somebody in danger because what they are doing is legal, as if legal and moral are the same. No, I don't think all people without allergies are like that.

Misty I took it that you meant anyone without a allergy a*general consensus* all thought this way:

It's appears to be the general consensus of non allergy people that if you even think of asking anybody a favor you don't deserve the right to fly

I don't have an allergy worth talking about, however my wife does. I can see the problems of different allergies cause conflicting issues.

There has to be give and take. But sometimes things are extreme and maybe, just maybe, the best thing is not to fly!

I apologize if I came on to strong........

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Yeah, I meant it seems like the consensus on those threads.
I always like to consider everybody's needs, it gets under my skin when somebody wants to fight tooth and nail for *their* accommodation and then they turn around and are willing to fight against *your* accommodation.
I just don't begrudge people their needs. The idea puzzles me.

I wanted to be sure I didn't upset you. I'm a non allergy person too.

I like vacations.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

another thing to remember that service dogs are allowed in restraunts. granted most are on floor but dpending on size of dog, it could rub agaiast chairs. plus dander will be on people with the dog will have it on them and leave on chairs. i work at a small park and they have a group that brings puppies in training as part of the training for a couple of weekend a season. almost always have people complain becuse the puppies are in restraunts. yes i have allergies not that severe but they cause problems. also with driving, if stopping for night, a lot of hotels allow pets so pet could have been in room night before and not cleaned that well. yes i travel with a pet
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: