Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at AKL it's a great resort. But I think I would switch to a different resort if money was an issue and it would be the same price.

I would leave AKL to a trip tgat I wanted to save the extra cash but still wanted to stay deluxe. Nothing against AKL at all. It's really far out and the transportation is all buses.

BC/YC you have larger rooms , and u can walk to 2 parks. Larger rooms too. SAB!

GF is great but why haven't they gotten rid of those nasty bed spreads yet???? Yuck! Honestly I just can't do it lol.

My vote is for BC/YC

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
toodycat
DIS Veteran

Our family loves AKL and GF. We haven't stayed at the BC yet, though we will be staying at BCV this summer. We love the grounds at the GF, the rooms are larger, the service is consistently excellent, the transportation to And from MK via monorail and boat is ideal and you can also get the monorail to Epcot. Bus service to the other parks is good, too. The restaurants are all great from quick service at Gasparilla's, buffet at 1900 Park Fare, and signature dining at Narcoosee's, Citrico's and V&A. We usually make an ADR at Narcoosee's no matter where we're staying. You can watch the fireworks and electrical water pageant from the beach or dock. The pools are nice and never seem crowded. But, my favorite aspect of the GF is the lobby. DH and I love to sit in the lobby and listen to the pianist or the band. It's a lovely, light-filled space. I don't think you can go wrong staying at Disney's flagship resort.

However, if you are in the mood for a completely different experience, AKL offers the opportunity to see wildlife from your balcony every day. This is a totally unique .characteristic. Rooms here are a bit smaller than GF, but still quite comfortable. The grounds have lots of spots to sit outdoors and watch the savannah or enjoy the fire pit. Strolling around the savannah viewing areas is fascinating. The lobby is gorgeous, but 180 degrees from the GF. It is dark and filled with African styled furniture and interesting cultural artifacts. CMs here are also very friendly and many are from Africa and will tell you about their customs and culture if you ask. (My DH met an AKL CM from Botswana, I think, who shared his fascination with WW 2 aircraft.) We love all the restaurants at AKL and will plan to eat at Boma or Jiko no matter where we are staying. The AKL pool is serene and well land-scaped. I've never stayed at AKL without a car, so I can't say much about transportation.

We are staying at BCV this summer for the first time, so I can't comment on it yet. I hope it is just as good or better than the GF or AKL.

Wherever you stay, have a magical vacation.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Poly and Contemporary would also be the same price range...my kids would choose one of those two...
Not a fan of GF theming, just not child inspired...I have three teenagers, one always sleeps on daybed...the ones at monorail resorts are longer than Beach club.
We prefer pool at Poly to CR but honestly we are park people..we do not spend more than a couple of hours at the pool.

Stayed at AKL, never again...hated transportation...and we had savannah view. Some friends were talked into it a few years back, tried my best to politely suggest a monorail resort..they stuck with AKL and they did not like the hassle with buses...with a monorail resort you can often be ack at your room in 10 minutes then head back to parks easily.

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

BC would be my choice. The location is ideal, walking or boat to Epcot and DHS. You have all of the Boardwalk area at your fingertips and access to Stormalong Bay, both of which are great for teens. More dining options than most resorts and lots to do. You only need to take a bus to MK, AK and DTD. On occasion the buses to DTD get crowded because people use them to get to the boardwalk area.

GF is nice if you plan on spending most of your time at MK. Since it is on the monorail loupe it is a little further from the other parks. Make sure you are aware there is currently a major construction project going in there to build the DVC rooms.

AKL, eh, not on my go to list. Location stinks for everything but AK and even there you must take a bus. In my experience the buses are slow at AKL and crowded. We go in the off season and I am not used to standing room or no room on buses. I honestly thought we would enjoy the savannah view more. Since you are going in the summer it is hot and the animals tend to lay around a lot in the shade, they are more active in the morning and evening if you are in your room at those times. Dining options are limited and just not our thing.

Like PP said, Poly is also in your price range and very nice. I think the Poly may be more suited for teen boys than GF.

Boardwalk is also in the price range, mostly the same as BC but no SAB.
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

One thing that stands out in my mind about AKL that I didn't count on was the barnyard smell! We were there in January, cooler temps but still 70s. When we would step out onto the balcony that smell would hit us! Not expected at all, and with three teenaged girls you can imagine all of the whining we heard!
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14)
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
One thing that stands out in my mind about AKL that I didn't count on was the barnyard smell! We were there in January, cooler temps but still 70s. When we would step out onto the balcony that smell would hit us! Not expected at all, and with three teenaged girls you can imagine all of the whining we heard!
Interesting. I don't like AKL for other reasons, after staying at Jambo and Kidani, but we have definitely not noticed a smell!

I wonder if they had just done landscaping and had laid down manure for that.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
Robbi
DIS Veteran

With your boy's ages, I'd either go with AKL or BC.
AKL because seeing the animals is so cool.
BC because ESPN Club is across the lake and a short walk. Also, Epcot is 5 minutes away walk and there are tons of places for your family to have a nice meal in the evening or if the boys want to go off on their own in the evenings, both the Boardwalk and Epcot have lots of things to see and do while AKL is isolated.
GF,imo, won't appeal as much to boys.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #23
osugal
Mouseketeer

I would definitely pick BCR. With the boys ages I think the beachy feel will appeal to them and SAB us amazing. But walking to Epcot in under 5 minutes is the best.

I used to think the GF was my dream resort but it seems a little stuffy to me. I don't have the same desire to stay there that I used to. Maybe someday. I think AKL would be great too but I would go with BCR.
osugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #24
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
We stayed in August and didn't smell anything

OP- I'd go with either GF or BC/YC.

We haven't stayed at GF yet, but booked a split stay this summer with GF & YC.

You can't go wrong with either. Being on monorail with GF would be nice, and I enjoy the boat to MK or Poly. Also watching Wishes and Electric Water Parade from the resort. We stayed at Poly, and loved it.

We also loved BC . Great resort, and SAB is the best pool on property. Walking to Epcot, and all the dining options in the area is great. Boat to DHS is another nice option. Many rooms have a day bed.

Both resorts have larger rooms then AKL. We did enjoy AKL, and it is a great resort too, but giving that GF & BC are cheaper, and both wonderful resorts, I'd move.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #25
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Given that your boys are older, 100% BC. The location, with all of the Epcot, Boardwalk, resort activities + SAB, seems like a no brainer.

This coming from a big time fan of AKL. GF always seems like an old lady's parlor to me.

Also consider whether they want to sleep in the same bed...you could get bunk beds at AKL, but that is even more $$$. No guarentee on daybed at BC/YC, but if you put it first in your requests, the boys might be happier. I think Poly and Contemp both guarentee daybed.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #26
Junebugwv
DIS Veteran

We stayed at BC when we had three boys with us, ages 12, 16 and 18. The guys loved the location near Epcot and went to Illuminations quite a few times. SAB was great for them, too.
Junebugwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #27
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

I'd go for BC. So much to do around there with BW right across the lake and EPCT and DHS within walking distance.

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #28
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

You have 11 and 18 year old boys.

Take a look at StormAlongBay at the Beach Club. My kids would live there if they could.

I vote for the Beach Club. You can WALK to Epcot or to DHS, the Boardwalk is right there, as is the marina, and the resort is fabulous.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
smashndash
Earning My Ears

AKL (Savannah), GF (Garden), BC (Water)

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the terrific feedback. We decided to make the switch.

Really appreciate how willing everyone is to provide helpful information. We thought we should consider switching away from AKL given the other options and after going through the responses, it was a much easier decision.

Thanks again!
smashndash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

So - which resort did you choose?

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread